14 Replies Latest reply: Nov 3, 2014 12:25 AM by brandspanking RSS

Importing multiple Camera RAW files?

d-lim Community Member

Hi,

This is my first post. I've been trying to import multiple Camera RAW files into After Effects but before each image loads into the project, After Effects forces you to click thru the Camera Raw setting window for each image.

Is there a way to disable this Camera RAW window from popping after each image to prevent the tedious task of clicking thru each window manually?

Thanks,

David

• 1. Re: Importing multiple Camera RAW files?
          bogiesan Community Member

My normal path is to convert the raw images to a sequence using a more conventional codec or, better yet, converting the image sequence to a movie.

Any particular reason you think you shoudl be handling the raw images in After Effects?

Most of the folks who attempt to process raw inside After Effecs are usually following bad advice or they are have mistaken AE's function for a video editor or an image editor. It is really neither.

• 2. Re: Importing multiple Camera RAW files?
            d-lim Community Member

Thanks for your your reply.

I'm working on a stop motion animation and my intention of importing multiple RAW files into AE was that I would be able to create an image sequence within AE then I could do some camera moves where I would have maximum resolution to play with.

Are you saying you would create the image sequence outside of AE with another NLE (e.g. Premiere, FCP, etc.) then import that into AE? Does that bypass the Camera RAW setting window for each image?

More importantly, would you lose the benefit of working with high resolution RAW images directly?

Thanks...

• 3. Re: Importing multiple Camera RAW files?
              Dave LaRonde Community Member

Is there any reason why you need RAW files?  The probable answer is, "Because that's how I shot them."

No matter.  You won't lose any resolution in AE.  You just need to learn about importing Image Sequences

Read it carefully: Adobe tends NOT to put in its documentation admonitions like, "This section is really important!  You need to know this!"  They treat all the information with equal importance as good software engineers do.  Thus, it's a very dry read.  Drink your coffee.

Furthermore, you need to learns the specifics pertaining to RAW Image Sequences.  The same warning applies.

Once you're up to speed and the sequence is in AE, know that you can play with the sequence's frame rate in the Interpret Footage settings.  You can look it up in AE's online help and using the search term Interpret Footage.  AE defaults to interpreting image sequences as 30 fps.

If you did something silly and unnecessary like shooting on 2's, you'll have to take that into account.  Or get rid of half the images in the folder where your images reside prior to importing it into AE as an image sequence.

• 4. Re: Importing multiple Camera RAW files?
                d-lim Community Member

Thanks Dave for those links.

I actually read thru them before I attempted import the Camera RAW files. I'm familiar with importing images sequences into AE but in this case I couldn't find any documentation or anything on the web about bypassing the Camera RAW settings window each time AE loads an image via Importinng Multiple Images into AE. The RAW files were intended to be use to preserve a high resolution comp to work with so we could pull off things like extreme detailed zooms.

I guess I'm looking for advice on how you or others would approach working with mulitple RAW files and having the maximum resolution to work with within AE. Would you create this sequence outside of AE with a NLE then import a giant resolution movie file into AE or would you work directly in AE, and if the latter how do you bypass that pesky Camera RAW window...

Thanks...

• 5. Re: Importing multiple Camera RAW files?

d-lim wrote:

I guess I'm looking for advice on how you or others would approach working with mulitple RAW files and having the maximum resolution to work with within AE. Would you create this sequence outside of AE with a NLE then import a giant resolution movie file into AE or would you work directly in AE, and if the latter how do you bypass that pesky Camera RAW window...

I think you're laboring under the misconception that the term "RAW" also means "has more resolution".  It doesn't.  JPEGs have the same amount of pixels in 'em as RAW.  RAW gives you far greater control over your images, however.

And PLEASE re-read that second link on how to deal with RAW image sequences, okay?

I'm still not convinced you're importing image sequences.  An image sequence comes in as a SINGLE PIECE OF FOOTAGE, and not multiple image files.  If you got your stop-motion shots out of sequence, that's problem, and you could be stuck importing multiple images unless you're VEEEEWY CAWEFUW about segregating those shot sequences into individual folders.

• 6. Re: Importing multiple Camera RAW files?
                    d-lim Community Member

Ok a couple things..

Yes, you are right I'm confusing RAW with "contains more resolution." As you stated the fact of the matter remains that I shot these images in RAW so would you save these out as JPEGs before you bring them into AE?

Here's how I'm importing the image sequence:

Import -> Mulitple Files-> (select all RAW files in my targeted folder) -> Import as Camera Raw Sequence

Having gone thru these steps I get the Camera Raw settings window for the first Image in the Sequence. When I click OK, AE will do a couple seconds of processing then another Camera Raw settings window will pop up, this one is for the second image in the sequence. I click OK again, and then the same thing repeats onward for all the other images I want to bring in. If I manually click thru Camera Raw windows, AE will eventually provide a comp showing all the images as a SINGLE PIECE OF FOOTAGE.

Am I doing something out of place here?

• 7. Re: Importing multiple Camera RAW files?

Import multiple files is used when you want to import different pieces of footage, and keep importing until you're all done.  In this case your goal is to import ONE piece of footage -- an image sequence -- so just use the Import Footage command, highlight the first file, and at the bottom you'll find a "as image sequence" check box.  If the numbers at the end of the file names aren't in perfect sequential order, there may be an additional "ignore non-sequential filenames" or something like that.

If the shots look good, and you don't have to futz with the exposure or tweak colors, by all means save them as JPEGs.

• 8. Re: Importing multiple Camera RAW files?

Yes, that is how it's supposed to work. AE has no way of knowing you want to apply the same settings to every image because that would make the whole raw image importing capability a waste of functions. AE assumes you want to import raw images because you want to tweak every one. I would assume that, too. A conventional DSLR image is about 3Kx4K pixels these days, 12 million pixels. Full 1080 HD is aonly only about 2 million. You're overresolving your production format by a factor of 6. You will start to feel that as you apply filters and moves. I only use full rez raw images in the scenes where I know I need the magnification. Otherwise, I'm downconverting to jpg or tiff images that are, say, 1500x2000 pixels for the regular sequences.

• 9. Re: Importing multiple Camera RAW files?
                          d-lim Community Member

With Raw files selected, the option to "Import As Footage" is greyed-out and the only two other options are to Import As Raw files individually or to Import As Camera Raw Sequence.

Looks like the answer is converting the Raw Files to JPEGs before bringing them into AE. At least now, I'll have the comfort of knowing that there is no loss in image quality with working hi res JPEG vs. RAW.

Thanks for all the feedback!

• 10. Re: Importing multiple Camera RAW files?

Do you have any experience with timelapse? There are dedicated Photoshop scripts for processing raw files to stabilize exposure variations and color correct. BAsically, the user establishes a base image and the script tweaks all of the raws that have the same content. Timescapes.org is one online resource. Lots of the pwoer users there have created and will share or at least point you to scripts for AE that help smooth out the raw conundrums.

luck.

• 11. Re: Importing multiple Camera RAW files?
                              d-lim Community Member

Will check these out. Thanks!

• 12. Re: Importing multiple Camera RAW files?
                                brandspanking Community Member

This thread started out as very hopefull but quickly turned into something rather useless. What our deer friend asks is right on the money of the issue i'm having. I've got a film shot on Digital Bolex. It records to dng image sequences (wich is awesome) but upon importing these i get this popup asking me to change some of the properties for every shot! That said, i think it's truely shamefull Adobe just let's this be. Please just take this month's 80 euro's and have a programmer fix this instead of turning the interface blue. There's a lot to be gained in the way after effects handles file io.

• 13. Re: Importing multiple Camera RAW files?

brandspanking wrote:

This thread started out as very hopefull but quickly turned into something rather useless. What our deer friend asks is right on the money of the issue i'm having. I've got a film shot on Digital Bolex. It records to dng image sequences (wich is awesome) but upon importing these i get this popup asking me to change some of the properties for every shot! That said, i think it's truely shamefull Adobe just let's this be. Please just take this month's 80 euro's and have a programmer fix this instead of turning the interface blue. There's a lot to be gained in the way after effects handles file io.

This thread does not address your narrowly specific needs about CinemaDNG which is neither like bulk processing raw images from a DSLR nor like importing a high quality, but low bandwidth, format like ProRes422. This thread started out hopeful and it ended as "solved" for the original inquiry.

You would be far better served by starting a new thread here specifically about the highly specific Digital Bolex workflow or seeking advice directly from the manufacturer, or other DigiBol users, who might solve this for you immediately. As Todd explains, CinemaDNG was an open source project that Adobe let loose into the world and that others will develop. I do not know why there has been so little progress on the CinemaDNG format since these threads from 2012 aside from the logical conclusion that there simply is no significant demand in the marketplace.

Re: CinemaDNG

Re: CinemaDNG initiative retired from Adobe Labs

CinemaDNG in After Effects CS6 (and elsewhere) | After Effects region of interest

DigiBol recommends their own custom software for transcoding and that seems to be perfectly good advice. From the Digital Bolex site:

We’ve thought about the workflow of the D16 since the first day we imagined it. Given the lack of CinemaDNG tools on the market, we always knew we would have to build our own software in order to take the best advantage of what RAW has to offer and to help push acquisition technology to a more RAW-friendly environment.

Q: What is different about a raw workflow from a compressed one?A: Raw workflows require an extra step called transcoding. This extra step gives you much higher control over your image than standard video allows. Doing this step in post also means that you don’t have to do it on set, saving you valuable production time!

Q: Does the D16 come with software?A: Yes! The D16 comes with Bolex LightPost, a simple to use raw transcoding software for Mac designed by the internationally renowned company Pomfort. You can download a free 14-day trial on the LightPost product page.

Q: Why did you make your own software?A: The Bolex software will be intended to make the transcoding process as easy and quick as possible, while still maintaining very high image quality.These are our three mantras:Keep it raw as long as you can.Transcode only once.Transcode only what you need to transcode.You can read more about it here: Software + Workflow

• 14. Re: Importing multiple Camera RAW files?
                                    brandspanking Community Member

In my case it's dng files. In David's case it's (other) raw files. In any case it's the import screen on all raw images. I'm not trying to be specific, i'm simply crying for adobe to do something about importing image sequences, and specifically raw images. Just so i'm clear i'm talking about: CRW, NEF, RAF, ORF, MRW, DCR, MOS, RAW, PEF, SRF, DNG, X3F, CR2 and ERF files.

The simple question would be; like david's asked for:

Is there a way to disable this Camera RAW window from popping after each image to prevent the tedious task of clicking thru each window manually?

The "correct" answer provided by you actually is not the answer to the question... Suddenly it's all about resolution? I truly don't understand how this thread went from a good and solid question to the person asking the question completely being put on the wrong path.

I'll have the comfort of knowing that there is no loss in image quality with working hi res JPEG vs. RAW.

The above quote is where my friend David thanks everyone for their help. He now has learnt that JPEG files have no loss in image quality as compared to RAW files.

Great solve, great solve...