• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I break a long clip into small clips?

New Here ,
Feb 23, 2012 Feb 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Premiere Pro 5.5.2 (as part of the CS5.5 Production Premiere Suite), on an iMac running OS 10.7.3.

I captured a 2 hour 8mm video, using a Canon Elura 100 digital video camera as the digital encoder pass-through device. The movie(s) was(were) captured perfectly well by Premiere Pro, but as scene detection or clip detection was not available, I have one, long, 2-hour clip. This includes a number of different "movies" of various family activities that ocurred during the span of time the the movie footage captured.

I realize now that I probably should have stopped and started the capture at each different segment....but that was then and here I am now!

One of the reasons to break up the footage, and create new clips, is my father-in-law would like a certain segment for a project he is working on. I would like to send him a clip that is just the portion of my large clip, rather than the whole thing - - - at present I have one, 27.57GB clip, which is a little too large to conveniently send to him.

I am a novice user of PPro (used PE 7 prior), and I have been searching various forums and helps for an answer to my dilemma, but so far have not stumbled upon the answer.

Hoping someone out there can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Not a big deal capturing the whole movie as a whole. Just double click the movie from your bin, to bring it in the preview window and then mark an "in" and an "out" on your footage. Then just drag that video back to the bin, and PP makes a "sub-clip" for you. Mind you, this is just a link to your original "full" movie. If you want to export for your f-i-l, just bring that clip down to the timeline and do an export to your file of choice.

Hope that helps,

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your response. (Including your defense of "the novice" ). I had looked through the sections of the Help file that I thought pertained to this task, but I will admit I did not read the Help file cover to cover - - - so I am willing to accept Jim's criticism to that extent.

Just to be clear, what I want to be able to send to my f-i-l, is a "raw data" file that he can import to his project. He is working with Premiere Elements 7, so I want to be careful not to ultimately send him something he has difficulty working with. And furthermore, he is a great-grandfather many times over, so the fact that he is even tackling a video-based family history project of the magnitude he is doing, is something I admire and don't want to add confusion.....I am his "Help Desk" for most computer matters, so if I send him an exported video file, fully rendered and encoded etc., and expect him to "rip" it back to a format where he can edit it and put it into his project ....... well, I see trouble on the horizon.

So I'll try your suggestion and hopefully by your comment to "....export to file of your choice...." will allow me to basically send him a *.mov, or *.avi type of file that he can simply import with no additional requirements of decoding or whatever.

Again, thank you, as well as others who have replied. I will reply again, in due course, with an update of my progress, or lack thereof!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been searching various forums and helps for an answer to my dilemma, but so far have not stumbled upon the answer.

You forgot the one thing that would have given you the answer, the one place all users new to PP should start before actually using the software on a project - the Help file.

Once you know how to use the program, you will know how to perform this task.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Jim,

He did state that he is a novice, which we all were at one point. Cut the guy some slack...geeez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Easiest way is with the razor tool. Just move the red line (position marker) to where you want and cut it. Once you have it cut into seperate clips you can add extra sequences and then cut and paste each piece into a new sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Easiest way actually... is to set in and out points from the Source Monitor. Insert to Sequence then Export

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines