3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 25, 2012 5:46 AM by LRuser24 RSS

Possible bug: Synchronize and Copy/Paste of Develop Settings

LRuser24 Community Member

Don't know if this is already known (I searched and found nothing):

When synchronizing or copy/pasting development settings, the process version is *always* copied to the destination photo, even if "calibration" was *not* selected in the copy/sync dialog, e.g. when just copying the color settings.

• 1. Re: Possible bug: Synchronize and Copy/Paste of Develop Settings
          Cornelia-I Community Member

Are you sure it is a bug?

What exactly have been your test cases when you experienced this:

• what PV was the version you copied your setting from, and what was the version you copied them to?
          • And which settings?

Reason why I'm asking:

There are settings that are present only in either PV, even if you would not think that. Clarity e.g. is there meaning PV2010, whereas the new is named Clarity2012*.

If you want to copy settings for fill light and recovery, it needs to change to PV2010, I would assume, since they are gone for PV2012.

Vice versa for whites/blacks/highlights/shadows.

*Exposure2012, Contrast2012, Highlights2012, Shadows2012, Whites2012, Blacks2012, Clarity2012, ToneCurvePV2012Red/Green/Blue

Where would you find that?

Beat showed me the path: save some default settings for one of your cameras/ISO and have a look at the file with any text editor. You find it in

%appdata%\Adobe\CameraRaw\Defaults\Default_xxxxxxxxxx.xmp (Windows)

So depending what settings you might want to copy it is actually a feature - my current guess.

• 2. Re: Possible bug: Synchronize and Copy/Paste of Develop Settings
            b_gossweiler Community Member

Cornelia-I wrote:

Where would you find that?

Beat showed me the path: save some default settings for one of your cameras/ISO and have a look at the file with any text editor. You find it in

%appdata%\Adobe\CameraRaw\Defaults\Default_xxxxxxxxxx.xmp (Windows)

Actually, an easy way to see the differences is to create a develop preset based on an image's settings (one for an image in PV2010 and one for an image in PV2012) and have a look at the preset contect with an editor.

Beat

• 3. Re: Possible bug: Synchronize and Copy/Paste of Develop Settings
              LRuser24 Community Member

Cornelia-I wrote:

...What exactly have been your test cases when you experienced this:

• what PV was the version you copied your setting from, and what was the version you copied them to?
              • And which settings?...

I was testing some comparisons between PV 2010 and 2012. For that, I used a master photo set to PV 2010 and a virtual copy that I set to PV 2012. I applied some basic tonal settings to both to compare the artifacts at contrast edges.

Then I did some color changes with the HSL controls on the PV 2010 master and wanted to copy them to the PV 2012 virtual copy. As far as I know, HSL has not changed from PV 2010 to PV 2012. So, I selected both photos, with the master as the active one (in the film strip of the develop module), started the synchronize dialog, selected "nothing", then only the two "color" options, and "OK".

Result: The destination photo (the virtual copy with PV 2012) changed to PV 2010 and apparently, LR didn't even try to save the tonal settings somehow, because they were all reset to Adobe defaults.

The same happened even if I tried to synchronize only the crop settings, or even "nothing" (i.e. no option selected in the dialog). So It doesn't seem to have anything to do with PV-depending settings at all.

Cornelia-I wrote:

So depending what settings you might want to copy it is actually a feature - my current guess.

I still think it is a bug, because there should never be the need to copy the PV, except when explicitely selected by the user. Look at what LR does when manually switching the PV on a single picture: It tries to roughly "translate" e.g. the tonal settings from one PV to another (at least I have seen this for PV 2010 => PV 2012), with a warning dialog that the photo may not look as intended. Synchronize and copy/paste should behave in the same way IMHO.

Edit: System configuration: Windows 7 64 Bit German, LR4Beta 64 Bit, Language Auto (= German).