• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I fix error 523:523?

New Here ,
Feb 11, 2012 Feb 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When trying to open PDF documents online I get Adobe error message 523:523.  Using IE with Adobe X and Windows Vista Home Basic.  How dod I fix this problem?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you open Adobe Reader by itself without an error?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I go to Adobe Reader on my computer I can open it locally and open files I have saved.  Occasionally I can open files from online but most of the time not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 13, 2012 Feb 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you give us the address of a public PDF files where this happens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 14, 2012 Feb 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you also let us know if you are using a 64 bit OS or a 32 bit OS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2012 Feb 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

32-bit.

Some files that I haven't been able to open:

www.undercurrent.org/members/ucnow/currentissue.pdf

www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/infomgt/forms/eforms/dd2656.pdf

Hope you can help - this situation is not good.

Charlie Brown

PO Box 1417

El Granada, CA 94018

Cell 650/922-3777

"There is no greater service to this country than the defense of its

freedom."

-- Barry M.

Goldwater, 1909-1998

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 19, 2012 Feb 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

chief_charlie37 wrote:

Some files that I haven't been able to open:

www.undercurrent.org/members/ucnow/currentissue.pdf

www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/infomgt/forms/eforms/dd2656.pdf

The first requires a password, the second opens without a problem.

Sorry, I do not know what that error 523:523 means; is there any additional info with it, or is it just these numbers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 24, 2012 Feb 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting the same result as Pat.  I can open www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/infomgt/forms/eforms/dd2656.pdf just fine. 

What does the error message say?  Can you please take a screenshot of the error dialog?  Which IE version are you running?  Are you getting the same error with Firefox or Chrome?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2012 Feb 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attached is the error dialog that I sometimes get when trying to open .pdf

links/files from other open files. Today I was able to open the dd2656.pdf

just fine. Sometimes if I save the desired file by right clicking on the

url line and saving it as a picture I can then open it from the picture

folder. I tried a link from the www.hud.gov <http://www.hud.gov/> page and

got the error dialog again, as in the attachment to this message. But,

later, I tried it again from the hud.org link and it opened just fine. I

don't understand what is going on.

I have a 32-bit machine, using IE ver. 9, and have never used Firefox or

Chrome. Appreciate your interest and help.

Charlie Brown

freedom."

-- Barry M.

Goldwater, 1909-1998

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 25, 2012 Feb 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, there is no attachment to your post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2012 Feb 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess attaching it like in a regular message didn't work.

The dialog box for the problem states:

"There is a problem with Adobe Acrobat/Reader. If it is running, please

exit and try again. (523:523)"

Charlie Brown

PO Box 1417

El Granada, CA 94018

Cell 650/922-3777

freedom."

-- Barry M.

Goldwater, 1909-1998

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2012 Mar 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Error 523 March 2 2012.jpg

Me too!  I'm getting the same error, and I'm running:

- Windows 7 Professional 6.1.7600 (32 bit)

- Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421

- Adobe Reader X

I can open Adobe by itself without an error, but when I try to open PDFs on webpages (like any of the PDF maps on this page:  http://www.cbe.ab.ca/programs/languages/french1.asp

it gives me the error above.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 02, 2012 Mar 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any other version of Acrobat or Reader installed on your system?  What is the path that is listed Preferences > Internet > "Display PDF in browser"?  Is the protected mode enabled (Preferences > General > Enable Protected Mode at startup)?  Try running repair and see if the problem goes away.  To run repair, launch Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > choose Adobe Reader > choose Change > choose Repair.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2012 Mar 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HURRAY!  Thanks pdfacro123!

I disabled the "Protect Mode" and now everything is working and I don't get the error when using PDFs in my browser.  Thanks again!

BD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 13, 2012 Jun 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the  same problem  the  last few  days.i have win 7 x64  and the problem is when i trying to open pdf on line.i'm  in use  firefox.i have  reader 10.1.3.what can i do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 20, 2012 Jul 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you getting the error even with the Protected Mode disabled?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 20, 2012 Jul 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2014 Sep 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disabled the "Protect Mode" at start up too and now everything is working!

(W7 Ultimate 64 bits / Adobe Reader XI)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2013 Apr 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started having the same problem. This is a brand new Dell Precision T7600 Workstation with Windows 7 SP1 x64 16MB of memory, Sata hard drives, etc (this is one of the most stable computers ever manufacturered meeting,complying and exceeding ISV-Certified standards) ...

I manage over 200 PC's with similar configurations. I've never seen this particular problem before. It is happening to my customer using Adobe Reader XI (11.0.2). He only uses on his computer Microsoft Office 2010, AutoCad 2012 and Norton Internet Security. They have 19 other identical computers with identical hardware and software configurations. Only one up till now is presenting the problem.

The message is as stated above:

"There is a problem with Adobe Acrobat Reader. If it is running, please exit and try again. (523:523)"

There is a problem with Adobe AcrobatReader. If it is running, please exit and try again. (523523).png

Initially I thought it was an IE10 issue (since it started around the time IE10 was released) but as I've investigated on the web over the last couple of weeks it is also happening on other versions of IE and FireFox, other versions of Windows as well as with other versions of Adobe Reader and Acrobat. The problem seems to be without a doubt an Adobe issue.

What is throwing me off is that I have 18 other computers of the same model with identical software images as the one above. I've tried re-installing Adobe Reader, protected mode "on-off" solutions suggested, downgrading back to IE9, disabling all non-Microsoft startup items and many other suggested fixes (even went to the extreme of removing Norton Internet Security completely just to be thorough). None have worked. My guess is that I will have to wipe out the computer and do a clean install and hope the error does not reappear.

Also, the problem seems to be intermitent. At times it gives the error and once I click on "Ok" it opens the pdf document as if nothing had happened. At other times, closing IE10 and re-opening it solves the problem. Other times re-booting the computer solves it temporarily and other times, just going to another site with pdf files and opening them there and later returning to the website with the problem document allows us to open it without problems.

This behaviour is very erratic. extremely disruptive and annoying to say the least. I'm sorry chief_charlie37, but this seems definitely to be a bug. I'm hoping that Adobe will "listen" and come up with a solution although my experience with Adobe over the years is that they do not even acknowledge issues (I know for a fact, by personal experience of errors and problems that have been annoying customers for years, error that are so persistent that they continue to annoy them trickling down from version to version and seen Adobe just ignore them.

My only advice, to whoever reads this, is to attempt some of the solutions described on a Google search or in this forum. Otherwise, make your voice be heard and post your complaint everywhere you can. It may be the only way to get Adobe's attention.

Bits ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2013 Jul 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've discovered at RJ that this error is generated when an application running as administrator calls Reader running as a standard user, using Avecto to elevate Reader's privileges.  Turning off Reader Protected mode by clearing the Enable Protected Mode at startup choice in Secuirity (Enhanced) stops the problem.  However this is a dangerous work-around, so I'm interested in other remedies.  Our issue occurred when Internet Explorer was running as Administrator and a client clicked a link to a PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 24, 2014 Nov 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank  you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2016 Jul 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I've had this for a couple of months now ........... TRY USING ANOTHER BROWSER .............. I normally use IE but have found the need to use Firefox for some sites as IE won't work with them. An ADOBE Document which resulted in 523.523 on IE opened no problem on Mozilla. I'm not saying that this is the "cureall" but it's worth a try .................

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If using IE i did this and it worked fine - disabled Adobe from Manage Add-ons

Lawi98A6_0-1597241168482.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines