• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Double Standards on these forums!

Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2012 Feb 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed that in these forums any links to product advertisement is considered to be a spam but some products promotion are allowed.  Is there any guidance anywhere for people to read them to avoid any problems?  For example this particular link is clearly a promotion but nobody has removed it:

<http://forums.adobe.com/message/4215795#4215795>

Perhaps there is one rule for mere mortals like us and special rules for privileged few!!  How can I join this band of privilege few?  I am a very nice chap if you guys treat me nice

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 18, 2012 Feb 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know about this thread, don't you? It's for reporting spam.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/877321?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 21, 2012 Feb 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Links to commercial sites/suppliers are a touchy situation, and it can be tough for a MOD to determine what is spam, and what is a useful and germane inclusion.

I often add links to commercial, or 3rd party sites, but ALWAYS try to point out that something is shareware, freeware, of other. I also make 100% sure that any commercial link is highly germane and hopefully helpful, in solving a problem.

The actions, an interpretationsn by MOD's, will differ, forum to forum, and MOD to MOD.

As a "for instance," it is fairly common for users to recommend a non-Adobe product for DVD authoring in the Premiere Elements forum. While PrE offers limited authoring functions to DVD-Video, or BD, it IS very limited, and there are some programs, from another source, that do a more complete job with regard to authoring. Adobe has never had an issue with such recs. and links, which speaks well of Adobe, in my book. In the end, the user still uses PrE for editing, and then another program for the last step in the process - they are able to then do much more. The MOD there has even published a book on using one of the oft-recommended programs.

So, it just depends, and probably should be viewed on a case-by-case basis.

Not much direct help, regarding your question, but just some observations.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2012 Feb 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This guy is learning fast to promote his links:

<http://forums.adobe.com/people/Shoumma+Adhikary>

Perhaps Adobe has changed its policy of promoting links provided there is some connection with adobe products.  I shall certainly do it when I post any messages.  I design hackers sites using adobe products so this should be allowed provided there are links to download pirated products from adobe.  I am a very happy boy today for knowing this trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 25, 2012 Feb 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could have safely posted that user in the Spam Report topic.  I have deleted most of this user's posts, and removed the link to an empty WordPress site from the rest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 26, 2012 Feb 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I once asked a Mod about this (Zeno Bokor, I think it was).  His response to me indicated that while self-promotion was discouraged, if it directly answered a problem or question it would likely be overlooked.  I doubt that was an Adobe offical position, but it seems to make sense.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines