• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you 'zoom' the audio waveform in the timeline?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2012 Feb 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unable to find a solution in the help or the FAQ, so I'll post my first question here 🙂

I would like to vertically zoom into the audio waveform in the timeline. My situation is that I have a 24-bit audio mix of a classical concert with a fairly large dynamic range, i.e. very loud bits and very quiet bits in one single audio file. I don't see enough waveform detail in the quiet parts, even when I enlarge the track vertically. I haven't found an official way of zooming in, at least in the timeline. The audio-waveform-only display in the source monitor does offer a vertical zoom.

The official help only offers this:

"To see more volume detail when viewing an audio waveform in a Timeline panel, increase the track height."

Which seems to imply that 'zooming' in further to bring out the really quiet parts is not a feature.

I found a bit of a workaround, which is to adjust the clip gain -- the audio waveform changes accordingly. However I'd prefer not to be changing the audio volume every time I need a different vertical zoom on the waveform.

Thanks,

3p

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 05, 2012 Feb 05, 2012

No you cannot zoom in like in the source monitor.

Will make a good feature request though.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No you cannot zoom in like in the source monitor.

Will make a good feature request though.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While you can't zoom and the vertical adjustment is limited (which sucks because you can zoom in Audition)` there are still a few more options that might help increase the vertical size of the tracks window.

First, to adjust the vertical space of each track in the timeline place your selection tool over the line between the tracks over on the left side of the track where audio controls are and drag the track bottom up or down. You can also increase the workspace of the timeline by dragging it up using the same technique, or if you have another monitor put the timeline over there and make it much bigger.

Second, use the tilde key to expand the entire timeline window. It's the key to the left of #1 key at the top left. Hit it again to return. It will expand any window that is selected. I use this one to get a better look at the waveform. You can also drag the tracks to make them larger.

good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2012 Feb 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann, good suggestion, I have since handed in a feature request for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not as neat as the Vertical & Horizontal Zoom in Audition, you can, however, come a bit close, by using the Horizontal Zoom for the Timeline, and then going to the Audio Track's Header, where you click-drag on the separator bar, to expand that Track vertically.

That Audition Vertical & Horizontal Zoom in Audition is great.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Duplicate the audio track, increase the gain, and then disable the track. You can still see the waveform without it affecting the mix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The most useful answer on here imo. Thanks🙏

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2024 Feb 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can add the audio file to its own sequence, increase the volume of the sequence mix (inside of "audio track mixer") and add some compression (to normalize the noise levels), then drag that audio sequence into your main timeline. Waveforms will be enlarged. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines