• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Links from conditional text not working

New Here ,
Feb 27, 2012 Feb 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a project that uses conditional text to mark different "flavours" of the product being documented. I have found that when I build help (WebHelp format) that shows the conditional text, the links from it do not appear in the output, even when the linked topic is not conditional itself, or is marked with the same condition as the content from which the link is made. This does not happen when the entire topic is conditional: links from such topics work just fine. It just occurs when the conditionalized text is a paragraph or phrase within an unconditionalized topic file. Suggestions?.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not clear on the problem you are describing. You can apply a build tag to a whole topic or some of the content, you can also apply a build tag to a TOC entry so that the topic is still in the help but not in the TOC. When you generate the help, generally you specify which tags are to exclude topics or content.

Are you saying that if in a topic you apply a tag to some content, then all hyperlinks in that topic do not get included?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if I wasn’t clear. I understand the basic mechanics of the conditional text. What I’m finding is that if I have a topic that, say, has a bunch of steps, one of which is marked as “pro”, and that step has a link in it, then the link from that step does not work. Other links in the topic work fine. And if the whole topic is marked “pro”, the link works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still struggling.

So is it that some of the content in Step 6, for example, is tagged as Pro and elsewhere in Step 6 there is a hyperlink not tagged but which then no longer works?

Maybe a screenshot of your source would help. Use the camera icon.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you are viewing the help where the link doesn't work, can you browse to the linked topic, or find it using search?

I'm thinking maybe the destination topic is marked Std or something and not actually included in the Pro build?

Amebr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2012 Feb 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That set me on the right path, Amebr, thanks. I didn’t notice the absence of the linked topic because it was never intended to show in the TOC (on purpose). The problem turned out to be that at some point conditions were set at the topic properties level, which overrode the properties marked for the individual text. Problem solved, lesson learned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2012 Feb 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If the target of a hyperlink is not in the build, then RoboHelp stops showing it as a link. It sounded like you had the links but they did not work when clicked. They should just have shown as text, not links, if the target was missing.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp