8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 28, 2012 6:29 AM by bernard_black RSS

editing AVCHD videos

videope Community Member

I have read and I think you have mentioned that edititing AVCHD videos in requires a fast processor and lots of memory.

My machine has 2-core and 4.00gb RAM and I don't know if it'll be up to the task.

What can I do to work around this problem in Premiere Pro CS5?  Convert the videos to something more manageable or choose a preset like DV-NTSC?

• 1. Re: editing AVCHD videos
          Harm Millaard Community Member

What can I do to work around this problem in Premiere Pro CS5?

Upgrade the system to something 'Economical': http://forums.adobe.com/thread/947698?tstart=0

Convert the videos to something more manageable or choose a preset like DV-NTSC?

Why shoot in HD if you want to convert to SD? Choosing a different preset does not make the editing any easier, only more complex and even more demanding. You need to convert to SD or use Cineform or similar, but then your next problem rears its head, your disk setup. I find it hard to believe you already have three fast 7200 RPM internal SATA disks in such a system, and that is a practical minimum for editing, especially if you use Cineform, because it requires about three times the disk space compared to AVCHD.

You are right that your system is underspecced and slower than molasses in winter. If you don't have a nVidia card with at least 1 GB VRAM depending on the CPU, that system will be around 50 - 70 times slower than a fast desktop. That means that where some people have to wait one hour for the exporting of their time-line, you may have to wait 50 to 70 hours.

• 2. Re: editing AVCHD videos
            Ann Bens CommunityMVP

Cineform Neoscene is an option.

Download the trial at see if this will work for you.

http://cineform.com/products/neoscene

• 3. Re: editing AVCHD videos
              videope Community Member

Harm, thank you for your lengthy explanation but your approach to my question has taken me nowhere.

If you gather by my question I am a novice at this and your technical lingo doesn't help.

You say:  "I find it hard to believe you already have three fast 7200 RPM internal SATA disks in such a system..."

Aside from the fact that I have no idea how you got to know that, that information means nothing to me.

Don't bother clarifying it.

You ask:  "Why you shoot HD if you want to convert to SD?"

Because if I may not have the equipment at the moment, I eventually will.

Presently I want to work with what I have without complicating my life and thought that this forum might provide some ideas.

This is a 10-min project and my goal is mostly to learn the editing functions of Premiere Pro CS5 rather than create a masterpiece worth a Hollywood Oscar...  Not at the moment at least.

I suggest you gain some understanding when reading the questions posed.

You should gather by the question the level of knowledge the questioner has and answer accordingly.

Those who know very little about a subject, like me, do not benefit by sarcasm or high-end lingo.

It may make you feel good to show off what you kow but don't flaunt it because it doesn't help us.

A SUMMARY OF YOUR ANSWER:  Buy new equipment otherwise don't bother.

• 4. Re: editing AVCHD videos
                Harm Millaard Community Member

A SUMMARY OF YOUR ANSWER:  Buy new equipment otherwise don't bother.

That is the gist of it.

When a poster does not mention he has little or no experience, has 48 posts in his name, has probably read even more posts than just the ones he posted or answered to, it is unreasonable to expect utter noobidity on the part of the OP. A logical assumption is some basic understanding, but hey, if I offended you in any way by using tech lingo that you do not understand, even though it is very basic tech speak, my excuses.

I suggest you gain some understanding when reading the questions posed.

You should gather by the question the level of knowledge the questioner has and answer accordingly.

Sorry, I'm not a mind reader. "The two most abundant things in the universe, are Hydrogen......and Noobidity!" and you did not tell anything about the last condition and I did not want to make that presumption. The lengthy response was because I had the feeling you were not an expert either.

Both Ann and myself suggested an alternative, Cineform Neoscene.

• 5. Re: editing AVCHD videos
                  videope Community Member

Excuse me if I continue this discussion, but I do so for the only purpose of explaining the point of view from the other end.

From your end, you mention that I have 48 posts under my name and I won't argue.

From my end, of those 48 there have been few when a helpful answer has been received.

You are not a mind reader so try to evaluate where the question comes from before rushing with a complicated answer.

You suggest Cineform Neoscene but you don't explain what it does.  Is it in lieu of Premiere Pro?  Is it a conversion program?  Is it an editing prorgram?  etc.. etc.. etc..

Please, do not comment on this issue.  I'll find out.

• 6. Re: editing AVCHD videos
                    the_wine_snob Community Member

CineForm's NeoScene is a conversion program. It basically converts AVCHD material to an easier-to-edit CODEC, so that less CPU horsepower is needed. These are basically proxy files.

There was a time, before PrPro could natively Import and edit AVCHD material, and NeoScene was very popular. As of about the 2nd update to CS 4, native AVCHD Import was added (IIRC), but for under-powered computers, it still remains an alternative.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: editing AVCHD videos
                      Ann Bens CommunityMVP

Cineform is what we call a intermediare codec.

In the programm called Neoscene you convert the avchd files to Cineform avi's.

The minimum pc requirement for Cineform avi's is core2duo, but more is better.

Once you get these avi's, you import them into Premiere, edit and export to dvd.

Download the trial in the link I gave you and have a spin.

The trial works 7 might be 14 days.

• 8. Re: editing AVCHD videos
                        bernard_black Community Member

videope,

Harm's advice is sound and he gives it to you FOR FREE. It is not tecnically convoluted...it is fact. I speak as someone who struggles with a dual core 4GB RAM (not for much longer), although I do have 3x 7200 RPM drives.

Seriously, these nice folk tell you to try cineform and you bark "What does it do?" I'm surprised they took the time to tell you! [inappropriate comment removed]

I don't mean to be rude, but being a novice does not entitle you to behave like a petulant child.

If you want a free option (rather than cineform) you could try converting your footage to Avid DNxHD. All you have to do is use google and you can read all about it. And my last suggestion would be to read, read and then read some more. Solving problems for yourself becomes addictive and leads to enlightenment...