8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 28, 2012 9:06 AM by Rik Ramsay RSS

how to insert text with a background color?

Michael314 Community Member

Hi,

I need to insert text over some mottled regions so I want to insert black text with a white background. I can't find a way to give the text a background color. I can do this with Powerpoint and Visio, so why not with Photoshop? My Photoshop manual makes no mention of this.

So far I was able to copy a white region in the background layer and drag it to the place where I need it on the text layer, but that seems klutzy to me.

I'm using Photoshop CS (8.0).

Yours,

Michael F

========

• 1. Re: how to insert text with a background color?
          Rik Ramsay Community Member

So far I was able to copy a white region in the background layer and drag it to the place where I need it on the text layer, but that seems klutzy to me.

That's probably as accurate as you'll get with PS and text.

Another option would be to play around with the Outer Glow effect which might give you something close to what you desire.

outer_glow.jpg

• 2. Re: how to insert text with a background color?
            arc fixer Community Member

Hi Michael.

Add a white Stroke effect to the text.  Click on highlighted icon to add effects to text, selections, or layers.

STRK.JPG

Peace,

Lee

• 3. Re: how to insert text with a background color?
              Noel Carboni Community Member

To take what these other guys have said a little further...   You could do something tricky like this:

Put in your text, put a big thick stroke around it, draw a rectangular path around it, then set a vector layer mask...  You'll have to remember to set the [ ] Vector Mask Hides Effects option.

TextBackground1.jpg

TextBackground2.jpg

TextBackground3.jpg

TextBackground4.jpg

-Noel

• 4. Re: how to insert text with a background color?
                Trevor.Dennis MVP

If I am overlaying text across a multicoloured BG and need something to contrast against, I use a semi transparent tone that lets some of the BG show through.  It just looks more professional than a stroked outline or block of solid colour.  This would be more in a page layout application like inDesign or Publisher though.  This could be in a filled text box, but shapes work better because you can use rounded corners etc.

If you want to use Photoshop though, having laid down the text layer, you can control click its layer thumbnail to load its selection, which opens up all sorts of posibilities, like filling that selection with a picture on a different layer.  Layer styles are definitely the most convenient route to take, but you can be more creative taking a different route.

• 5. Re: how to insert text with a background color?
                  steve1987

Thanks Noel again. You are great in this work.

• 6. Re: how to insert text with a background color?
                    Michael314 Community Member

Thanks for all the great ideas. I was experimenting with the blending options and had another idea.

I inserted a white filled rectangle so it appeared behind the text. Then I selected blending options for that layer, and gave the rectangle an outer glow, blend mode: normal, 100% opacity, white, technique: softer, 25% spread, size: 5 px.

The only problem was that I could not get rid of the thin black border on the rectangle. It only appears when I click on the rectangle's layer. How do I change the color of the rectangle's border?

Yours,

Michael F

=======

• 7. Re: how to insert text with a background color?
                      Noel Carboni Community Member

Sounds like the path is becoming visible...  Do you see little handles at the corners?  Those handles appear to allow you to alter the path that defines the shape (e.g., rectangle).

They won't appear in your work product.

You can hide them by making the PATHS panel visible and clicking somewhere on it other than on the path that's selected.

-Noel

• 8. Re: how to insert text with a background color?
                        Rik Ramsay Community Member

That’s the shape layer surround. It will only appear if you select the shape layer. It doesn't print so don't worry about it.