• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I make the printed document writable?

New Here ,
Feb 28, 2012 Feb 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

Is there a place in RH9 where I can set an option so that I can save the Word file using its original file name? I want to preview the printed document (Word) and make minor adjustments before I make a PDF.

I have gone through the folders and set them all to be writable--although that doesn't seem to matter; they go right back to being read-only!

Thanks in advance,

Mary

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using source control? If the Word doc has been checked into source control you will need to check it out first. That's the only situation I can think of where a Word doc from RH would be read only, although in that casewither the generation would fail or RH should automatically check it out to start with.

Amber

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Amber; but, no, no source control. It’s not a show-stopper; it’s just a nuisance.

I’m trying to remember if this has always been an issue with RH9, or if it’s something new. I’ll check with our IT guy when he gets back, and see what he can figure out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2012 Mar 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mary, I know this may seem like a silly question, but are you generating a Word doc from the Printed Documentation dialog? This option should ideally generate a writable Word document that you can edit, and then convert into a PDF using the Adobe distiller packaged with RH, or using Acrobat if you use that. Just checking

untitled.JPG

- Richa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying. Yes, I have a printed documentation profile set up that takes me through the four or five steps to create the Word document. As you noted, I do this so I can quickly check and adjust the Word document before making the PDF. It is a conundrum; never had this problem with RH8, so I’m not sure what is going on. .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To be honest it is always best to generate the Word file separately first anyway, make any edits and then save it as a PDF.

@robocolumn
  The RoboColum(n)
  Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp