Captivate does not detect recording device

New Here ,
Oct 05, 2006 Oct 05, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Win XP SP2
Captivate 1.01
HP Pavilion dv8000t with Conexant drivers

When I attempt to record narration, Captivate attempts to configure my microphone. I receive the following error message:

"Captivate could not detect a recording device. Please check that a microphone or recording device using line in is connected properly and turned on."

Windows detects the microphone properly ( can set levels and hear my own voice) when running the Windows Sound Hardware Test.

Anyone else have similar issues?

Thanks in advance,
John
TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John

Let me guess. Your microphone is a type that connects via the (drum roll) USB port?

If so, these have always been "iffy" with Captivate. Some folks claim great results. Others have issues from the start. Yet others see it work just dandy for a short while, then it mysteriously stops working.

Hopefully Captivate 2 will bring more stability and compatibility in this area. However, we just don't know for sure until it's been "in the wild" for a while.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the (quick!) reply.

Actually, I'm using a line-in mic, a logitech headphone-mic combination.

After posting this message I found the following thread: http://sdc.shockwave.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=67&catid=467&threadid=11860...

If I understand correctly, I just purchased 3 licenses of software that are going to be essentially unusable until Adobe releases a new version of software for which I will have to pay to upgrade?

Again, thanks for the quick reply.

Regards,
John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John

If I'm understanding you correctly, if you "just purchased" the copies and Captivate 2 is made available soon, I would think that you would automatically qualify for a free upgrade to the newest version.

Of course, I'm a user same as you, so I can't speak for Adobe. But generally companies are pretty understanding about this sort of thing. Actually, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if you were just sent version 2 without even asking. However, I'd ask anyway just to err on the safe side.

As for the existing software being "unusable". I'd say at best it's a judgement call. For me, even if it failed to recognize my audio, I could still use it because I (as well as others here) totally believe audio should be treated separately. To do this, you can easily use other applications to record the audio. Then bring the files into Captivate later. (like the motion picture industry does)

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: RoboWizard
Hi John

If I'm understanding you correctly, if you "just purchased" the copies and Captivate 2 is made available soon, I would think that you would automatically qualify for a free upgrade to the newest version.
As for the existing software being "unusable". I'd say at best it's a judgement call. For me, even if it failed to recognize my audio, I could still use it because I (as well as others here) totally believe audio should be treated separately. To do this, you can easily use other applications to record the audio. Then bring the files into Captivate later. (like the motion picture industry does)

Cheers... Rick

Captivate 2 has still not solved this issue. Recording the audio separately is not a very comfortable option because of the timing. If you can do it at the same time length of video and length of speaking will match automatically. If you do the voice recording separately it is much more difficult to adapt both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2006 Oct 06, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

C2 still hasn't solved this problem? That is frustrating.

I agree Max, that recordng the audio separatelly is not a viable option. One reason I purchased Captivate was because it was supposed to be very easy to record screen caputures and audio at the same time. I'm the webmaster for a university which doesn't have a large IT staff, and I have to be as efficient as possible with time and efforts.

If I can't record audio at the same time as visuals, the program's usefulness is dramatically cut.

This is extremely disappointing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 06, 2006 Oct 06, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a USB capture device and large diaphram mic because of the higher quality audio. I like the preamp of the USB device and the 'silence' of my mic. However, I decided to go ahead and try to see if I could use a regular cheapo headset like has been suggested so many times. I plugged into my built in Real Audio sound card and Captivate 2.0 still does not see it. They at least added a mic/line option, but that is of no avail. I can configure it in the Control Panel. I can use this headset mic in every other application I have, just not Captivate.

I think there is a gap that needs to be bridged for some of the users here, with Captivate and on the forum. It is great that some can afford to record a screen session and then go back and do some audio for it, but that does not work for everyone. I do training for lots of software packages. I HAVE to record the audio while I'm doing the training. It only makes sense. You have a train of thought at the time of the screen recording, that you have to follow. To try to go back later and do that will make for some very ugly video, not to mention wasting much time. Camtasia does this very well. My reason for wanting to use Captivate is that I like the idea of it capturing a screen shot and letting me do things like move the mouse around, and simulations would be great. I say this, not to irritate anyone, but so that the need is expressed to those offering help. There are a lot of us out there that need to record audio WHILE capturing. That's why we buy a product that has quite a hyped up claim that it can do just that. From my browsing and searching through this forum, it is evident that Captivate has a problem with not only USB devices, but other plain vanilla sound cards as well. Almost to the point that they should now advertise "With many sound cards, you can record audio and screen captures simultaneously! With the others, you'll have to record your screen capture, and then go back and record the audio in another program!"

I bought Captivate the first time around. Haven't done a single video with it because of this fault.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2006 Oct 10, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just read this tread and I am still not sure what the answer is to get the audio working in Captivate 1. I was planning to use an inline mike/headset combo. I have not bought it yet, but need to get started ASAP to create some training movies.

Looking for suggestions/solutions to get audio working.

Larry A.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2006 Oct 10, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Does your computer utilize High Definition Audio? If so, you will not be able to record audio directly to a movie capture. You can, as has been noted, record the audio separately and later add it to your movie.

Aparently Captivate 2 doesn't support direct High Definition Audio recording either.

Check your audio drivers before purchasing Captivate (if direct audio recording is important).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources