• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Attempting query update from array

Participant ,
Feb 29, 2012 Feb 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm attempting to update a table from an array by looping it over but having no luck. There doesn't seem to be much info out there on how to do this, everything I've found is related to looping queries into arrays (the reverse obviously). It's seems like it should be simple enough the test array is;

(sel, optiontype_ID)

[1] [1] Blue

[1] [2] 65

[2] [1] White

[2] [2] 73

And my attempt.....

<cfloop index="x" from="1" to="#arrayLen(arr1[sel])#">

<cfloop index="y" from="1" to="#arrayLen(arr1[optiontype_ID])#">

<cfquery datasource="#request.dsn#" username="#request.dsnUsername#" password="#request.dsnPassword#">

update tbl_skuoptions

set option_name = '#arr1[sel]#'

where option_Type_ID = '#arr1[optiontype_ID]#'

</cfquery>

</cfloop>

</cfloop>

Any ideas or even a slap upside the head from Dan would be appreciated.

Thanks!

David

TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 29, 2012 Feb 29, 2012

You have to be doing something to build your array.  At the stage when you populate each row, couldn't you update your db instead?

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly happens when you run that code?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dan,

First let me update the code to it's current state since the post;

<cfloop index="x" from="1" to="#ArrayLen(arr1)#">

<cfloop index="y" from="1" to="#ArrayLen(arr1)#">

<cfquery datasource="#request.dsn#" username="#request.dsnUsername#" password="#request.dsnPassword#">

update tbl_skuoptions

</cfquery>

</cfloop>

</cfloop>

Right now I'm getting "Object of type class coldfusion.runtime.Struct cannot be used as an array" in the second loop but an example I found worked perfectly on the old CF7 server that we're stuck with on this website. It seems that looping 2D arrays is a pain to do.

Thanks for taking a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looping through 2D arrays is such a pain it's rare that I ever attempt it.  Queries are much easier to deal with.  On that note, from where did the data for your array come in the first place?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The info comes from repeating form fields in another page creating the strings, it's CartWeaver and I can't change that aspect or I would. I turned that into an array and thought it would be easy to loop through and cfquery/update the existing table.

Since there is more than one string I don't see any other way of doing this at the moment, I've been on it for a long time already and this error is at the very end of about 230 lines so I'm not giving up on it.. When I figure it out, I'll post it all over the darn place!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are the form fields named?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"sel" and "option_Type_ID" to match the data table. See something I missed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to be doing something to build your array.  At the stage when you populate each row, couldn't you update your db instead?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what I have, I think I tried that and got an error.

<cfscript>

arr1 = ARRAYNEW(1);

arr1[1][1] = "#listgetat(form.optiontype_ID, 1)#";

arr1[1][2] = "#listgetat(form.sel, 1)#";

arr1[2][1] = "#listgetat(form.optiontype_ID, 2)#";

arr1[2][2] = "#listgetat(form.sel, 2)#";

</cfscript>

<cfloop index="x" from="1" to="#ArrayLen(arr1)#">

<cfloop index="y" from="1" to="#ArrayLen(arr1)#">

update tbl_skuoptions

</cfquery>

</cfloop>

</cfloop>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try something like this:

<cfloop from = "1" to = "#ListLen(form.sel)#" index = "idx">

update query goes here

</cfloop>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 01, 2012 Mar 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like the core of your problem with your implementation has to do with how you are implementing your loop.  You can use the "Array" attribute of <cfloop> to loop over your array and have your index be the CF contents of each array position (rather than having to do everything by position reference as you attempted to do in your example)

Try something like this:

<cfloop array="#arr1#" index="arrInner">

update tbl_skuoptions

set option_name = <cfqueryparam cfsqltype="cf_sql_varchar" value="#arrInner[1]#">

where option_Type_ID = <cfqueryparam cfsqltype="cf_sql_integer" value="#arrInner[2]#">
</cfloop>

I threw in some <cfqueryparam> goodness as well.  Of course, this assumes that array positions 1 & 2 of your inner array are simple data types.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 01, 2012 Mar 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I haven't seen any examples like this anywhere. I think all of the examples that I have been trying to follow may have worked on older versions of CF. I'll give this a try and report back.

Thanks for the advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation