4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2012 3:01 PM by KTMjapan RSS

Non-Editable Text Layers are USELESS....

KTMjapan

I previously asked about editing text layers post-creation because PST does not allow us to change spelling, change fonts or even simply select text on a layer once it has been created...

You can free transform ( basic functions ) but you can't change the text itself... This to me was a tad annoying but nonetheless I submitted an IDEA to add this which has been voted on 3 times... idea located at    http://forums.adobe.com/ideas/1221

BUT.......... Now I have discovered that those same Text layers created in PST are ALSO NOT EDITABLE IN PHOTOSHOP 5.x... ?????

*** Give it a try...Save your multilayered PSDX file ( with a text layer or 2 ) to the creative cloud - - download into PS 5.x and low and behold - the text layer created in PST is ALSO not editable in Photoshop ????

This is basically the same effect as RASTERIZING your Text Layer - - it still appears as a Text layer in the layers panel but the text is no longer Selectable or Editable...

This just isn't right......   We need editable text layers in PST that can be further edited in Photoshop when transfered......

Please vote positively on this idea so that Adobe will include this MOST BASIC OF FEATURES...

If someone else has a way to work around this please let me know - I would be pleased to find out I am an idiot and there is a simple solution to this - as of now adding any kind of text layer in PST is a waste of time for me...

• 1. Re: Non-Editable Text Layers are USELESS....
          drZox

touch is LOLcat grade type that becomes rendered pixels

I don't expect inDesign grade typography in a 10 dollar app, I'm just happy to be able to just mark up with text with drop shadows

dZ

• 2. Re: Non-Editable Text Layers are USELESS....
            KTMjapan Community Member

drZox... I am not asking for "inDesign grade typography in a 10 dollar app"...

I AM asking for basic functionality of a feature - editable text ( being able to correct spelling or change fonting post layer correction ) is a BASIC function of text layering...

And... the idea that Adobe has Crippled this Function ( perhaps simply because it is only a $ 10 app ) of being able to edit that layer later when using a more advanced tool like Photoshop is ridiculous...

• 3. Re: Non-Editable Text Layers are USELESS....
              Luanne Seymour Adobe Employee

Hi KTMjapan,

I understand your desire for a better type tool. As a designer, I'd like to have that too. Please remember that this is a 1.0 product. Adobe hasn't "crippled" any functions. It takes time to develop features for all new devices and operating systems. Please be patient with the Photoshop Touch team. They are engineering new and better features as fast as they can.

Thanks for your feedback and your patience,

Luanne

• 4. Re: Non-Editable Text Layers are USELESS....
                KTMjapan Community Member

Thank you Luanne for your response... I am certain that in time the PST will add this function...

I need to go on record to say that I am indeed very impressed with this app and have found that:

Just like the iPad gives the ability to wow my customers with a clean interface and canvas for looking at either their images in progress or my portfolio - - - - Adobe's Photoshop Touch app has given me the ability to show clients, outside of my desktop environment, what possibilities exist for changing and enhancing their images through the use of Photoshop...

Keep up the good work - I am looking forward to future enhancements...