• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Installing ColdFusion 9 search services, after the fact.

Valorous Hero ,
May 28, 2010 May 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I first installed CF9 on our Windows 2003, I only chose the Solr search services, thinking that the "ColdFusion 9 search services" was only for Verity, which we did not want.  Turns out, as best as I can tell.  ColdFusion 9 Solr Services will not work without the ColdFusin 9 Search Services.

Can anybody quickly point me to documentation on how I can just install this ColdFusion 9 Search Service?  I'm hoping I do not have to do a full CF9 install again.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 31, 2010 May 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re-run the install, selecting the EAR/WAR file install type.  It'll create an EAR or a WAR, but will also give you the option to install the other services again too, without touching your existing CF install.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2012 Mar 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appologize for asking a question on such an old post, but now that 9.01 is out, is there another way to do this. I am warry of installing 9 again on top of 9.01 and then updating again. I tried using the standalone server but it ended up breaking my install, I had to revert back via snapshot. Thanks for your input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anything in the 9.0.1 release notes that suggest there's any changes to those services?  If not, just doing the 9.0 install will probably be enough.

Test in the lab first, obviously.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't share your confidence that it wouldn't be an issue based on what it may or may not say in the release notes.....It would be nice if I had a lab. Unfortunately based on my readings it seems that I don't have any other recourse.

I will report back on how it goes. Worse comes to worse, I will revert back from snapshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confidence has nothing to do with it; it's an educated guess.  And one that I said you ought to test first 😉

It seems a bit remiss that you don't have a test environment..?

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your comments and thank you for your advice. Not having a test environment isn't my choice. I have to make due with what I have. I will post back tomorrow after I give this a go.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2013 Dec 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm sure this is a long dead issue.

However from my recent experience on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.10 64 bit.

The [Stand Alone (Solr) Installer] available from the Adobe Downloads site (as of 12-30-2013) is significantly older than than the [Included (Solr) Installer] bundled with the post Verity retirement from both the 9 and 9.0.2 default installers.

It also seems to have a pathing bug in the Solr code itself which does not honor the provided Solr_Home path and "makes it up" and appends it to [any] user provided path, forcing the Multicores to exist only inside the /opt/coldfusion9/solr/ path

The Bundled (Solr) installer included in the new default 9 (aka 9.0.2 relabled) and the 9.0.2 Installer comes from a Solr distribution 8 months later, and no longer has this bug.

This is significant.

Because it means the collections path are [not] independent of the coldfusion9 installation directory and may have to to co-exist on the same file system. If you use the Coldfusion Administrator to create the new Cores (aka Collections) - if you try to create them outside the coldfusion9 installation directory with the Coldfusion Administrator, it will fail to copy the multicore/templates to the new core/conf and core/data directories. This affects the 9.0.1 release and the 9.0 if partnered with the 9.0.1 update or the Standalone installer for Solr.

However in the 9.0.2 Bundled Solr Installer it installs a later edition of Solr 1.4 which does not have the bug and the Coldfusion Administrator [can] be used to create collections with arbitrary paths outside the coldfusion9 installation directory.

As for installing, or reinstalling the Solr from the Bundled Solr Installer, it is not standalone. However as mentioned above -- you can re-run the installer from console or the gui using the -i <gui|console> switch to install (a "different" flavor) of the Coldfusion9 application server.

Ther are three flavors (a) standalone (b) multiserver, JEE (c) EAR or WAR, J2EE

If you installed it as (a) before it will not let you reselect that option again. The (b) option is possible, but I chose the (c) option, if asks a few questions like where to put the EAR or WAR file package when its done and then proceeds to offer to re-install the Bundled Solr install again, this time the installer (has to be run as the 'root' user) and I declined to reinstalled the Documents

Once it is done the Solr installed (if its re-installed to /opt/coldfusion9/solr at your choice) will be owned by the 'root' user, you might want to change this run as the coldfusion user on a UNIX/Linux system or some other user

The start up script in /opt/coldfusion9/solr/cfsolr has a bit of a "quoting" problem surrounding the SUCMD arguments. Even though most of the lines for the Linux) stanza are single strong quoted, the arguments to the SUCMD need to be double quoted so as not to be interpreted by the /sbin/runuser or /bin/sh as -X unknown arguments.

I don't pretend to be an expert at these things but finally to get the Coldfusion Administrator working properly I had to use the following settings:

edit

/opt/coldfusion9/solr/multihome/sol.xml

remove the "F:\" line

insert

<core name="solr1" instanceDir="/opt/coldfusion9/collections/solr1/"/>

create the directory manually; chown it to coldfusion

/opt/coldfusion9/collections/solr1

copy and chown to coldfusion to the solr1 directory

/opt/coldfusion9/solr/multihome/template/conf

/opt/coldfusion9/solr/multihome/template/data

so that /opt/coldfusion9/collections/solr1 now has a /conf and /data

prep the cfsolr service for startup

cp /opt/coldfusion9/solr/cfsolr /etc/init.d/

chkconfig cfsolr on

service cfsolr stop

clear out any cruft from

rm -Rf /opt/coldfusion9/solr/work/*

start the cfsolr service

service cfsolr start

go to the Coldfusion Administrator page

http://localhost:8500/CFIDE/administrator/index.cfm

Data&Services

+-> Solr Server

(defaults)

Configure Solr Server

Solr Host Name: localhost

Solr Home: /opt/coldfusion9/solr/multicore

Data&Services

+-> Add New Solr Collections

(defaults)

Name: Solr2

Path: /opt/coldfusion9/collections

[Create Collection]

Solr Collection

Name : Path

solr1   : /opt/coldfusion9/collections/solr1/data/index

solr2   : /opt/coldfusion9/collections/solr1/data/index

A further test is to check the Apache Solr admin interface

http://localhost:8983/solr

Which should now list

[ Welcome to Solr! ]

[ Admin solr1 ]

[ Admin solr2 ]

Clicking on either with take you to the Solr Admin interface

Under [Cores:] will be listed [solr1][solr2]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 12, 2010 Jul 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are stand alone installers for Verity and Solr.

http://www.adobe.com/support/coldfusion/downloads.html#cf9serverinstallers

Or on your media in the Verity/Solr folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation