Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

General Installation Error

New Here ,
Mar 02, 2012 Mar 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm getting a general installation error when the Flash Player (for the latest version of 11) install is at 52%. At first it was getting to 54%, but following some advice on the forums I tried deleting the contents of C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash, nx now it only goes up to 52%. Following some other advice I tried deleting FlashPlayerCPLApp.cpl in C:\Windows\SysWOW64, with no noticeable results. Each time I attempt to reinstall the files come back.

My (mostly empty cause I deleted the old one, duh) log file reads:

=O====== M/11.1.102.62 2012-03-02+13-12-54.793 ========

0000 00000010 "C:\Users\YoungCharles\AppData\Local\Temp\install_flash_player_64bit.exe" -dlm -install

0001 00000020 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\FlashPlayerCPLApp.cpl

0002 00001036 Software\Opera Software/Last CommandLine 2

0003 00001036 Software\Opera Software/Last CommandLine 2

0004 00001036 Software\Opera Software/Plugin Path 2

0005 00001036 Software\Opera Software/Plugin Path 2

0006 00000014 C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF64_11_1_102.dll

0007 00000015 C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil64_11_1_102_Plugin.exe

0008 00000019 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\FlashPlayerCPLApp.cpl

0009 00000011 1

=X====== M/11.1.102.62 2012-03-02+13-12-57.168 ========

I'm running Firefox 10 on Windows 7, 64bit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

(quick note, flash *does* seem to be working mostly, but I imagine if the installer bugged out halfway through some things are missing? I know,at least, MSN's Bing player doesn't work right, but YouTube etc does.)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Mar 02, 2012 Mar 02, 2012

The -dlm in line 0000 tells me you were still using the online installer.  Try the clean install again but after you have downloaded the offline installer, disconnect from the internet and then run the correct installer. It will be named:  install_flash_player_11_plugin_64bit.exe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do a clean install with a downloaded offline installer: How do I do a clean install of Flash Player?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Er, sorry. Forgot to mention that I did indeed try that first. Even with a clean install, it stalled at 54%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The -dlm in line 0000 tells me you were still using the online installer.  Try the clean install again but after you have downloaded the offline installer, disconnect from the internet and then run the correct installer. It will be named:  install_flash_player_11_plugin_64bit.exe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked! Bing video still doesn't work, but I guess the problem is on their end... But Flash installed to 100%. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bing videos need Silverlight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2012 Oct 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also had a "General Installation Error" just now when attempting to upgrade to the latest version of Flash Player. I believe the cause was that I had the Control Panel "Flash Player Settings Manager" open while performing the upgrade. The Settings Manager was open because I'd used it to check for updates and upgrade to the latest version: it seems to be a bug that the Settings Manager gives you the option to upgrade but the upgrade can't succeed with the Settings Manager open.

I had followed the instructions in the video, to do a clean install but the offline uninstaller also gave an error, telling me to close the Flash Player Settings Manager. When I closed that, the uninstall went through, and then the online installer succeeded. Of course, since I did a full uninstall, it could be that the problem was something other than the Settings Manager, but that's my suspicion.

David.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2013 Oct 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a Mac user, but I was getting the same error while trying to install the latest version of Flash and also Lightroom 5.2. Ended up doing a re-install of OS X and both installations worked afterwards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 14, 2013 Oct 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Mac users running OS 10.8.5 may have inadvertently (or intentionally, but not knowing what they did) deleted the mach_kernel file that the 10.8.5 update accidentally changed from a "hidden" file to visible.

This has caused all sorts of problems with software opening or installing, and the mach_kernel is a base file for the OS and should not have been made visible OR deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines