17 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2012 1:49 PM by Andrew8765

Sceneline keeps freezing

Andrew8765

I have just upgraded my os to Windows7 and installed Premiere Elements 10 from scratch. I have imported 23GB work of 720p video footage to edit with intention to burn to Blue -ray disc at the end.

On loading, the timeline get so far, then stops and the next image box just flickers (it doesn't find the next video file).

If you switch to Time line, you can get past it, and can click back to Sceneline.

The slider bar at the bottom should be much smaller given the large number of clips I have added to the project.

Any idea's what is wrong?

• 1. Re: Sceneline keeps freezing
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Video comes in many flavors.

What model of camcorder is your video from and what format is it in?

When you started your Premiere Elements project, which project settings did you select?

Switch to Timeline mode. If your project settings are correct for your video footage, there will be NO red lines above your clips when you add them to your timeline. Is this the case in your project?

Matching project settings to your source video is key to a successful editing experience.

• 2. Re: Sceneline keeps freezing
            Andrew8765 Level 1

Thanks for replying Steve. I have a Panasonic TZ10 which records in AVCHD at 1280x720 at 17Mbps with a 16:9 aspect ratio. The camera uses a Variable Bit rate so unsure how many frames per second that is. Windows says he video is 50 frame per second but when I opened a project at PAL AVCHD Lite 720p 50, it told me that my project settings didn't match and after I gave it permission to alter the settings it changed my project to PAL AVCHD Lite 720p 25. Although, when you open a project in 25 to start with, PE10 wants to 'conform' all the clips but if you open a project in 50 it doesn't.

The project is currently in '720p 25' and every time I load it, PE10 wants to conform clip 66.MTS everytime but no others. If you load in Timeline view the 'slider bar' at the bottom gets smaller as more clips are added. In Sceneline it doesn't. Sceneline will let you scroll along so far before it gets stuck and you can see the next 'clip box' flicking through further clips but never actually moves on. There are no red lines in the TimeLine view except a little red mark to indicate where I have added a transition (I have added a few transitions just to make sure). Scrolling through clips in Sceneline is very slow (compared to Timeline) and it takes a long time to put an image in the clip box. If you go too quick, it never catch's up and stops responding.

Any suggestions what I should do?

• 3. Re: Sceneline keeps freezing

Your camera shoots in a variety of modes.

If you want to edit this video in Premiere Elements, you must shoot in AVCHD Lite mode. (Do not shoot in MJPEG!) Then, when you start up your PRemiere Elements project, you should select the settings for AVCHD Lite -- either 720p60 (if NTSC) or 720p50 (if PAL). Ignore any messages you get that say your settings don't match your video. (BTW, make sure your computer has the latest version of Quicktime!!)

The newer Panasonics are notorious for adding stuff that confuses video editing programs, but that's about as close as you'll get.

• 4. Re: Sceneline keeps freezing
                Andrew8765 Level 1

I've tried what you advise - opened in AVCHD Lite 720p 50 (as live in UK) and added video clips. In timeline mode, I get a constant red line across the top (which I guess is to be expected) but it doesn't solve the problem of the Sceneline not expanding to accomodate all the clips added to the Project. I can make it expand by flicking between Timeline and back again but if you move too fast it just stops, till your left with one clip box in Sceneline and the image keeps changing as it reads the first still of all the files its searching through & then PE10 stops responding. I un-installed it yesterday and re-installed. I didn't have all this trouble with PE8. Quicktime is fully up to date. I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 last week via a customer install, so the operating system is clear of junk. All Drivers for graphic cards and fully up to date as well. PE10 was a clean install.

When I look at the video files in Windows, they are all told to open with Windows Media Player. Would changing the default player to Quicktime help?

• 5. Re: Sceneline keeps freezing

Probably not. As I've said, version 8 is very inefficient with these types of files. Version 10 edits them natively.

But just to make sure you're using the best settings possible, have you opened the files in G Spot to see what it shows for your codec, frame rate and resolution?

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

• 6. Re: Sceneline keeps freezing
                    Andrew8765 Level 1

It says the file type is MPEG-2 Transport Stream Mime Type: mp2t.

I've even uninstalled Quicktime but it rufused at first by stating that 'Adobe Qt32 Server' was using quicktime. Strange, given that I'd just re-started the PC.

I did try and play a video clip in Quicktime but it refused stating that it didn't recognise the .Mts file extension.

P.S. Would having the video files on an external hard drive help ?          (I've tried both ways but still get the same problems)

• 7. Re: Sceneline keeps freezing

Can you post a screen capture of the G Spot report? You've not given us enough information to know what's going on with the file. Thanks.

• 8. Re: Sceneline keeps freezing
                        Andrew8765 Level 1

I've dragged a clip across and used the 'open' function from the dropdown menu but it says this everytime. Should I be doing something else to get the info you need?

Gspot screenshot.jpg

• 9. Re: Sceneline keeps freezing

That's not good.

When no data shows up in G Spot, it's usually an indication that your computer does not have the means to support the file.

Have you manually gone to Windows Update and ensured you have even the non-critical updates for your operating system?

Have you got the latest version of Quicktime, per the program's requirements?

• 10. Re: Sceneline keeps freezing
                            Andrew8765 Level 1

Definately got most up to date version of quicktime. Only non-critical update i'm missing is microsoft Sliverlight. The video plays in Windows Media Player without any problems.

What's odd is that the Timeline view in PE10 works very well, it's fast responsive and works. The video plays as well.

It just the Sceneline view that stuggles to cope with more than 65 clips. It just can't handle the other 300 that come after it. I'm thinking it's more a fault with PE10 itself.

Is there another program I can use to determine the frame rate, codec and resolution?

• 12. Re: Sceneline keeps freezing
                              Andrew8765 Level 1

Thanks John.

Results are below. I'm a bit confused that it says the video is in NTSC since I live in the UK and bought the camera from a Official Panasonic shop in the UK. Could it be wrong ?

Video Data.jpg

• 13. Re: Sceneline keeps freezing
                                Andrew8765 Level 1

MediaInfo says the video is running at 25 fps but strange it says NTSC when the camera was bought in the UK and it says PAL on the box.

Video Data.jpg

• 14. Re: Sceneline keeps freezing

I wouldn't be too concerned. Your frame rate clearly indicates that this is PAL video.

• 15. Re: Sceneline keeps freezing
                                    Andrew8765 Level 1

I have now tried loading 124 video clips in AVCHD to the following prject settings: NTSC 24, 25 and 60 as well as PAL 24,25 and 50 but I get the same problem no matter what the project settings. The timeline works fine but the sceneline won't go past video clip 65.

When you add clips, the slider bar (At bottom of screen) reduces in size as you add more video clips and you can always get to the very end when it prompts you to add more clips (in Sceneline). The problem comes after you save the project and reload it. When it reloads, the Timeline works fine but the sceneline won't go past scene 65.

What would you suggest I do next?     (as flicking between the 2 leads to a non-responsive program)

• 16. Re: Sceneline keeps freezing

I wasn't aware Sceneline had a limit to the number of clips you can add, but it's quite possible you've discovered it!

Easiest solution is to work in Timeline mode, of course. Or to do your project in segments of 60 clips.

I don't know what else to recommend though. Sorry.

• 17. Re: Sceneline keeps freezing
                                        Andrew8765 Level 1

Thanks for replying to start with. I've even tried an HDV project in 720p and it does the same thing. I'll send a question to Adobe next.

This is what the screen looks like when it stops scrolling along. An image often appears then disappears but it never moves along. You can see a 2nd arrow where the next video clip should be

Stuck.jpg