• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS5 Locking Up System

Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2012 Feb 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 32 bit PC that I recently upgraded. I put in the most amount of RAM memory I could and upgraded the system from XP to Windows 7 Ultimate.

Yesterday I upgraded from Photoshop CS2 to CS5 and have suddenly been having problems with the system locking up on me in the middle of a project.

I saw some suggestions that were made back in 2010 and I was wondering if some new solutions have been discovered for this problem since then

If so, please provide me a link to a topic thread dealing with this issue.

Also, when first using the program I could not figure out how to get the HISTORY window to open. That is a function

I ALWAYS USE!!

It should ALWAYS open automatically

I now have it working properly, but when opening the program for the first time the HISTORY window should ALWAYS BE THERE and ready to use

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 151 Replies 151
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sohow much RAM do have now?  Photoshop became hungry for RAM with CS4, and you need at least 4Gb, and 8Gb is better.  Does Win 7 Ultimate only come in 64 bit?

History is there under the Window menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the whole system locking up?

If so, you need to look for problems with low level drivers, bad hardware, or an OS bug.

Usually it's bad hardware, like RAM, or sometimes the video card or disk system.

Photoshop tends to stress systems more than other applications, and will expose bad hardware pretty quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, when first using the program I could not figure out how to get the HISTORY window to open.

It’s called a Panel.

Just try Window > History

If you get Photoshop up and running you may want save your Workspace to be able to easily reset it in case you moved Panels around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2012 Feb 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I knew how to "save my workspace" I would most certainly have done it. I guess I seem wiser than I am?

I just checked and CS5 is opening properly with the history panel showing. However, Adobe should make certain the history panel ALWAYS SHOWS when the program is opened for the first time. It is not a luxury to me. That history panel is ESSENTIAL every single time I use Photoshop. It always opened, by default, in CS2 and earlier versions I have of the program. I don't see why the 'Adobe Experts' suddenly felt it was no longer needed to open by default. What were they thinking? That people no long need the option to undo their mistakes???

The Windows 7 upgrade comes with two disks. One for 32 bit systems and one for 64 bit systems. I have upgraded my 32 bit system to have the most amount of RAM it is able to use.

I just know I have never had such locking up problems with CS2 and earlier versions of Photoshop

Yes, I'm overdue for a reformat. I've been having other quirky problems as well. About twice a week I am cleaning out the files and checking for system errors and automatically correcting them. I just did that again before coming here today; after I defragged the 3% fragmentation of the C drive.

I'm hoping I can download the special recovery disk information to burn onto a disk as I once again test Norton Ghost 15. I didn't know I would need that disk the last time I re-formatted. It really pissed me off because I had to start all over and re-format again!!!!

Some people can get Norton Ghost 15 to work perfectly and some cannot. If I can get it to work I will never have to reformat 'from the ground up' again, CORRECT?

All my programs should be brought back to their original state when the computer was freshly re-formatted, RIGHT?

I'm asking, not telling. I really want Norton Ghost 15 to work for me, but it seems it is about a 50/50 gamble. Half the people at amazon love it and half hate it. Because of this I REFUSE to buy the program before I know for a fact it will work for me. I will try to once again use the trial version from the Symantic website.

Thanks for your help

You must realize that I cannot copy and paste my messages from a wordprocessing program, like OpenOffice, into this window or copy from this edit panel into my word processing program. That is not cool. I always like to create my posts in a word processor first just in case my computer or browser crashes in mid-posting.

SPECIAL EDIT:

I was able to copy and past this post AFTER it was properly posted; although it looks kind of weird in my word processing program.

The problem that led me to create posts like this in a word processor BEFORE I post them had to do with browser crashing problems. So copying the posts after the fact is rather redundant; although still useful as a record of what I have written.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2012 Feb 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALSO:

I use a Wacom tablet to work with Photoshop. Sometimes I like to use the left-click button of the mouse to paint with. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Please tell me why this is and how to get the left-click button of the mouse to work with cloning and painting in Photoshop CS5 all the time. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However, Adobe should make certain the history panel ALWAYS SHOWS when the program is opened

I disagree.

There are several Workspaces available that target different tasks – feel free to consult the Help on the matter.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshop/cs/using/WS9403857B-903B-4bd5-95D4-D6B4F21C24BB.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having just disagreed about the use of Actions, I absolutely agree about how useful custom Workspaces are.  They are so easy to set up, and you get a button up on the Options bar so that one click of the mouse takes you to the current best workspace.  You cn even fine tune and resave a custom Workspace.   Or just explore the alternative Workspaces Adobe provides as defaults may open your eyes to tools and features you didn't know were available.    Yes Workspaces are solid gold.  Use them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess with the techniques that allow to streamline one’s workflow (Keyboard Shorctuts, Menu editing, Actions, Scripts, Workspaces, Configurator Panels come to mind) one need not employ every one but not taking advantage of some of them would seem unwise in the long run.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You people disagree that the history palet is ESSENTIAL in ANY Photoshop project? It always used to open by default in EVERY SINGLE OTHER VERSION I HAVE HAD (5.5, 6.0, CS2)! Obviously, Adobe once felt it was an essential palet for everyone to use. You people disagree? I have ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS needed the history palet on EVERY SINGLE Photoshop project I have EVER done. I have no need to use "layers" or some of those other palets that were opened by default. ((((NEVER)))

So, you people are so perfect that you can take or leave the history palet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2012 Feb 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I am here, I am still having a certain periodic problem in that sometimes when I am using the magnifying tool, with the Wacom tablet, it seems I may lightly graze the tablet, by mistake, with my pen and the image suddenly magnifies about 10-15 times larger and I have to hold down ALT and left-click over and over and over and over and over to finally get the image back down to it's original size. What is going on and is there a way to get the image back to its original size without all those ALT left-clicks?

Plus painting using the left-click of my mouse works sometimes and doesn't work other times. Why is this and how can I get the left-click of the mouse to always work when I am cloning or painting?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It always used to open by default in EVERY SINGLE OTHER VERSION I HAVE HAD (5.5, 6.0, CS2)! Obviously, Adobe once felt it was an essential palet for everyone to use. You people disagree?

I guess I do.

Adobe probably felt the History is an important feature (and I agree) but Adobe never prescribed that everyone has to use the History Panel every time they open Photoshop – and one can navigate History States by Keyoard Shortcuts, so one may not need to see the Panel even when utilizing History States.

So, you people are so perfect that you can take or leave the history palet?

The History Panel is one Panel among others, if it is not open and one needs it one can just raise it, can one not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you do a project in Photoshop you are accustomed to being so perfect that you don't regularly have to undo your experiments? I ALWAYS have needed that history palet in EVERYTHING I have EVER done with Photoshop. I have NEVER used layers and some of those other palets that opened by default.

(((( NEVER ONCE IN OVER TEN YEARS OF PHOTOSHOP USE!!! )))

In contrast I have ALWAYS needed the history palet so that I can feel comfortable experimenting with ideas. Without the history palet I would NOT feel comfortable experimenting.

So, you often use Photoshop without needing the history palet? If so, you a hell of a lot more perfect than I am!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sidarthurr wrote:

You people disagree that the history palet is ESSENTIAL in ANY Photoshop project?

You should realize that people use Photoshop for different things.

Yes, for painting History is probably essential. For me, a photographer...well, I think I open it maybe once or twice in a busy week. Almost anything I ever need to do can be done in a non-destructive, re-editable way. I don't go back. I just re-adjust.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have never used the Layers Panel in a decade of Photoshop use I wonder what kind of work you do with Photoshop and if you are at all familiar with the concept of working non-destructively (the one D Fosse mentioned already).

So, you often use Photoshop without needing the history palet?

Once again, if I have to undo more than one History State I could do that without seeing the History Panel through Keyboard Shortcuts.

But in my standard workspace I actually have the History Panel open on the secondary monitor – but if it should not be open in the default workspace come CS6 that does not matter much, because I assume I can tranfer my existing workspaces and otherwise I will just set up a new one to my liking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 27, 2012 Feb 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree that the History Palette (think they might have changed the title to "Panel," to match the nomenclature of some other Adobe programs), and if it is not in the default Workspace (with the Save Palette Locations, or similar syntax, checked), then a Custom Workspace should provide you with that.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The workspace management capability in Photoshop is actually quite good.  Once you learn how the various features of it work, setting up your own (named) workspace is quite logical, and will help you get the most out of Photoshop for your own needs.  Even returning your system to your preferred workspace setup after temporarily changing it is a breeze.

One thing that I find TREMENDOUSLY alleviates workspace woes is to run multiple monitors.  In my preferred workspace, almost the entire left monitor contains the Photoshop main window, and is where image editing occurs, while the right monitor houses many of the panels (but not all of them).  It's very handy to have, at a glance, things like the INFO, HISTOGRAM, and NAVIGATOR panels visible.

If you find yourself struggling with managing your screen space, and not being able to see all that you need to see at once, do consider running two or more monitors.  Modern computers are quite up to the task, and you might never want to use a system with just one monitor ever again! 

DualMonitorPhotoshopLayout.jpg

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALSO:   I use a Wacom tablet to work with Photoshop. Sometimes I like to use the left-click button of the mouse to paint with. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Please tell me why this is and how to get the left-click button of the mouse to work with cloning and painting in Photoshop CS5 all the time. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gather none of you have any advice about using Norton Ghost 15. Oh well....

Guess I'll just have to give it another trial run when I soon reformat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sidarthurr, I run the same Windows 7 system I installed at the end of 2009, and I use this system as heavily as anyone on the planet.  Your basic question about the Norton software assumes that you have to take special action to be able to recover your system from some unknown corruption that seems to recur for you.  That's not a given!  If your system is degrading like that you should strive to get to to the bottom of why it's happening.

Regarding the ability to restore an entire system from a backup after a failure, why not just use the various features Windows provides, such as creating a System Recovery disc, use of the System Restore facility, and making backups with Windows Backup?  When you configure Windows Backup to create a System Image backup, it can perfectly restore an entire system.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not an abnormal thing to periodically need to reformat a computer! 

With Norton Ghost 15 I am SUPPOSED to be able to reformat, load all my essential programs then use Norton Ghost 15 to take some sort of 'snapshot' of the operating system when it is at peak performance and bring the system right back to that point should I have problems in the future where I need to reformat; thuse saving myself HOURS AND HOURS of having to load lots of programs after reformatting. That's the way it's supposed to work. I have a friend that uses Norton Ghost 14 and loves it. He has five-computers. Unfortunately, Norton Ghost 15 can only be used on ONE computer and, from amazon reviews, half the people love it and half the people hate it. This being the case I will only buy the program if the trial version from the Symantic website actually works for me; and you need that special disk from Norton for it to work

http://community.norton.com/t5/Other-Norton-Products/Norton-Ghost-V15-why-no-wizard-to-create-emerge... 

I've always had a problem in that my main computer tends to not want to save restore points. It has been really frustrating in this I can't depend on my main computer saving a restore point

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sidarthurr wrote:

It is not an abnormal thing to periodically need to reformat a computer! 

Absolutely it is.  It should never be necessary to wipe a Windows system clean and reinstall everything.  If you're finding doing that necessary, then you're installing/running things you shouldn't be, could use better security settings, have chosen a poor suite of anti-malware software, and/or have hardware problems.  I'll be happy to discuss this further with you if you'd like.

By the way, as you may have seen from my screenshot above, I prefer to keep the HISTORY panel displayed on the screen full-time myself.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a friend who builds computers and fixes them for others. He likes to reformat his computer about every six-months because he likes having his computer as though it is fresh and new. This is the first I have heard that it is not customary to periodicaly reformat a computer. Do the rest of you agree with Noel? Do you consider it abnormal to periodicaly reformat your computer. I have had to reformat my computer periodically ever since I have had a computer and that has been over 10 years. I may try a program and decide I don't like it and delete it from my computer and yet not all of that program has been uninstalled. Junk like this tends to accumulate and slow down a computer.

Or so I have learned. I just did a web search about reformatting computers and I found nothing stating that it is abnormal to periodically reformat a computer. Noel is the FIRST I have ever heard of who seems to feel it is not a standard thing to periodically need to reformat a computer.

I'm curious if the rest of you agree with Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many things that can be done with Photoshop that I have never, ever used.  If I can custom create a workspace set of pallets I would want:   Sharpen, Sharpen Edges  Hue & Saturation  Color Balance  Brightness & Contrast  Image Size  History   Besides the cloning tool these are what I mainly use in my personal hobby Photoshop work for creations like this:   http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k609/DigitalNation/9inVchairMNSTREAM.jpg  http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k609/DigitalNation/2inSUNCHAIR.jpg  http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k609/DigitalNation/KAABAMILKYWAY.jpg  http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k609/DigitalNation/2in2vOMvarTHESUN.jpg   Photoshop digital art is a hobby of mine. It would be nice to be able to customize my workplace by putting in the things I consistently use and getting out pallets that I never use I'm hoping this can be done. If so I would appreciate your help in customizing my Photoshop workplace.  Thanks   SURE AM GLAD I could figure out ON MY OWN that clicking on HTML before I start creating a post here allows me to copy and paste what I have written into my OpenOffice word processing program. Sure am glad I figured that out!

SPECIAL EDIT:

But then...all separate lines and paragraphs are merged together into a big mess. Oh well....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Starting Over: Repartitioning, Reformatting and Reinstalling  By Bob O'Donnell  There’s nothing quite like the feeling you get when you first turn on a new computer and begin to use your unspoiled machine. Except in very rare occasions, it’s one of the few times you can be virtually guaranteed that everything will work, that the software already installed on the hard disk won’t crash and that you can get something useful done. Of course, this technological honeymoon never lasts terribly long, because you invariably install some new software, add new hardware, make some configuration changes or do something that—though it should work fine—eventually leads you down the slippery slope of seemingly inevitable PC problems.  The desire to recreate that "fresh" feeling often leads people to start over with their computers by reformatting their hard drive(s) and reinstalling their applications from scratch. In fact, I’ve heard..." http://www.everythingcomputers.com/reformat.htm  MY COMMENT: I did not read the entire article, but I agree with the above statements. This has been my experience with computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines