• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat X: Lost default duplex print

Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2012 Feb 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I upgraded, I lost the ability to duplex print by default and would like to know if I can restore it. I'm working on a mac and there is no duplex option in Acrobat's print command. My printer settings are set on duplex and it operates just fine in other programs. In Acrobat, I have to go into its printer settings via Properties to select duplex. I just want Acrobat to not override my printer settings and default to single-sided when I want 2-sided. Is there way to at least change the default print settings in Acrobat without having to change the Properties setting for each and every file? What an odd feature for Adobe to put into this software and I hope a fix is imminent if there is no simple solution in the current version. One expects an upgrade to be an improvement only in areas where it improves the workflow, not detracts from it, yes?

TOPICS
Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the 10.1.2 update, Duplex has been turned ON by default for printing. Is this the version that you are using? Here is an article with further information on Adobe Reader/Acrobat 10.1.2 sets Duplex ON by default for printing. Apparently, the following key gets generated automatically when a user tries to print on a duplex printer and then closes Reader/Acrobat 10.1.2 in the Mac preference file setting:

[user]/Library/preferences/[com.adobe.Reader.plist OR com.adobe.Acrobat.Pro.plist]

The name of the key is DuplexMode under AVGeneral and it has Number/int data type.

1 = Simplex (no duplex)

2 = Duplex with Long edge

3 = Duplex with Short edge

NOTE: 0 (or key does not exist) = Duplex with Long edge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. I just got the update so yes it is that latest version. There is no print on both sides option in the print dialogue and duplex is not the default. The print command image in the article link you provided doesn't look like like my dialogue box (screen capture below) even though as I said earlier the printer otherwise duplexes just fine for anything besides Acrobat. I tried locating the .plist file you referred to in hopes I could maybe manually adjust the number in there to change to a duplex default. I found two instances of DuplexMode doing a search and neither had a number associated with it to edit. I'm afraid no progress just yet in resolving this.

Acrobat-print-dialogue.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 29, 2012 Feb 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

C'mon people, Adobe, someone?? Is there no answer or resolution to this, something more I can do? This is important and I don't want my issue to get relegated un-answered to the dustbin at p. 15 of these forum posts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 01, 2012 Mar 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear user,

If you aren't getting your Print dialog like above then i doubt that your version is 10.1.2. Kindly check your version from Acrobat->'About Acrobat' and let us know the result. Also, do try setting duplex from 'Properties' and check if that works fine for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2012 Mar 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I'll repeat it if necessary, it is the latest version 10.1.2. I also very clearly said that I have to go into Properties to select and get duplex printing. I appreciate you trying to help but I'm having to be redundant here while wanting to move on to more productive avenues. Adobe seems to have checked out on this one given some other posts. Poor poor customer service. Makes me want to go back to ver. 9 and stay there FOREVER if this is a so-called improvement. Sorry I'm just thoroughly disgusted having to even spend my time on this. Adobe could at least respond and quickly and tell us all what the hell is going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 04, 2012 Mar 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please understand that this forum is absolutely not a means of communicating directly with Adobe. It s a User to User Forum primarily provided as a means of end users assisting each other. Adobe executives and management do not monitor these forums directly. Some Adobe employees do monitor these forums, pretty much on a volunteer basis and try to provide some assistance and feedback to decision makers.

The changes in Acrobat & Reader 10.1.2 associated with printing were clearly a big problem. As far as we know,  no one actually lost the capability of controlling simplex versus duplex printing, but rather, a very ill-conceived mechanism was introduced that assumed that if your printer has duplex capabilities of any type, you would or should use them.

The plans of record are to provide a fix for this issue in the next quarterly update to Acrobat and Reader due next month. There will be a control for duplex in the print dialog, but it will only reflect what you have already set in the printer properties (either on Windows or Macintosh). The dialog will allow you to change that setting while in Acrobat, but it will not make assumptions as to what you could or should do vis-a-vis duplex printing. In this respect, it will be similar to print dialogs in applications such as Microsoft Office in terms of allowing access to duplex printing, but not forcing it.

However, there is something peculiar in your particular situation. Normally, with Acrobat & Reader 10.1.2, if the printer supports duplex as determined by the printer's PPD file (for PostScript devices) or from the driver otherwise, you would see a duplex control in the print dialog itself. The fact that your printer supports duplex (correct?) and that you aren't seeing the duplex control in the print dialog is a problem we aren't currently aware of. You are seeing the forcing of duplex without the ability to control it from the print dialog? Correct? I'll send the report of this to the appropriate group within Acrobat engineering.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 05, 2012 Mar 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen a couple of similar reports on here, and at least one of our printers gets it wrong (Epson Photo R285 can't do duplex but Acrobat thinks it can):AX-R285-duplex.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

I would like you to test what happens if you takes out the print with such setting.Are you getting both side prints with this 'Print on both sides' checked?

It might be the case that some other setting at your end is making it to disable. Please check and let us know. Also, please forward the url from where you have downloaded the driver. The driver is capable of doing duplex at my end from Properties also(see the attached screenshot)

Epson Stylus R285.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Stylus Photo R285 physically cannot print duplex. If you've installed the driver from Epson's website and have not got an actual printer plugged in, it defaults to showing everything as the dialogs are shared assets between a number of Stylus models. Once it detects the printer and reads the ident string, the duplex setting is disabled as per my screenshot.

sonal2890 wrote:

Hi Dave,

I would like you to test what happens if you takes out the print with such setting.Are you getting both side prints with this 'Print on both sides' checked?

It might be the case that some other setting at your end is making it to disable. Please check and let us know. Also, please forward the url from where you have downloaded the driver. The driver is capable of doing duplex at my end from Properties also(see the attached screenshot)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

What if you check 'Print on both sides' at print dialog and then takes print out? Are you getting only alternate no. of pages in that case or any disturbed order of pages? If no, then I think its expected and correct behavior  because eventually you are getting simplex output from simplex printer.

As already stated by Dov in his post dated Mar 4: In our next quarter release, the default behavior of control for duplex in the print dialog will be to reflect what you have already set in the printer properties rather than forcing it to duplex mode, so it will result into 'Print on both sides' uncheck bydefault for your case  and hence there will not be any conflicts as user already know that printer doesn't support duplex and one can't get duplex print out of simplex printer.

I hope this would be useful for you!

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Printouts are simplex even with the checkbox turned on. Showing the checkbox in the first place is the incorrect behavior.

sonal2890 wrote:

Hi Dave,

What if you check 'Print on both sides' at print dialog and then takes print out? Are you getting only alternate no. of pages in that case or any disturbed order of pages? If no, then I think its expected and correct behavior  because eventually you are getting simplex output from simplex printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was unaware I couldn't reach Adobe through these forums, which seems odd to me but I do appreciate your interest in moving this along.

Answers to your questions/points:

The fact that your printer supports duplex (correct?) - Correct

you aren't seeing the duplex control in the print dialog - Correct

You are seeing the forcing of duplex without the ability to control it from the print dialog? Correct? - Not sure what "forcing of duplex" means but it is correct that I can achieve duplex printing on my duplex printer via the Properties dialogue but not via the Print dialogue in Acrobat X.

I've attached a screen shot in case there is any further doubt about the ver. involved.

Screen Shot 2012-03-05 at 6.47.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2012 Mar 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dov Isaacs wrote:

Please understand that this forum is absolutely not a means of communicating directly with Adobe. It s a User to User Forum primarily provided as a means of end users assisting each other. Adobe executives and management do not monitor these forums directly. Some Adobe employees do monitor these forums, pretty much on a volunteer basis and try to provide some assistance and feedback to decision makers.

The changes in Acrobat & Reader 10.1.2 associated with printing were clearly a big problem. As far as we know,  no one actually lost the capability of controlling simplex versus duplex printing, but rather, a very ill-conceived mechanism was introduced that assumed that if your printer has duplex capabilities of any type, you would or should use them.

The plans of record are to provide a fix for this issue in the next quarterly update to Acrobat and Reader due next month. There will be a control for duplex in the print dialog, but it will only reflect what you have already set in the printer properties (either on Windows or Macintosh). The dialog will allow you to change that setting while in Acrobat, but it will not make assumptions as to what you could or should do vis-a-vis duplex printing. In this respect, it will be similar to print dialogs in applications such as Microsoft Office in terms of allowing access to duplex printing, but not forcing it.

However, there is something peculiar in your particular situation. Normally, with Acrobat & Reader 10.1.2, if the printer supports duplex as determined by the printer's PPD file (for PostScript devices) or from the driver otherwise, you would see a duplex control in the print dialog itself. The fact that your printer supports duplex (correct?) and that you aren't seeing the duplex control in the print dialog is a problem we aren't currently aware of. You are seeing the forcing of duplex without the ability to control it from the print dialog? Correct? I'll send the report of this to the appropriate group within Acrobat engineering.

- Dov

Hello Dov.

Thank you for your input. Can you confirm that these strange printing issues would also cause my PDF files to print in color and 1-sided even when the default in Control panel for my printer is 2-sided and B&W?

Thanks!

-cw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This is an already known issue at our end and we are tracking it through bug. We cannot ascertain when the fix for this would be released but please be assured that we are working on this.

We will update the forum once we have the fix available with us.

Thanks,

Atul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 13, 2012 Mar 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having some strange issues too, fresh install.

It seems I have a document that will only print Duplex, even though Simplex is selected in the document properties and I can't seem to alter this on the print settings. Screenshots attached. I actually want to DISABLE double-sided / duplex printing.

Versions:

OS X 10.7.3

Acrobat Pro X - 10.1.2

acrobat_x_screenies.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2012 Aug 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with Acrobat X Pro 10.1.3 on a Mac and a Brother HL-5340D laser printer.  I recently switch to using a MacBook Pro from a Windows laptop.

The duplex worked fine with the printer and X Pro under Win7.  It works fine with MSWord and other applications, it presents the printer presets drop down menu (one I have set duplex), as it does in other applications.

With Pro X I get the same print dialogue that conmolbry showed in his Feb 27, 2012 post.

To get it to print duplex I can: (1) click on the "Printer" button-it shows me the usual (not Acrobat) print dialogue, (2) click print in that dialogue (i.e. do not change anything) (3) that puts me back to the Acrobat diallogue, now when I click print I get two-sided printing. A little cumbersome and somewhat annoying, and wasteful of paper, when I forget do the extra step.

I have tried reloading the driver as instructed from the Adobe help site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2012 Nov 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.... I am thinking of downloading Pro XI to see if it is any better.....

Below are screenshots from acrobat 9 and 10. I will try what bobwcsu says but it is really bugging me

thanks for any help guys

*Edit- attached wrong screen shot

acrobat9Print.pngadobeXprint1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2013 Jan 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently our network installed Adobe Pro X and I noticed that duplex and drawer choices were not reflected correctly.  After extensive online search, I could not find a remedy but was able to isolate the issue to only in-browser printing.  If I opened Adobe Acrobat X Pro and changed the Edit>Preference>Internet settings and unchecked Display PDF in browser, the printing defaults were correct.  Currently that is what I have recommended to my coworker and seems to have Band-Aided the problem.  I hope this information can help others...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2016 Mar 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I too had the problem of not being able to print and not having a dialogue with the option to print on both sides. I found that this problem could be rectified in Windows by going to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers > Printer Properties > Device Settings > Installable Options > Duplex Unit: Not installed.

By clicking on Not Installed, a drop-down menu appeared with the option of Installed. Selecting Installed and then clicking OK fixed it.

Now when I print in Acrobat Reader, there is the option to "Print on both sides of paper."

The exact path in Control Panel described above may vary slightly, of course, depending upon your verison of Windows, but following it as much as possible (allowing for variations) should get you there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines