• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

broken links with index keywords

Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2012 Feb 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using RH 8, I have 20 broken links associated with index keywords. can someone advise how to easily get rid of these broken links?

Many thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 22, 2012 Feb 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume you are talking about links to index keywords rather than unused index keywords. If so, you have references to those index keywords somewhere inside your project. Your options are to repair the links or remove the references. If you right click on each broken link there are options to Edit, Restore and Show References which will help you find out what is going on.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Colum, what does the unused index keywords report signify? are these keywords that were once created for the index but are unused now because the references don't exist anymore?

Also, when I open the Topic References for a broken link, delete is greyed out. I would like to use it but I can't find a way to make delete active.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's exactly it. When a topic is deleted, its keywords are left behind in case you need to add them to other topics. If you just have these, you can delete them from the Index pod.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is more complicated. I have broken links that are also missing topics. These missing topics are not needed and weren't deliberately created by me. Look at this pic of one of them:

missingtopic.PNG

this seems to be several topic names put together under one htm topic. I have the separate topics, namely, Introduction, and Assumptions for a duty Person in the correct place in the project. Notice the ABB Docs and s6010001... are not topics but file folders in the project. How can I delete the htm in this picture? I have another 18 others like it that need deleting as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That looks like a single file to me. It's just also showing the path to the file as well. (or where it used to live, perhaps?)

Perhaps if you could expand out the s6010001 folder and its sub-folder and post  screenshots of what is in there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2012 Mar 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is another broken link similar to the one above showing the folder structure that doesn't match the link. you can see there is no ABB Docs.

tuesbrokenlink.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing I don't think we've ever established is whether these bookmarks are actually present in one of the linked word files you have in your project. Also I notice that in your previous screenshot the ABB Docs folder did exist. If it doesn't now, what has changed? Are we even talking about the same issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. the bookmarks in question here were not in any of the linked Word files.

2. In the previous shot, yes the ABB docs folder existed but since removing other broken links, I believe I removed this folder because there was nothing in it.

In sum, I am down to 3 broken links from the 20 I started with at the beginning of this thread.

I hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK so do you need the link to the "Logging onto the FIG" topic? If so, you'll need to find where this topic exists and change the path to point to it. If you don't need this link you can just remove it from the topic where the link exists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I resolved the "Logging into the FIG" topic.

I have 3 links left to resolve and I don't need any of them. When you say "you can just remove it from the topic where the link exists" what is the procedure for doing this? can you explain better?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 07, 2012 Mar 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you'll need to do is find out where the reference is to the broken link. Are these in your TOC or inside a topic? If they in the TOC it should just be a case of deleting the topic/page from there. If the reference is in a topic, you'll have to open that topic, find the reference and remove it. The Link View should tell you where the references are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2012 Mar 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

the problem is I have a couple broken links like the following:

ProblemLink37.png

my problem here is I can't identify a valid topic from the file name. the file name is a mass of several topics together that I don't believe were ever linked, that is, one topic did not have an internal link to another. It seems very random...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp