• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Switching on topics and TOC items.

Mar 06, 2012 Mar 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Robohelp 9. Webhelp output.

I am creating the help file for a product with an add-on feature. If clients pay for the add-on, we turn on a switch in the code(SINGLE CODE BASE) and they get access to additional screens and data elements.

Is there anyway to mimic this in the help file? So, when we turn on the switch in the code, we somehow get access to additional content in the help. Topics and in the TOC.

Thanks,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use merged webhelp so that most of the content is in child 1, then when you install the extra software, you also install child 2. The parent is effectively a shell. See merged help on my site.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 08, 2012 Mar 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. That is helpful, but if I understand it correctly the help other(me) has to add or remove child projects as required.

Do you know of any way for the on/off switch in application code to expose/hide the child project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Not trying to dissuade you from your approach here, but it's something to consider.

Several years ago I did some work for an employer that also offered software that worked much as you describe. The help system was antiquated and they were in the process of bringing it into the Windows platform from being DOS based. I described to the owner of the company that we could fashion the help so they only had help for what was installed. His response was eye opening for me.

His response?

NO, I want the customer to always have ALL the help as if they had purchased every module. By seeing the help and what is possible to achieve with other modules, perhaps it would entice them to later purchase the additional modules!

Something to consider. It certainly made me think differently about this aspect... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 08, 2012 Mar 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, we will probably do that when the new features are actually available. For the moment they are turned off and the help topics need to be "off" too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp