Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving in to Robohelp from Framemaker

Contributor ,
Mar 07, 2012 Mar 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I am producing manuals in unstructured Framemaker 10.  I want to take these manuals online, build a help file and eventually have a manual on an ipad/iphone.  I have the following questions:

Coming from Framemaker, will Robohelp be a logical program to learn?

Does Robohelp work along side Framemaker?

Why should I not use Madcap's Flare?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 07, 2012 Mar 07, 2012

Having the Technical Communication Suite allows you to link your FM files into a RH project and publish your output directly from FM. Without the Technical Communication Suite you'd have to author in FrameMaker, import the files into RoboHelp and publish your output from there. The disadvantage of this approach is that you'd have to re-import the FM files every time you update them. In summary, the Technical Communication Suite just make things easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flare is a rude word in these forums

To be perfectly frank, both Flare and RoboHelp can achieve your aim. However as your content is currently in FrameMaker, RoboHelp has a distinct advantage over its rival. If you have the Technical Communication Suite (which inlcudes both FrameMaker and RoboHelp) you can continue to author in FrameMaker with your files linked to a RoboHelp project. You just need to set-up your RoboHelp project to publish your output in your required format (yes you can output for i-Pad). Once you are ready, you can generate and publish your online output directly from FrameMaker.

Even if you didn't want to use the Technical Communication Suite you can easily import FrameMaker files directly into a RoboHelp project. There are some good resources on these areas over on the Adobe TV site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for getting back to me.

This is the answer I hoped for.

One thing I'm not sure I understand though; why is it an advantage to have the Technical Communication Suite over simply adding Robohelp to Framemaker?

I think I will dl the Robohelp trial and go from there.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the Technical Communication Suite allows you to link your FM files into a RH project and publish your output directly from FM. Without the Technical Communication Suite you'd have to author in FrameMaker, import the files into RoboHelp and publish your output from there. The disadvantage of this approach is that you'd have to re-import the FM files every time you update them. In summary, the Technical Communication Suite just make things easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant.

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

In addition to the functional advantage of the suite, the suite also has an interesting price tag. If you need to buy a full RoboHelp licence, that will set you back $999. When you upgrade your FM 10 to the TCS 3.5, you pay $1299. For the $300 bucks you'll not only get RoboHelp, but also Captivate, Acrobat X Pro and PhotoShop CS5. If you are using more than a single product from the suite, it's always cheaper to go for the set. That's how I convinced my manager to go for the TCS.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Willam van Weelden wrote:

Hi,

In addition to the functional advantage of the suite, the suite also has an interesting price tag. If you need to buy a full RoboHelp licence, that will set you back $999 / £ 632.40 . When you upgrade your FM 10 to the TCS 3.5, you pay $1299. For the $300 bucks you'll not only get RoboHelp, but also Captivate, Acrobat X Pro and PhotoShop CS5. If you are using more than a single product from the suite, it's always cheaper to go for the set. That's how I convinced my manager to go for the TCS.

Greet,

Willam

I saw that, and it's a good argument.  Not sure about Captivate, but the rest make a good set.

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 04, 2018 Oct 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

RoboColum(n)  wrote

Having the Technical Communication Suite allows you to link your FM files into a RH project and publish your output directly from FM.

I have TCS 3 (FM12 & RH10).

I have book in FM, how do I link this book (or its files) to RH Project?

Appreciate any help.

Thank You.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp