21 Replies Latest reply: Apr 1, 2012 11:43 AM by wallmg35 RSS

Premiere Elements 7 crashes worse on faster computer

wallmg35

I have been running Premiere Elements 7 for a few years with sketchy and slow, success on a straight Pentium 4 machine with about 1.2 GB of RAM. It would crash sometimes, and was really too slow to get any real work done, so I decided to install it on my once dedicated DAW, which has the following specs:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L MoBo; Q6600 processor; OCZ 4GB DDR2 800 RAM; Windows XP-32; Gina 3G soundcard; Asus EAH3450 graphics card (which is an ATI Radeon HD 3400 Series card) with 512MB Video RAM.

C drive is 75 GB WD Raptor. D drive is 600 GB drive.

On the faster computer, it's worse. It crashes all the time and the sound drops out ever few seconds.

I basically imported a photo into a new project and started getting "Running Low on Memory" messages, and then it crashed. In the lower left corner of the Premiere window, there was a Display Setting warning sign. So, going by what I found on the forum, I went into preferences and changed the Display setting to Standard (the second option). It was originally set on the first option.

I set my scratch disks on the larger drive, where my video elements also reside.

I set my virtual memory to be on this disc as well, at 8196 KB. Originally it was set at 8000 KB on Drive C.

I restarted and managed to get a video clip in there with a photo and did a couple of effects, then got the same low memory message. Also noticed that the Display Warning sign was in the corner as well. Whenever I try to play back something, the sound drops out every few seconds and comes back in.

This makes no sense to me.

The video was shot on a Sony Bloggie camera. Using GSpot, the video clip appears to be:

Video: Codec: avc1  /  Name: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC

Audio: Codec: mp4a: MPEG-4 AAC LC  /  Info: 48000Hz 128 kb/s tot, stereo (2/0)

I'm frankly stumped and would appreciate any help.

Mark

P.S. Since I've had nothing but trouble with Premiere Elements 7 since I got it, do you think Adobe would do a free upgrade to an "unbroken" version? I'm serious. I feel like I spent hard earned money on a broken program. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes worse on faster computer
          John T Smith CommunityMVP

According to what you reported, that file is AVCHD... and I'm not sure version 7 will work with that format

Is there a red line over your clip, in the timeline, before you do anything at all to the clip?

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes worse on faster computer
            wallmg35 Community Member

Yes, there is a red line over the clip, just as there is over photos and anything else before it is rendered. Once rendered, the line becomes green. The video clip shows up in Premiere, and I'm able to manipulate it with zoom, etc., but after a few minutes of working on my project, I get the memory messages, audio dropouts and other anomalies.

Mark

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes worse on faster computer
              the_wine_snob Community Member

Mark,

With Still Images, there WILL be a red line, until you Render the Timeline, as PrE will need to create Video from those Still Images.

Now, Scaling the Still Images, prior to Import, is by far the best thing to do. This ARTICLE goes into more detail. Also, if the Scaling is done in PS/PSE, the quality will be better.

If you have a new computer, see this ARTICLE, as it is likely filled with bloatware, and has out of date drivers.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes worse on faster computer

Bill, I have read in-depth your articles about scaling images prior to import, and have done that already, as I've done in the past with other video slide shows I've created. This is not a "new" computer, but one I built myself a few years ago, so it has no bloatware, and drivers are up to date. I built this machine as a dedicated digital audio workstation, but have decided to use it for video as well since my other one is just too slow, but it's not working so well even though it is a quad core and my other computer is single core with less RAM.

Mark

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes worse on faster computer
                  John T Smith CommunityMVP

>Yes, there is a red line over the clip

That means your original choice of a project setting does not match your video... such a mismatch causes lots of performance problems

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes worse on faster computer
                    Steve Grisetti CommunityMVP

Unfortunately, with Sony Bloggie's, there is no project setting that will work with the video natively. This is even more pronounced an issue in version 7.

If you were running version 10, I'd recommend you use the project settings for the Flip Mino HD.

Otherwise, all you can do is keep your projects short and render your timeline often. With this video, you're trying to wedge a square peg into a round hole, and it's just not going to fit well in a version 7 project.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes worse on faster computer

I get the part with the video not matching project setting (and what's worse is the guy who shot it, shot it vertically ), but I still think there is some bigger issue with the soundtrack going in and out, and the Display alert saying my video card sent back errors, or something to that effect, and the out-of-memory issues. And wouldn't the red line over the video clip just mean it hasn't been rendered yet?

Mark

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes worse on faster computer

Mark,

If you are getting error messages about your video card, it is most likely an outdated video driver. Go to the mfgr's. Web site, say nVidia, or ATI/AMD, and check there for the latest update. Download and install the latest version.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes worse on faster computer
                          nealeh Community Member

wallmg35 wrote:

And wouldn't the red line over the video clip just mean it hasn't been rendered yet?

If you see a red line over your video clip immediately it means that your project setting does not match the format of the clip.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes worse on faster computer

As I said before, all my drivers are up to date. Thanks.

Mark

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes worse on faster computer

Did you check on the manufacturer's Web site, or did you just check them with Windows, or another utility? If the latter, then you are likely 6 mos., or more, out of date.

For the BadDrivers TXT file, see this FAQ Entry.

If you are getting some other error/warning message, about your video card/driver, please list the exact text in that message.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes worse on faster computer
                                nealeh Community Member

Several things strike me as problematic

• PRE7 doesn't support dedicated MPEG4 camera like the bloggie. This is why you will be getting red lines all the time - there is no project setting match for your clips.
                                • Your graphics card is old. The last legacy driver for the 3400 series is v10.2 dated February 2010. The most recent Catalyst suite is dated 7th March 2012 v12.2. Which of these do you have?
                                • Your C: drive is only 75GB total. Even if you have pointed Adobe files to your D: drive, PRE does still create many (measurable in Gigabytes) working files on C: (in W7 it is under C:\Program Data\Adobe, I don't know what it would be for XP). How much free defragmented space does that drive have?
                                • You say you've set virtual memory to 8,196KB. If that is correct and not a typo for 8,196GB that will give you great problems.

See if you can temporarily move stuff off of your C: drive to leave around 40GB free defragmented space. I think that should give you an immediate performance and stability boost. But with that bloggie footage you are always going to have problems.

Cheers,

--

Neale

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes worse on faster computer

Bill, my soundcard drivers had already been updated by visiting the manufacturer's site. My video drivers had just been updated through windows, so I went to ATI's site and updated it from there.

Nealeh, the drivers that came up when I input my video card info on the ATI/AMD site were dated 3/7/12. But when I check the properties of my video driver in device manager, the date says 2/14/12.

Since that update, I was able to work a couple of hours with only one Premiere Elements crash (improvement), but still the audio goes out and in at various times.

I have only one short instance of a video clip from the Bloggie near the beginning. The rest of the project uses photos so far.

Free space on my C drive is 21.8 GB. Free space on the D drive is 377 GB. I'll see if I can free up more on the C drive, but don't think that's going to fix the audio problem.

Yes, that was a typo on the virtual memory, should have been GB.

Thanks for all the help so far.

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes worse on faster computer

OK, there is definitely still something wrong with this computer. I've updated all drivers, etc. While the Premiere Elements 7 runs "better" now, it still crashes from time to time, and does some weird things with the images, like making them upside down in the timeline view, but not on playback. They just don't playback when this happens. Also, when I go to render the project down to a DVD file, I get a Transcoding Error at about 92 percent most of the time. Sometimes sooner. I've tried shutting to the computer down and rebooting, and got it to work one time, but when I had to change something in the video, I was unable to get it to complete the encoding again. So I moved all the files to my other, much slower, single processor computer. It has even less hard drive space on the C drive, only about 20 GB total, and an even older ATI All-in-Wonder video card. Guess what, it took it a while, but it completed the encoding process on that computer.

So, can someone tell me what that means about my newer, faster computer. Why will it not work?

Thanks.

Mark

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes worse on faster computer
                                      nealeh Community Member

Your C: drive free space is the likely culprit. Try freeing up more disk space (temporarily moving stuff of to another drive if necessary) to make 50GB free space and then defragment it.

Does that help?

Cheers,
                                      --
                                      Neale

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes worse on faster computer

Don't really think that's it. I cleared off as much as I could on my fast quad-core computer's C drive, which I think gave me between 30 and 40 GB of free space that I defragmented. I still had the problems mentioned above. The encoding will not complete on this computer.

The reason I'm pretty sure it's not related to hard drive space is, when I moved the project to my slow, single-core computer, that has a 60 GB C drive with only 10 GB free and not defragmented, it processed and encoded fine ... albeit very slow.

So, what gives with my faster computer. Anybody?

Mark

• 18. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes worse on faster computer
                                          nealeh Community Member

I'm out of ideas. Maybe its time for you to contact Adobe - use the 'Contact Adobe' link at the bottom of the page.

Cheers,

--

Neale

• 19. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes worse on faster computer

Well, it seems that you have eliminated every potential issue, that I can think of.

Wish that I could have been of more help,

Hunt

• 20. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes worse on faster computer

Bill,

I'm still not willing to give up just yet. I read back over one of you message where you said to write down exact error messages I'm getting. Sometimes it just crashes without warning or message, but here are a few error messages I have gotten:

1. Desktop Display MOde has been reset because the video card returned an error.

2. The following effect failed to render: Image Control (sometimes it will be some other effect).

3. Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library: Runtime Error! Program:\Adobe Premiere Elements 7.0\Adobe Premiere Elements.exe abnormal program termination.

4. Running very low on system memory.

5. Basic 3D cannot allocate a buffer larger than 30,000 pixels in either dimension.

These happened in a project with no video, except for what was exported out of Premiere for editing in Premiere.

Thanks.

Mark

• 21. Re: Premiere Elements 7 crashes worse on faster computer

Still having problems. But, but in addition to the system level problems above, I have a software issue: When I use title text over an image or something, and fade in or out, everywhere there is a keyframe point, the test will suddenly get brighter for a short burst and then fade out, or whatever. Everywhere there is a keyframe point on the title text layer, this happens. Why? And how can I get this to stop? Very unprofessionaly looking. Thanks.

Mark