• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

11.1.102.62 and Win2K install - SetDllDirectoryW not supported

Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2012 Feb 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been merrily upgrading Flash Player for Firefox over the years on my Windows 2000 SP4 machine, up through and including 11.1.102.55.

The installation program for 11.1.102.62 however, relies on the SetDllDirectory call, which sadly is not supported in Win2K kernel.dll.

Can you go back to using the LoadLibrary call so that Win2K users can continue to benefit from the latest patches and upgrades?

Thank you,

M. Miller

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saw that, but it was the same story for 11.1.102.55.  In fact, even 11.0 didn't official support Win2K but you could install it without issue.

The only thing that's changed that's making it not work with Win2K Pro is the installer (and specifically, the use of SetDllDirectory) not the Flash program itself.  Considering there are critical vulnerabilities that are fixed in 11.1.102.62, now is not the time to throw Win2K users to the wolves.

Thanks,

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 21, 2012 Feb 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark,

I'm forwarding this along to our installer team for their review.  I was not aware of any installer changes for the latest update, but I'm a bit surprised you were able to install 11.1.102.55 on Win2k.

Last Official Win2k Build: 10.1.102.64

Thanks,

Chris

Edit: Removed reference to 10.3 build, as that's also broken with this update.  Added link to the last "official" version that supported Win2k.  Please note that versions previous to 11.1.102.62 were reported to install and work on Win2k but were not tested or guaranteed to work by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2012 Feb 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We did update 10.3, which supports Win2K, with this update.  If you're interested, you can find this version here:

http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/installers/archive/fp _10.3.183.15_archive.zip

Dear Chris,

This update did not work.  

It has the same SetDllDirectory call as 11.1.102.62.

This makes the problem even more severe, since there is no prior version Win2K users can use which does not have the critical security vulnerability.

-M. Miller

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree.  I'm going to escalate this internally.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2012 Feb 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Chris!  Adobe Flash has greatly enhanced our Internet experience for many years and I don't think any of us can imagine browsing the web without it.  I truly hope it will not be too much trouble to help out your legacy Win2K supporters!

Thanks again,

M. Miller

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for future reference, our internal bug number for this is 3122132.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 27, 2012 May 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem on my client's very old W2K SP4 machine. Please fix it, Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AntD00d wrote:

Please fix it, Adobe!

This topic has enough instructions for you to fix it yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat Willener wrote:

AntD00d wrote:

Please fix it, Adobe!

This topic has enough instructions for you to fix it yourself.

Are those workarounds even supported by Adobe? They look like hacks to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I wrote in the other topic, Windows 2000 is no longer supported.

It is a hack, making the installer look for an entry point that exists in W2K.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 28, 2012 May 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat Willener wrote:

As I wrote in the other topic, Windows 2000 is no longer supported.

It is a hack, making the installer look for an entry point that exists in W2K.

Interesting. So even the latest v10.3 is unsupported for W2K SP4? Wow.

What's the latest version that will install and work in Windows 2000 SP4 that doesn't require hacking then? V10.3, downloaded from Adobe's web site, doesn't install in it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.  I can run 11.1.102.55 but not 11.1.102.62 because of this same error message.

Currently the version I have that your web site shows I have.

winflash.jpg

The error message from the 11.1.102.62 intaller.

flasherror.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you guys.  I've confirmed with our Installation team that there was indeed a security related change to the installer which is now causing this to occur.  Could you open up a new bug on this over at bugbase.adobe.com and post back with the URL?  Given 2k's unsupported status with FP 11, I'm not sure how successful I'll be pushing for a fix, but if enough people vote and comment for the bug, anything is possible.

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome Chris!  On behalf of those of us who still use Win2K with Firefox, thank you!

I've reported the bug, as you suggested.  Unfortunately, I can't actually select the correct build or platform when reporting (11.1.106.62 is not an option in the build drop-down, nor is Win2K an option for the platform (which makes sense)).

ANYONE EXPERIENCING THIS PROBLEM, PLEASE HELP BY VOTING FOR THIS BUG HERE:

https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3120661

Thank you,

M. Miller

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2012 Feb 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to thank everyone who has voted already on this bug.

-M. Miller

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for starting this thread, Mike.

I too have some Windows 2000 SP4 pc's, and I also noticed this installation problem when I tried to update them to the latest, safe-from-critical-vulnerabilities-version (v10.3.183.15) of Adobe Flash Player that should be able to be run by Windows 2000 pc's (at least according to the information at the following URL).

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14266.html#main_Archived_versions

This update is all the more important because of the vulnerabilities listed in the following security bulletin:

http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb12-03.html

I'm currently running Adobe Flash version 10.3.183.11 and tried to update to the v10.3.183.15 both by:

1) the pertinent files in the .zip archive available at the following URL:

http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/installers/archive/fp_10.3.183.15_archive.zip

and

2) these two direct links:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/completion/?installer=Flash_Player_10_for_Internet_Explorer

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/completion/?installer=Flash_Player_10_for_Other_Browsers

Unfortunately, both methods produce the installation files which fail with the same error you reported.  I also voted for the bug's fixing at the URL you provided.

Thank you also, Chris, for doing whatever you can to "bump" this issue to an internal area that can get it resolved for us Windows 2000 pc users both now and going forward.  🙂

I'll try to keep checking back here for pertinent updates.  It would be nice if a topical Google search would be able to find this thread as well.  The one below didn't really help me out.

http://www.google.com/search?q=%2Bflash+The+procedure+entry+point+SetDllDirectoryW+could+not+be+loca...

Message was edited by: AcroNot with the following: The google URL actually DID help a bit, since THIS forum is listed there.  They are also discussing this issue at:  http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=52490   (Maybe we can get a post there to have others there check out this forum and the bug report.)  P.S.:  I just assumed the "M" stood for "Mike" because I once knew someone with that name!  :-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2012 Feb 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last year, Windows Update accidentally offered Win2K systems a C++ runtime update that replaced a DLL with one that contained XP-only calls. I go thit by that and had to replace the bad DLL with the older one.

I wonder if the installer has it's own copy of that DLL and is using it. If it's not completely bound in, I wonder if it could be found in a temp directory if the installer extracts a bunch of files. Could you cancel/terminate the installer, find the DLL, and either replace it with a Win2K compatible version, or just delete it so it uses the main system copy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 29, 2012 Feb 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi out there,

there's a way to install newest updates anyway. There exists a wrapper which includes used procdure call.

You may find a howto on my blog

http://www.ortwinpinke.de/2012/02/29/adobe-flash-player-11110262-unter-windows-2000-installieren/

But i also would prefer a solution for a "normal" installation under win2000.

regards from germany

Ortwin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ortwin, clicked on your link but sadly my German is not that good Have same problem as M_Miller and would like some help. Will go and vote re bug,

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mrs. Clift,

Try Goole's transaltion of the page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doh! Of course, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, translated page but as I said, I'm a bit of a novice so I have no idea what I'm supposed to do? Now need it translated into layman's terms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Computer translations do not always make sense; here is what you need to do:

• download http://oldcigaret.info/win2k/files/win2k_xp_v1_10.zip and save it to disk
  • unzip* the downloaded win2k_xp_v1_10.zip file to a new folder, e.g. C:\w2k-wrapper
  • run the bat file INSTALL_WRAPPER.BAT from folder C:\w2k-wrapper\install\
  • copy the Flash Player install file(s) to folder C:\w2k-wrapper\bin\
  • run the Flash Player install file(s) from that folder via double-click

You can download the Flash Player install files

*) if I remember correctly, Windows 2000 did not support zipping/unzipping natively; you may need to download a tool for this, e.g. the free 7-Zip.

Feel free to ask again if some of these instructions are unclear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines