• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to set up a tri-fold brochure?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2012 Mar 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How would I set up a tri-fold brochure in InDesign? I use InDesign CS 5.5 and I know they have a new method which is supposed to be easier since now you can break up pages or what not. There is also the old method which is harder manually, how would I do either? I've never created a tri-fold brochure previous to this usually my brochures have been the saddlestiche ones which are much easier to set up. How would I create a tri-fold? I am looking for the method there is one panel that is shorter(to fold in) and also the one where all panels are equal in size.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the best way depends how you setting the artwork over the "pages"

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

25 years in the printing business and....the 'old' method still works best--one panel needs to be 1/16" shorter than the other two--tell me the 'final folded size' and I will even do the math for placement of guides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess just regular paper 8.5 in by 11 in but would I need to make the actual trim smaller so I can fit in bleeds or is that not necessary? So how would I set it up with guides? Could you walk me through the process? And if you know the other method could you teach me that as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

create a 'new' document--letter size--orientation landscape--set bleed to .125"--two pages.

1st page will be the outside--temporarily move ruler origin to top right corner--set a guide at -3.6875" and another at -7.375"

go to page two--double click the ruler origin to return it to the default upper left corner--put a guide at 3.6875 and another at 7.375

lock the guides---design away:

art that bleeds needs to extend to the bleed lines--ideally the gudes show you the panel sizes--center your art in each panel.

this will net you a piece that is exactly 8.5 x 11 and it will fold where your guide lines are--it's called a standard 'letter' fold (the inside panel is 1/16" smaller than the other two panels. panel sizes are 3-11/16, 3-11/16, 3-5/8--outside of brochure has shorter panel on the left--inside of brochure has shorter on the right)

note: this will need to print on paper that is larger than 8.5x11 to allow for bleeds and trim--(further note--standard ream wrapped paper is actually slightly shoter than 11").

the 'other' method (in my opinion) is more complicated and more time consuming

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2012 Mar 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would I need to set margins for each panel so that it doesn't hit the fold? If so how would I do that with guides? If I wanted to do this with any size paper I would basically divide the paper into 3 sections correct? Then I would have one side where it is 1/16th shorter no matter the paper size? Would I have facing pages? Would there be a specific order I would have to place the content in order for it to turn up correctly? When I print it how would I know where to fold or the the piece off? How should I print it? So I would have to move the origin of the ruler to lock into the trim(black line area) how would I move it or do you mean to flip the ruler? Is there a way to measure it precise at any page size?

The other method you refer to is using the cs5 page shuffle to create the brochure?

@Manish_1988

Thanks I actually have seen those two but I was wondering is there any other ways to do it. Also I wonder for the second link if you would just basically switch the position of the guideline. I also wonder if the columns are a good idea. Also I wonder how would you know where to cut the extra 1/16th inch or fold the paper.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 08, 2012 Mar 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture.JPG

sorry--my connection went down and I couldn't copy what I had typed--so I used this screen capture--just click on the fuzzy image above and you'll be able to read it.

reading your posts leads me to believe that you need to dig into Indesign so you can learn how to use all the features--good luck with your design.

am out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2012 Mar 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2012 Nov 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would the same setup apply if you were using CS6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2012 Nov 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why wouldn't it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2012 Nov 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably because I have a handful of 'apparently' all knowing graphic designers who are telling other folk that it doesn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2012 Nov 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can use other methods in CS6, but you don't have to. I still find the old ways faster, myself, but I'm used to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines