7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 28, 2012 9:51 AM by Adnan Doric RSS

library-path for a Module in Flash Builder?

Adnan Doric

Hi,

How to setup the library-path for a Module in Flash Builder please?

I would like to include a SWC file that is only used by a module, in the module. Flash Builder only let me do that for the main application which kind of defeats the purpose of modular applications.

I can do it in Ant of course, but my module is in same project as the main application and if it doesn't find the needed SWC, there are compile errors.

How do you solve this without Ant and with app/modules in same project?

• 1. Re: library-path for a Module in Flash Builder?
          Adnan Doric Community Member

Shameless bump!

• 2. Re: library-path for a Module in Flash Builder?
            Flex harUI Adobe Employee

There is a separate Flash Builder forum.  I haven’t tried it myself.  I would think the swcs in the library-path shouldn’t matter to the app.  What matters is if you use the classes in the swc in the app.

• 3. Re: library-path for a Module in Flash Builder?

Yes, but the Module that is in the main app project has compile errors if the SWC he need is not added to the main app.
              I need to include the related SWC of course, but I would like to avoid including it in main app if only a module need it, and cannot find a way in Flash Builder to specify the library-path for the Module only.

Do you understand the problem here?

• 4. Re: library-path for a Module in Flash Builder?

Like I said, I don’t use this feature of FB.  A single project with both an app and module in it is supposed to be a single self-contained entity, so I wouldn’t be too surprised that there is only one place to set up swcs.

It sounds like you might want to define the module in a separate project.  There is a way to do that and use the link-report of the application project to optimize the module.

• 5. Re: library-path for a Module in Flash Builder?

Thank you but I would like to avoid creating a new project for each module.

It is not logical to allow Module creation in same project as the main app, but force developers to compile all module dependencies into main app...

A module is meant to be a separate entity which encapsulate all of its logic.

IMHO this is a broken or unfinished feature in Flash Builder as it can be accomplished with Ant or by making separate projects.

Anyway, thank you as always.

• 6. Re: library-path for a Module in Flash Builder?

So again, just putting the module dependencies in the library path for the main app will not weigh down the main app unless the main app uses classes in those libraries.  Are you seeing differently?

Having a module and app in the same project effectively ties them together because in the default configuration the linker will remove all classes from the module that are already in the main app.  There is no way to guarantee re-use of the module in some other application.  Having the single project saves you on having to manage linker dependencies.  It is done for you.  I agree it doesn’t have the flexibility you are looking for, but I’m still not clear you need it in this case.

• 7. Re: library-path for a Module in Flash Builder?

Sorry for some unknown reason, I didn't received the notification.

So yes, after testing you are right, the main app size doesn't increase unless the code from libs is used in it, nevertheless, it wasn't very clear as the libs are linked to the main app.

Anyway, it works as intended, but I still think the UI should allow linking libs to modules directly

Cheers,

Adnan