23 Replies Latest reply: Mar 9, 2012 4:44 AM by Noel Carboni RSS

Intermittent colour rendering problem

Yammer Community Member

In the past few weeks I've noticed a problem with my Photoshop CS5 (12.0.4) / Windows 7 64-bit setup. Maybe once a day, after using Photoshop for a while, the current document's colours will look like they're using the wrong colour space, usually looking more vivid and artificial. The only way out of the situation is to restart Photoshop.

Example 1: after editing an image in AdobeRGB, I flatten it and run an action to resize, sharpen, and convert to sRGB. Occasionally, the picture ends up looking psychedelic.

Example 2: after copying a selection in a flattened sRGB image, I create a new sRGB image and paste. Occasionally, the new image is clearly off, still similar hues but changed in tone and saturation; going back to the original window, there is visual corruption.

I've got an ATI HD5670 graphics card, and have gone through maybe 3 driver revisions while this problem has existed. It's too infrequent a problem to easily replicate, and what I usually do is save and earlier state as a PSD and reload Photoshop.

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Intermittent colour rendering problem
          Creator M.P.

I have this problem once before and I solve this problem very simply. I only reinstall Photoshop and all was working fine.

• 2. Re: Intermittent colour rendering problem
            Noel Carboni Community Member

I have the same card, and I can't say I've noticed this specific problem, but then I have sRGB monitors and usually use the sRGB profile when editing, so it wouldn't be obvious to me if color-management stopped working - normally it doesn't do any transformations anyway.

I *have* seen cases where the Shift - Right Click brush sizing feature just stops working (most recent time was when I stitched a giant panorama yesterday).  I have assumed that Photoshop runs into some kind of OpenGL problem or resource issue and falls back to not using OpenGL in some subsystems.  Perhaps this is one and the same problem you're seeing.  If it happens again, try these things:

1.  Make the document into a window and drag it around.  Do you see the color-management change while dragging vs. when it's dropped?

2.  Try the Shift - Right Click brush sizing shortcut.

By the way, the Catalyst 12.1 driver set (just released this year) seems generally good.

-Noel

• 3. Re: Intermittent colour rendering problem
              Yammer Community Member

I was using the 12.1 RC and am now using the final release. Both have shown the problem.

I am actually overdriving the card, so I've reduced the settings a notch, just in case it's not quite as resilient as it was. It does look like some sort of OpenGL/hardware issue, with it being so random.

Of course, there's another possibility: that they changed something in the driver a few versions back. God knows how long it will take to work that one out. I guess I'll have to just keep on reloading Photoshop when it goes wrong.

• 4. Re: Intermittent colour rendering problem
                PECourtejoie ACP

Hello, Yammer, I would directly suspect the overclocking of the card.

I guess that you will try it one long period of time at default setting, then where it was, to see if it was the cause of your problem.

• 5. Re: Intermittent colour rendering problem
                  Yammer Community Member

Yes, that's the line I'm taking.

I have used the same Overdrive settings for months, and the problem is much more recent. It is possible however, that the card is less tolerant than it once was.

• 6. Re: Intermittent colour rendering problem
                    Zeno Bokor Community Member

Capacitors do tend to get weaker as time goes by but your card isn't that old so if it's overclocking related then it was either because you overclocked the card too much or it's dust related which increased the temperature of the card or the whole case. Do you hear the video card fan going into high gear when these problems occur as that would point to the graphics driver crashing (which may or may not be caused by the overclocking). If it's strictly driver related then also try using older versions from when you didn't have these problems but first uninstall and completely remove the newer versions using DriverSweeper to make sure that there aren't any leftovers interfering with the troubleshooting.

http://phyxion.net/Driver-Sweeper/Driver-Sweeper/

• 7. Re: Intermittent colour rendering problem
                      Yammer Community Member

I can't say I've noticed the fan noise one way or the other. It doesn't tend to go up when I'm using Photoshop; it's more likely to get hot when I'm processing raw, or using other plug-ins.

Unfortunately, I never made a note of when this problem started, or which Catalyst driver I was using at the time, so, if the Overdrive test proves fruitless, I'll have to take a wild guess. Does Adobe have any opinions on the best/minimum nVidia/Catalyst versions?

• 8. Re: Intermittent colour rendering problem

I have always left my ATI cards set on default.  I experimented with overclocking very briefly and found that the performance gains were quite trivial.

-Noel

• 9. Re: Intermittent colour rendering problem
                          PECourtejoie ACP

Also, if you do not play videogames, why do you overdrive your card?

• 10. Re: Intermittent colour rendering problem
                            Yammer Community Member

PECourtejoie wrote:

Also, if you do not play videogames, why do you overdrive your card?

OpenGL?

• 11. Re: Intermittent colour rendering problem
                              Zeno Bokor Community Member

Photoshop barely uses the video card, games would run better but there's no point in overclocking video cards just for Photoshop work

• 12. Re: Intermittent colour rendering problem
                                PECourtejoie ACP

Seeing how fragile OpenGL is between drivers update, I would not try to push the videocards over their limits...

If I was to build a machine now, I'd be annoyed, I prefer fanless cards, but now we need powerful ones for Ps/AE/Pr...

• 13. Re: Intermittent colour rendering problem
                                  Yammer Community Member

I've reset my ATI Catalyst settings and switched off Overdrive. I haven't done much with Photoshop this week, but I was working on an image just now and the problem happened again.

I use AdobeRGB workspace. I was working on an image, and, after finishing all my processing, I was doing my usual chores: running Dr Brown's Services to create two sets of JPEGs of different sizes and colourspaces with and without watermarks... I then ran an action for online gallery publishing:

Flatten Image

Fit Image to 2048 square

Smart Sharpen 0.4 pixels at 50%

Convert to sRGB with Relative Colormetric intent and BPComp.

Normally, this works fine. Occasionally (including just now), the colours go warm/vivid. As an experiment, I went back one step in History (avoiding the last conversion step above) and the colours are returned to normal. Go forwards again, and the image overheats. Going back a step and doing the colourspace conversion manually does not create the colour problem.

Why this should happen only occasionally, I have no idea. It gets the profile conversion wrong intermittently; maybe because it's part of an action assigned to a key combination. God knows. I'm baffled.

• 14. Re: Intermittent colour rendering problem
                                    Yammer Community Member

Correction...

The conversion preview was fine, but the conversion itself made the same error. I tried different intents, with and without BPComp, and it made no difference. The conversion just wouldn't work correctly.

So, I restarted Photoshop, loaded the PSD, added the watermark again, and ran the action. No problem.

• 15. Re: Intermittent colour rendering problem

I've lost track - you're running Catalyst 12.1?

We have shown that this particular version is a bust - apparently it has resource problems with shaders.

Best thing to do is to uninstall it and drop back to the very stable 11.7 release.  I've done just that and Photoshop has been exemplary.

-Noel

• 16. Re: Intermittent colour rendering problem
                                        Yammer Community Member

Ok, thanks Noel. That sounds like a plan. It's a shame though, as I found the PC to be very fast in the last couple of versions.

• 17. Re: Intermittent colour rendering problem

I like the old Air Force saying:  "It's fast, I don't care!  It blows up in midair!!"

I have hopes for Catalyst 12.2. 

-Noel

• 18. Re: Intermittent colour rendering problem
                                            Yammer Community Member

Noel Carboni wrote:

I have hopes for Catalyst 12.2. 

Are those hopes based on anything in particular?

I'm not sure if this is premature, but I'm pleased to say that I've not seen the problem since I installed 11.7

• 19. Re: Intermittent colour rendering problem

Likewise - 11.7 has been good here too.

My hopes are only from the knowledge that Chris Cox said they'd been interacting with ATI on the problems in the 12.1 drivers.

Is 12.2 out?  I've been on a trip and haven't had a chance to look for a couple of days.

-Noel

• 20. Re: Intermittent colour rendering problem
                                                Yammer Community Member

Noel Carboni wrote:

My hopes are only from the knowledge that Chris Cox said they'd been interacting with ATI on the problems in the 12.1 drivers.

Is 12.2 out?  I've been on a trip and haven't had a chance to look for a couple of days.

Only the preview, and no mention of Adobe.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/Catalyst122Previewdriver.aspx

• 21. Re: Intermittent colour rendering problem

Yammer P wrote:

Is 12.2 out?

Only the preview, and no mention of Adobe.

I don't normally try out pre-release versions, but I do need to test the actual release when it comes out. 

An inability to continue to compile shaders is a pretty serious issue; I hope they fix it, giving us both better performance and reliability in the next version.

But 12.2 is still not released, even on the next-to-last day of the month, so they're really pushing this one to the limit.

-Noel

• 22. Re: Intermittent colour rendering problem
                                                    Yammer Community Member

I see that 12.2 is now out. There's no reference to Photoshop in the release notes. I don't know if it's worth trying, when things seem to be working fine with 11.7.

• 23. Re: Intermittent colour rendering problem

I've been running 12.3 (which is what it says it is after you install the release they externally call 12.2) for 1 full day now, and have not had a lick of trouble so far.  It looks like they fixed the shader resource management problem they introduced in 12.1.

Note that I've only been running Photoshop CS5 64 bit - I haven't tested with 32 bit yet.

Unfortunately, the small gain in Photoshop interactivity I felt when moving up to 12.1 doesn't seem to be there at all in this version.  In all honesty it feels about the same.  Perhaps not managing shader resources properly was what was giving the performance gain we saw in painting before.

I ran the Passmark benchmark and it's ever so slightly faster than with 11.7.  I see no difference in Windows WEI score.

Your call whether you want to chance it.  If you do upgrade, check your performance carefully before and after to see if you notice a difference - to double check my results.

-Noel