9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 12, 2012 2:04 AM by drlke RSS

Question about Print Resolution settings in LR4--

drlke Community Member

Under the PRINT module in LR4 -- Print Job --- Print REsolution

How do I reconcile the difference between 1440 dpi versus the max resolutionon my Canon Pro 9500 Mark II resolution of 2400x4800?

AND

Any idea how to select a "non-canon" paper profile -- other than choosing matte or glossy -- such as using epson Signature papers?

thanks for any input!

• 1. Re: Question about Print Resolution settings in LR4--
          Jao vdL MVP

How do I reconcile the difference between 1440 dpi versus the max resolutionon my Canon Pro 9500 Mark II resolution of 2400x4800?

That's easy. They are not the same thing. The 2400x4800 number is likely a density of ink droplets that can be put down on the paper by the printer. These dots are usually laid down in a (random) pattern and they overlap. In order to built a tone, you need many of those droplets (or empty areas without a droplet) and so the actual resolution of this printer is far lower than that. The resolution you set in Lightroom is a pixel resolution. In the image sent to the printer driver, it has that many pixels of a full R,G, and B scale. In general, not scaling in the print panel might be preferred. However if your native resolution (turn on the Dimensions guide to make LR calculate it for you) drops below 240 or so, you should probably scale up to between 300 and 600 for this printer. If you scale, you do not need more than about 600 ppi in that field. You're just wasting resources above that number for a difference that is invisible to everybody but superman (you'll need a microscope to see any difference above that or to put your nose flush with the paper and use a magnifying glass). It really all depends on viewing distance, file resolution, sharpening applied (actually that one is extremely important), and printer, so experiment a little to get results you prefer.

Any idea how to select a "non-canon" paper profile -- other than choosing matte or glossy -- such as using epson Signature papers?

thanks for any input!

In the Color managmenent tab use the Profile popup. Choose "other" and you'll get a list of paper profiles installed in your operating system. Check the ones you want to show up. Make sure to select the correct profile for your paper and the right rendering intent. Lightroom should automatically turn off color management in your printer driver when you select a profile in the popup. The "Matte/Glossy" media type popup you talk about is not for color management but determines the sharpening algorithm that is applied to the output.

• 2. Re: Question about Print Resolution settings in LR4--
            drlke Community Member

Terrific!!!

Thanks so much!

Lke

Sent from my iPhone

• 3. Re: Question about Print Resolution settings in LR4--
              drlke Community Member

Saturday, March 10, 2012 – 2:36 pm

HI again

Thanks so much for the help!

ON the paper profile question

When I go thru those steps to find paper profiles

All that are displayed are Canon papers for my Canon pro 9500 mkII

I also have some “Signature” paper made by Epson

How do I choose the right profile for these papers and still use my Canon printer?

lke

<mailto:lkeverson@comcast.net> lkeverson@comcast.net

• 4. Re: Question about Print Resolution settings in LR4--
                Jao vdL MVP

You need to either choose the closest paper or to download and install the

correct profile for this printer/paper combo. If the profile doesn't exist

(it is not unlikely that Epson doesn't provide profiles for Canon printers)

you can create a profile for it using a spectrophotometer or by printing a

test chart and ending the print to a profiling service.

Sent from my iPad

• 5. Re: Question about Print Resolution settings in LR4--
                  drlke Community Member

Thanks for the tip

Will see what I can find in epson profiles ......

• 6. Re: Question about Print Resolution settings in LR4--
                    drlke Community Member

As an update-

Looking for non-canon paper profiles for the Canon Pro 9500 Mk II --

On the below link – I found a number of ‘3rd party paper profiles” for Canon printers

But no mention of the Epson Signature papers – I guess that is too much of a competitor……….

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/3rd_party_papers

drlke

• 7. Re: Question about Print Resolution settings in LR4--
                      Jao vdL MVP

Yeah I would be quite surprised if Epson offered those. Many third party

paper manufacturers (Moab (http://moabpaper.com/), Hahnemuhle

http://www.hahnemuehle.com/site/en/169/home.html, etc.) will have profiles

for your printer with their papers though

• 8. Re: Question about Print Resolution settings in LR4--
                        drlke Community Member

Got this response from Canon

Thank you for contacting Canon product support.  We value you as a Canon customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you with using ICC profiles with your PIXMA Pro9500 Mark II.

Unfortunately, we do not have information on Epson ICC profiles for our printers.  Please contact Epson support to see if any ICC profiles have been developed for certain papers to use with our printers.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your PIXMA Pro9500 Mark II.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

Michael

Technical Support Representative

drlke

• 9. Re: Question about Print Resolution settings in LR4--
                          drlke Community Member

Response from EPSON

Thank you for contacting Epson regarding your Non-Model.

ICC Profiles for Epson papers are bundled on the printer drivers. Some are available for download from the Epson website for wide format photo printers. However, there's none available that will work for another brand of printer. We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause you.

Should you require further assistance, please reply and reference incident ID: 120311-000291. If you have a different support issue, submit a request via our  <http://www.epson.com/support> U.S. Support Site and we will respond in a timely manner.

Thank you again for contacting Epson.

Ronel G

drlke