6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 12, 2012 8:12 PM by photodrawken RSS

Images viewed in elements organiser appear over saturated compared with acr or editor

StuartMartindale

Hi,

I've been struggling with this for some time now. When veiwing images in elements organiser (10) the images have started appearing more saturated than in either adobe camera raw or photoshop elements editor window. They used to always match. I've tried reseting all the colour presets, I've tried changing every setting I can find in acr and I've resorted to a full re-install of elements (including deleting the presets). None of thise have solved the problem.

I'm pretty sure it is the organiser view which is over saturated rather than acr / photoshop which is washed out as, although mostly quite subtle, sometimes the colours are pushed much too far. (I'm only describing it as saturation as that's how it looks - I couldn't say for sure that it is acutally a saturation setting rather than some other colour setting which is causing the issue).

Every so often  organiser updates it's images as I veiw them to match acr but I've not noticed any one reason why that happens - and if I shut organser down and restart it's back to over saturation again.

Any suggestions would be greatfully recieved,

Stuart Martindale

• 1. Re: Images viewed in elements organiser appear over saturated compared with acr or editor
          photodrawken Community Member

In the Editor's Color Settings, I use "Always Optimize for Computer Screens", and my images look the same in the Editor and the Organizer (even when I use full screen view in Organizer).

Ken

• 2. Re: Images viewed in elements organiser appear over saturated compared with acr or editor
            StuartMartindale Community Member

Ken,

Thanks for getting back to me. You're right - it would seem that if I have every thing set to always optimize for computer screens then everything looks the same. Ideally I wouldn't have that set though - the photos are all taken with adobe RGB colour space and we are more given to big prints than sharing on screen.

This never used to be a problem and I've always previously optimised for printing. The pictures are definitley adobe RGB and checking in canon DPP the raw veiw there is the same as ACR so it is the initial organizer colouring which is at fault. I would rather use optimize for printing as we tend to make big prints from our photos rather than sharing electronic albums. Following the suggestion I've done some more playing with settings and found the following situations:

1) If opening organizer when set to optimize for printing the image opens with the wrong colouring. Changing to optimze for screen and update thumbnial and the colouring corrects. Changing back to optimize for printing update thumbnail and any subsequent changes and the colouring stays correct.

2) If opening organizer when set to optimize for computer screens orgainzer opens showing the right colouring. Chaning to optimize for printing and update thumbnail causes the colouring the change. Changing back to optimize for screen and the image corrects it's self. Changing back to optimize for printing and any subsequent changes and the colouring stays correct.

So in summary the first thumbnail viewing optimized for printing is over satuarated / vivid. Changing colourspace away and back seems to correct the problem.

If the colouring is correct for one photo it will update to be correct for any other images viewed.

If there is a way to make optimized for printing photos display correctly on first opening that would be great.

• 3. Re: Images viewed in elements organiser appear over saturated compared with acr or editor

Scrap that last post - now when I change colour profiles from optimzed for print and screen and update it goes from wrong to right every time.

I tried no colour profile in between, not sure if that's caused the change in behaviour.

Why can't I just optimize for printing, use the adobe RGB colour space the picture was taken with and have everything match...

Stuart

• 4. Re: Images viewed in elements organiser appear over saturated compared with acr or editor

Hi Stuart,

I'm way out of my depth on printing calibrations, but FWIW, here's a couple of thoughts/questions:

1. PSE is targetted to the consumer/hobbyist market, so it's not surprising that there will be fewer options to precisely display what the image will look like when printed on a high-end commercial press, or maintain a consistent colour space between applications unless the images are optimized for computer viewing.
                2. The Elements+ add-in has a "Soft Proof" feature which may or may not accurately display that printing output.
                3. I thought the point of having an ICC profile installed for the printer/paper combination is supposed to correct colours when printing.

In short, what I'm saying is that using the sRGB colour space for images in both the Editor and the Organizer will at least ensure consistent colours when viewed in those apps.  When it's time to output to a high-end printing press, then it's time to either convert the colour space or use a profile to get the colours optimized for the specific press/paper combination that will be used.

Ken

• 5. Re: Images viewed in elements organiser appear over saturated compared with acr or editor

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the comments. I have a colour profile for loaded in for my current paper and I spent ages calibrating our A3 photo printer so that it matches the screen I edit on very well. As far as I can tell that still seems fine with adobe RGB images, optimized for printing, out of photoshop elements.

I think it's because that all of that is set out so well that really bugs me about how the organiser has started really overdoing the colours so that  looking through an album is just all a bit too gaudy.

I've tried loading some colour profiles into the monitor settings, but whilst that can tone down the organizer view (with the adobe RGB profile in the monitor the organizer view looks close to right) it leads to a pretty washed out ACR or photoshop elements image so that isn't the answer - just changes the starting point for the difference!

As far as I can tell the colour profiles for screen and printing set as I had them are still right.

The colour setting - "allow me to choose" would seem to offer a possibly way forward as the organizer view is sRGB and looks about right but would allow opening as adobe RGB for editing and printing. Except it doesn't seem to be allowing me to choose. If I open the image to ACR then into photoshop elements I don't get a choice it just opens as and sRGB image. (And it definitley is an adobe RGB file).

I'm no expert at this either. I just want the image shown in the organizer to match that in camera raw and photoshop elements, and for when I open an image to edit or print for it to use the adobe RGB profile it started with.

Stuart

• 6. Re: Images viewed in elements organiser appear over saturated compared with acr or editor

Hi Stuart,

StuartMartindale wrote:

I just want the image shown in the organizer to match that in camera raw and photoshop elements, and for when I open an image to edit or print for it to use the adobe RGB profile it started with.

I hear you, but it seems that's asking too much of PSE -- I suspect that it's going to be one profile or the other profile all the time.

Ken