11 Replies Latest reply: Mar 13, 2012 2:10 AM by Smallersen RSS

Developing series of images for panoramas in LR4

Smallersen Community Member

Hi forum

Is there a way to  link a series of images while developing, so that they are really(!) developed the same way,

that the lightness of coherent images stay coherent?

I very often need to do enhance shadows.

The sliders Highlights, Shadows, Whites and Blacks work absolutely different in LR with different contents of images.

Crazy enough, a light image gets lighter whith the same setting of enhance shadows than a dark image.

So when you develop a series of images for a panorama with same settings in LR, there are huge differences

for example between the sky and the nadir image.

My stitcher PTGUI Pro does some equalizing, but if you want precise results it´s necessary to develop each image seperately,

a very long process. As I need to work really fast (200-300 panoramas per month), this is annoying.

A easy solution is to zero  Highlights, Shadows, Whites and Blacks sliders  in LR  and use "Shadows and Hightlights" in PSD with the final panorama,

with worse result.

Any other LR-based soution?

My panorama-workflow: Develop images in Nikon NX or Lightroom (from .NEF to .jpg), stitch jpgs in PTGU.

http://www.kubische-panoramen.de/

Coherent images for a panorama. with "Shadows" set to 80. Note that the nadir images are extremely darker,

the sky image is much lighter (green tree and building), a mess.

screenshot.jpg

• 1. Re: Developing series of images for panoramas in LR4
          Tony.S Community Member

As a workaround, you could use PV2010.

• 2. Re: Developing series of images for panoramas in LR4
            Lee Jay Community Member

I never did this even with PV2010.

I always shot in manual and produced the panorama first, and then enhanced that with LR.

• 3. Re: Developing series of images for panoramas in LR4
              Tony.S Community Member

I use the same pano workflow as the OP for several reasons, one of which is that it facilitates creation of HDR panos.

• 4. Re: Developing series of images for panoramas in LR4

By the way, "Fill light" and "recovery" in LR3 produce the same problem.

I hoped, there would be a fix in LR4, like analysing the whole set of images for developing,

a "panorama mode". Instead of this the problem is even worse.

I'm still using LR3 anyway, LR4 is unusable, much to slow on my 8-core Mac.

Am 12.03.2012 um 14:26 schrieb Tony.S:

Re: Developing series of images for panoramas in LR4

created by Tony.S in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussion

I use the same pano workflow as the OP for several reasons, one of which is that it facilitates creation of HDR panos.

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4261277#4261277

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4261277#4261277. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Photoshop Lightroom by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

• 5. Re: Developing series of images for panoramas in LR4
                  Lee Jay Community Member

Smallersen wrote:

By the way, "Fill light" and "recovery" in LR3 produce the same problem.

That's because they, like all the new controls, are image-adaptive.

I suggest you use the non image adaptive controls, primarily the tone curve, when you are doing this.

• 6. Re: Developing series of images for panoramas in LR4
                    dencoyle Community Member

Smallersen wrote:

I hoped, there would be a fix in LR4, like analysing the whole set of images for developing,

a "panorama mode". Instead of this the problem is even worse.

Would "Match Total Exposures" be of any help, Library Module_Photo>Develop Settings>Match...., for a starting develop setting for your photos?

• 7. Re: Developing series of images for panoramas in LR4
                      CStaack

I use the same workflow as you do.

After the pictures are aligned in PTGui Pro, I view them in the Panorama Editor and press "No Blend" (second red button). This shows clearly which pics are too dark or too light. I then adjust Exposure for them accordingly in LR (guessing from what I saw in PTGui; not more than +/-0.30) and export them again.

The remaining differences are easily blended away by PTGui.

Hope that helps.

• 8. Re: Developing series of images for panoramas in LR4

Thanks for your answer.

As I understand, "Match total exposures" just automatically adjust images which are taken with different aperture / shutter speed settings.

As all pictures of my panoramas (of coherent exposure latitude) are taken with the same settings, this does not help.

Am 12.03.2012 um 19:40 schrieb decoyle:

created by decoyle in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussion

• 9. Re: Developing series of images for panoramas in LR4

Thanks. This is exactly the workflow I use in the moment, if the differences are to big.

But it´s a really time consuming and nearly impossible to use more extreme settings.

With Nikon NX its possible use shadow settings without this problems.

But NX has a lot of other drawbacks, not possible to work fast.

Am 12.03.2012 um 20:19 schrieb CStaack:

created by CStaack in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussion

I use the same workflow as you do.

After the pictures are aligned in PTGui Pro, I view them in the Panorama Editor and press "No Blend" (second red button). This shows clearly which pics are too dark or too light. I then adjust Exposure for them accordingly in LR (guessing from what I saw in PTGui; not more than +/-0.30) and export them again.

The remaining differences are easily blended away by PTGui.

Hope that helps.

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4262111#4262111

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4262111#4262111. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Photoshop Lightroom by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

• 10. Re: Developing series of images for panoramas in LR4
                            effeegee Community Member

Smallersen like the panoramas on your web site.  Am I missing something are my standards too low? 

If I edit the key image in LR4 with Autosync on (and the other component images selected) I appear to get the same adjustments on all images, which in turn can be built into a panorama (in my case using PS/CS5 and ACR6.7)  without noticeable discrepancies between component elements. (The night shot I used to test does not really contain extreme differences.)   Previously I have achieved a satisfactory results building HDR elements with Enfuse and LR3.6 to create panoramas in the same way

If the 'image adaptive' features of PV2012/LR4 preclude having common fixed adjustments then I cannot see how to create a satisfactory panorama where images vary widely or is this a variation on how to maintain fixed rather than relative adjustments?

• 11. Re: Developing series of images for panoramas in LR4

Hi effeegee

Of course fixed adjustments will not generate the same effect than image dependent adjustments.

But I could imagine a real "Sync" function, where all included images are assumed as one large

image and treated accordingly.

As Adobe promote developing a set of images with LR and handling it over to PS for

panorama creation, this should be a option.

In the moment you should never include Highlights, Shadows, Whites and Blacks in your sync-settings,

if you want to work precise.

Am 13.03.2012 um 09:46 schrieb effeegee:

If the 'image adaptive' features of PV2012/LR4 preclude having common fixed adjustments then I cannot see how to create a satisfactory panorama where images vary widely or is this a variation on how to maintain fixed rather than relative adjustments?