• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot get .wmv videos to play in HTMLHelp output

Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2012 Mar 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I successfully uploaded five .wmv videos and they display and play properly in the WebHelp output. However, I'm trying to generate the HTMLHelp output and the videos will not play. Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 13, 2012 Mar 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say "uploaded" does this mean that they are not integral to the help file and you are just linking to them? If so, exactly what happens when you try the link from the CHM? Can you post a screen or give us some more information please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried to insert the videos in the following three ways:

1. Insert > Multimedia/Demo
  2. Added the videos as baggage files (this worked for the WebHelp output)
  3. Insert > Hyperlink, then selected "Multimedia" from the Link to drop-down.

In all three instances, the preview (eye glasses icon) in RoboHelp displayed and played the videos fine.

However, when I generate the HTMLHelp output, the first two options displayed the videos like the image below and when you click play nothing happens.

image1.png

For the third option, when you click the link the Windows Media Player opens but again nothing happens when you click play (see image below).

imag2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess here is that because you are launching a .exe file to display the file that the CHM file is complaining. CHM security has been tightened beyond belief by Microsoft in recent years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2012 Mar 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I don't have an answer, but I do have the same problem

I have tried to use .mov, .avi and .swf videos and I can see them all fine locally (using the 'view' button - the little glasses icon), but when I generate and publish locally, the video doesn't work (same problem if I generate and publish to my end destination).

The video appears to be there, so I click on the 'play' button and nothing happens, just a blank space. I did find this in an article...but it appears that I am using the 'allowed' file types. Does anyone know which video file types WILL work in the WebHelp format?

Note: Some file formats do not work properly in compiled Microsoft HTML Help files.

The following are the allowed multimedia file types:

•   Video Files: *.avi, *.asf, *.asx, *.mpg, *.mpeg, *.mpg4, *.mpe, *.mov, *.qt, *.ra, *.rm, *.rpm, *.wmv, *.wvx
  •   MPEG Video Files: *.mpg, *.mpeg, *.mpg4, *.mpe
  •   Windows Media Files: *.avi, *.asf, *.asx, *.wma, *.wmv, *.wax, *.wvx
  •   Quick Time Files: *.qt, *.mov
  •   Real Files: *.ra, *.rm, *.rpm
  •   Audio Files: *.asf, *.asx, *.mp3, *.mp4, *.wav, *.au, *.mid, *.rmi, *.ra, *.rm, *.wma, *.wax
  •   Flash Files: *.swf
  •   Flash Video Files: *.flv, *.f4v
  •   Adobe Captivate Files: *.swf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2012 Apr 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm having the same problem, too. I'm using RoboHelp 9. I'm trying to add a simple screen capture of selecting an item on a window.

I created a simple .avi file using SnagIt.

I tried to follow the instructions in the RH9 help at http://help.adobe.com/en_US/robohelp/robohtml/WS2D897D61-581A-447e-836F-50A19A2EFC12.html, but I didn't see anywhere to set options.

When I select the topic that contains this .avi file, the video plays automatically. When I look at the underlying HTML, though, it says that autoplay is off:

<object data="videos/MarkSelected.avi" classid="CLSID:22d6f312-b0f6-11d0-94ab-0080c74c7e95"

codebase="http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/mplayer/en/nsmp2inf.cab#Version=6,4,7,1112"

type="application/x-oleobject" style="border: none;" width="672"

height="604">

<param name="filename" value="videos/MarkSelected.avi"  />

<param name="autoplay" value="false"  />

<param name="autostart" value="false"  />

<param name="ShowControls" value="1"  />

<param name="controller" value="true"  />

<param name="WindowlessVideo" value="0"  />

</object>

So I tried a different method that I found on the RoboHTML forum. I used Input > Help Controls > Shortcut and made a shortcut to wmplayer.exe with the filename as the argument. When I click that link, though, it brings up the library for Windows media player.

I added it to baggage.

Didn't help.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? The output is HTMLHelp (.chm) and currently I'm working on my local machine, on my C drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp