I worked my way through using CinemaDNG in AE and Premiere. But, there are differences that are me causing confusion:
1) In AE, I use FILE > IMPORT FILE... and select the first DNG file in a folder. The CinemaDNG panel auto-opens. After making adjustments and clicking OK, I can double-click the FOLDER name and the first frame appears in the video window. I can play the file.
2) When I need to alter my adjustment, I must use the FILE > REPLACE FOOTAGE > FILE (and select the first DNG file in a folder) command. Is there a simpler way like Premiere's CLIP > SOURCE SETTINGS command?
3) When I REPLACE FOOTAGE, it has the modified images. NOT, the original footage! Which rasies two questions: Where are the adjustments one makes SAVED? (Is it stored in each image file? In AE?) Is there a REVERT command? (After making new adjustments, the video window shows them.)
4) The DNG frame-size is 2048x1092. Because of garbage on the clips's edges -- I want to CROP -- not SCALE) to 1920x1080. I have set the Render Settings to 1920x1080. I'm not useing Region or any kind of Crop filter. Am I correct that AE CROPS the incoming image to 1920x1080?
In Premiere, CinemaDNG works very differently:
1) FILE > IMPORT... and select the folder to import. After importing, I select the first clip and issue the CLIP > SOURCE SETTINGS command. Amazingly, if I made settings in AE, they appear in the newly loaded clip! This seems wrong -- the original clips should NEVER be modified.
2) Which raises the question, how to fully revert to the original images?
3) I notice Premiere places an XML file into folder --- while AE does not. What's the XML file for?
4) I notice changes made in Premiere show-up in AE -- even if I delete the XML files. Which seems to indicate the adjustments must be made to the DNG files themselves. Which seems to make REVERT impossible. Correct?
5) Premier, unlike AE, seems to have have a problem with frame-rate. In Premiere each frame is set at 1 fps -- which is wrong. After dragging the folder into a Sequence, I've tried selecting all clips and then useing CLIP > MODIFY > INTERPRET FOOTAGE... and set the rate to 999fps which forces the clips 'duration to 0:00:00:01 which is correct. But, now clips will not play. Nor, can they play if dragged into a Sequence. What am I doing wrong?