• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot define style for following paragraph

Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2012 Feb 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to clean up the behavior the styles in a template I am creating and this has become a universal problem. I will give a specific example to illustrate. I am trying to create styles for a glossary and I want to create two paragraph styles:

glossary_entry

glossary_definition

In the edit styles dialogue box for glossary_entry, I want to set Style: / (Style for following paragraph) with the glossary_definition paragraph style. This would mean that after you choose glossary_entry and hit enter, it automatically brings up the glossary_definition style on the next line.

However, when I choose any style that I have created, the style always reverts to the default RH Normal style. Actually, it will work if I choose other/any RH default styles (ex. Heading 1), but never if I choose a paragraph style I created.

You can also choose No Change and it will just repeat the style in question. But this is annoying, as there are many styles I have created that I do not want to repeat. For example, I have a warning element, but I don't want it to keep creating warning elements with every carrriage return. Instead, I want it to return to the standard paragraph style I created.

Not being able to choose paragraph styles makes no sense to me, especially since all the paragraph styles I created appear as options in the Style: / (Style for following paragraph) drop down box.

Can someone please tell me if this is a glitch or what I can do to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance,

Douglas

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2012 Feb 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Douglas,

You should be able to fix this with a minor modification to your CSS file. If you add the x-next-class parameter to the glossary_definition section, the next paragraph should pick up the style you define.

The CSS entries for your pararaph styles should probably look something like this:

p.glossary_definition {

font-family: <font>;

font-size: <size>;

x-next-class: glossary_entry;

}

p.glossary_entry {

font-family: <font>;

font-size: <size>;

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 13, 2012 Mar 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thought I should follow up to share the root cause of this problem, at least in my case. Apparently RH does not like symbols and characters other than the basic alphanumeric variety. I had prepended all my styles with "!" to get them to appear at the top of the styles list and not mix them in with the RH default styles. I had also used underscore symbols between multiple words in the style name. For some reason, the error message that lead me to discover this did not appear until I tried forcing the style with FirstScript's CSS hack:

A style name cannot contain spaces and cannot begin with a digit. Also a style name containing anything but the letters and a-z and digits will not work in browsers other than IE.

I was aware that there couldn't be any spaces, but thought that the underscores were an acceptable work around. I don't think these limitaiton are fully detailed in the RH documentation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 14, 2012 Mar 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

This is a limitation of the HTML standard, not a limitation of RoboHelp. Multiple classnames are seperated by spaces, but underscores are allowed. The limitations are as follows:

• Letters, numbers, underscores and hyphens are allowed in style names.
  • You must start a class name with a letter, an underscore or a hyphen.
  • Class names are case sensitive.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp