Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

chm takes long time to load up

New Here ,
Oct 08, 2006 Oct 08, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

The chm file I generated from RoboHelp seems to take some extra long time to load up.
In my project, I have used javascript, DHTML features and I have a map ID file mapped with different pages.

The help file is by default placed with the application in the same directory.
But setup programe always put registry setting to remember the help file directory anyway.

It doesn't matter if the machine is fast or slow. It always takes at least 5 seconds to open up a chm which has less than 100 KB.
Can anyone tell me what else the file is doing when it is loaded?

Thanks,
Karen

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 09, 2006 Oct 09, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karen,

when you say 5 seconds. Is that the time it takes for the whole .chm window to load or just for the TOC to display?

How about other .chm files on the PC. How long are these taking to load?

Have you tried compiling the .chm with the setting Optimise CHM file size OFF?

Kind Regards
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Craig,

The time is taken from pressing F1 to showing the home page.
When F1 is pressed, I can see the help window is opened but without any content inside (blank).
Then it takes a few seconds to show up the content (the home page).
It is the same no matter the help file has TOC or not.

If I open a chm from other applications e.g. the help file in Windows\help directory, it takes less time to open (when comparing the same file size).
I didn't use the optimize settings since normally the help files I generate are not too big.
But still it takes quite long to open it up and that makes me wondering...

Thanks for your help.
Karen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karen. I've experienced instances in the past where a firewall can have this effect. Adding the name of the file to the "trusted" applications does the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karen,

Is this behaviour only when the help is opened from the application?
What happends if the help file is opened standalone i.e. by clicking on the .chm file?

thanks
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to me that if I open it directly it takes almost the same time as press F1 from the application.
Maybe is a little bit quicker but a blank window is also shown to me before all the things are loaded up.

I will also try the firewall one very soon.

Thanks,
Karen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 10, 2006 Oct 10, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might also be worth testing opening the file on different PCs to see if there any differences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I tried that. No matter in a faster or slower pc, it takes the proportional amount of time to load up.
So I thought it must be something in the html cause the delay.

Also, I have put the help file in the exception list of my fire wall, it has no difference...

Karen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Umm! I think this may be down to the makeup and content of the CHM. You mention you use DHTML. Do you have a lot of these? What do they contain? Have you tried making a copy of a topic containing the DHTML, removing it and recompiling to see if that makes a difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp