12 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2014 8:54 AM by Steven L. Gotz RSS

Why are my videos being resized when exported?

CognizanCe1

Hello all.

I am importing 1440x1080 .mts files into premiere pro.

I'm not doing any thing else to them. I simply wish to import them then export them as .avi files.

I go to file > export > Media.

In the "summary" section, it always shows output: 720x480, even though it shows the source sequence as 1440x1080.

For "Format" at the top of export settings, I choose "Microsoft AVI", or "uncompressed microsoft .avi"

If I check the "Match sequence settings" check box, it leaves the video at it's 1440x1080 resolution, but it squishes the video itself into 4:3 aspect ratio, distorting the image a lot.

• 2. Re: Why are my videos being resized when exported?
          Stan Jones MVP

If you are just wanting to convert to avi, try importing directly to adobe media encoder and export.

• 3. Re: Why are my videos being resized when exported?
            SAFEHARBOR11 MVP

It might help us to help you if you can share your intentions/workflow. There is very little reason to convert HDV to uncompressed avi for example. What is it that you ultimately wish to accomplish? Your video looks squished because HDV is anamorphic widescreen, using non-square pixels with an aspect of 1.33, multiply by 1440 and you get 1920. Export to 1920x1080 with 1.0 pixel aspect and it will look correct, but please tell us your goals and there may be better solutions.

Thank you

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

• 4. Re: Why are my videos being resized when exported?
              CognizanCe1 Community Member

I want to record, edit, then export HD video.

I want these videos to be able to be watched in HD on youtube.

The video recorded is 1440x1080.

So far I can stop it from being resized by choosing h.264 as the format from the export settngs, and it doesn't get distorted.

EDIT:

The original reason I'm also bringing them into premiere pro, is to de-interlace the 1080i HD video.

When reiewing the video on my PC, the interlace lines are glaringly obvious.

Simply brining them into premiere pro then exporting them, seems to fix them.

I just don't like the compression of h.264

Message was edited by: CognizanCe1

• 5. Re: Why are my videos being resized when exported?
                the_wine_snob Community Member

You can use myriad Export settings, and many different CODEC's. The resizing came from choosing a DV Export Preset, which will be 720 x 480 for NTSC. Just do not choose one of the DV Presets, say MS AVI, and then select an applicable CODEC. The MS AVI Uncompressed should have been good, albeit with large file size, and I am not sure that it would be useful in YouTube.

For YouTube, H.264 is not a bad CODEC, but you might want to experiment with WMV (are you on a Mac, or PC?)

Jim Simon furnished a link to an Adobe FAQ Entry, on "Export Settings."

Also, is your 1440 x 1080 Anamorphic with a PAR = 1.3333, or does it have square pixels, i.e. PAR = 1.0? The reason that I ask is your comment about "squished" in the output file.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Why are my videos being resized when exported?
                  taz291819 Community Member

PP5.5 doesn't do a good job of de-interlacing, I'd use AE.

• 7. Re: Why are my videos being resized when exported?
                    SAFEHARBOR11 MVP

If you don't like the look of the H.264 output, then you didn't have the right settings. There should in fact be a YouTube HD preset available in Adobe Media Encoder, to encode to 720p using square pixels. With your 1440x1080 video, you'd be upscaling to go to 1920x1080, and that's kind of a big file for people to watch anyways. I think going down to 720p is ideal for YouTube, and this will fix the squishing issue you had as well.

Encoding to an avi file will produce a very large file which is going to present an issue to upload, look under H.264 for the YouTube HD preset.

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

• 8. Re: Why are my videos being resized when exported?
                      jahZ Community Member

yes, i am having the same issue ... i am using premiere cc and  i have 1920 x 1080p 25 fps sequence that i am trying to export at the highest quality, so that i can import it back into premiere for further editing (long story). in any case the AVI Uncompressed defaults to 720 x 480 and no matter what adjustments i make to the settings under preset (of which, custom is the only option) or aspect (under the video tab), it retains the 720 x 480 setting?

any help would be appreciated, thanks

• 9. Re: Why are my videos being resized when exported?
                        Steven L. Gotz Community Member

Because DV AVI is 720X480.

So don't do that.

It depends on the footage. You might want to export to an uncompressed codec like Quicktime Animation, or Lagarith.

Or, you might get away with exporting at about the same settings as you started with. Use H.264 at a bitrate equal to the original. My camera, for example, records H.264 so exporting to that and re-diting looks just fine if I am careful to avoid doing anything to degrade it much.

Perhaps you should tell us the long story. There might be a better way to do what you want. Unless it is a matter of having very long clips, with only a little useful footage, that needs to be sent over the Internet to another editor. If that is the case, it still might be better to send a snail mail package with a SSD. Or as I said, use a very high quality H.264 file that edits easily in Premiere Pro.

• 10. Re: Why are my videos being resized when exported?
                          jahZ Community Member

thanks man,

i will have to check out this 'lagarith'  i have a PC so quicktime animation isn't an option for me right now (i think i can download the codec or something though right>? but have to pay for it>?)  anyway i always thought uncompressed AVI was my only uncompressed option ... interesting idea about adjusting an h.264 codec to match the original content, do you think i would find the bitrate information in the metadata for each clip?

Thanks!

• 11. Re: Why are my videos being resized when exported?
                            Ann Bens ACP/MVPs

If you install quicktime you will get the all the codecs incl animation.

• 12. Re: Why are my videos being resized when exported?
                              Steven L. Gotz Community Member

I know what bitrate I shoot at, but if you are using footage from other cameras, then go to MediaInfo and download the free program. Drop any clip on it and it will tell you the bitrate and lots of other things about the video.

For example. I shot this clip at 72Mb/s (according to the settings on my Panasonic GH3) and it looks like this:

Capture.PNG