• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why are there two versions of flash player on my laptop?

Mar 14, 2012 Mar 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running 64 bit Windows 7 Professional which seems to handle both 32 and 64 bit software.  I use Firefox as my default browser and use MSIE only when I must. 

A Flash update failed so I checked the uninstall programs list thinking I'll just uninstall and reinstall the latest.

Huh?  I found both "Flash Player 10 Active X" and "Flash Player 11 Plugin 64 bit."  Now I've no clue what failed to upgrade nor why there are two versions.  Why 10 AND 11 and why is one called "Active X" while the other is called "Plugin". 

And, to confuse me further, there is also Adobe AIR.  I don't know what or why or how to deal with all of these.  Would somebody kindly explain?

And, how do I figure out what update to which failed?

frustratedfrequently

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand what you mean by "un-mark this discussion as a question," it is a question, in fact it contains a few questions.  I don't know where to post it.  This forum is also confusing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving this discussion to the Installing Flash Player forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The ActiveX Flash Player is used by Internet Explorer and the plug-in Flash Player is used by Firefox.

Download the following files:

Uninstaller for 64 bit Operating Systems

Flash Player for Internet Explorer

Flash Player for other browsers

Close the browser and disconnect from the Internet.  Run the uninstaller and restart Windows.

Delete all remaining files and folders located in the following directories. (tip: copy and paste these paths into the path bar in an Windows Explorer window) 

• C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash 
  • C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash 
  • %appdata%\Adobe\Flash Player 
  • %appdata%\Macromedia\Flash Player

Verify that the file “FlashPlayerCPLApp.cpl” in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ system, has been deleted.

Run both installers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines