32 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2012 4:19 AM by Harm Millaard

New Video Workstation PC Spec - Any advice on my new build?? Thanks

lordloco79

Afternoon one and all!

Firstly, thanks to Harm for your very wise advice on going for those old Xeon X5690 chips and half usable 590-GTX which would have all been such useless additions to my new system!

Anyway, with that in mind - I have just specced out a new PC (with my limited knowledge) and wanted to run it past some of you helpful people here just in case I have chosen any pitfalls that could be avoided before ordering the new kit.

This machine will be used for editing AVCHD and native Canon DSLR footage, a lot of green/blue screen compositing, colour grading, multi-cam editing (3-4 cameras normally), and then animations and effects with After Effects.

It is basically a Fujitsu Celsius R920 (i work for Fujitsu so am somewhat limited to choices here and there...) and this is the list of internal bits and bobs that matter for video work...

• MSI nVidia 580-GTX Twin Frozr II GPU
      • Dual Xeon E5-2640 2.5GHz 15MB Turbo Boost (6 physical cores each)
      • 48GB RAM (6X 8GB DDR3-1600 rg ECC)
      • SSD SATA III 512GB high speed drive (for OS & CS5.5)
      • 7X HDD SAS 600GB 10k 6G 2.5" (Not sure on config yet)
      • SAS Controller D2607
      • Blu-ray Disc Triple Writer SATA
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Adobe CS5.5

Any advice would be great, and I will hope that no response means its OK to go ahead with!

CHEERS for all your help in advance

Bradley

• 1. Re: New Video Workstation PC Spec - Any advice on my new build?? Thanks
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          • Change the E5-2640 to E5-2690.
          • Increase RAM to 8 x 8 GB to profit from the quad memory architecture.
          • You can save money (needed for the 2690's) by lowering SSD capacity to 128 GB or there abouts. 512 GB is a waste of space and money.
          • Check those disks. If they are Velociraptors, are are better off with large capacity 7200 disks. If they are SCSI disks, you are better off with 15K models.
          • Don't know about the SAS controller, but it looks like just a simple backplane, not a raid controller and the one one the mobo is pretty slow.
          • Get a big tower. That Celsius R920 is only a mid-tower and will cause heat problems with all those disks, being filled to the rim.

I suggest a case like this, with some expansion room for the future:

Magnum TH10.png

These remarks are solely based on your specs. I really think you can get much better BFTB by looking at a DIY build with an i7-3930K and overclock it.

Mind you, the E5-2690 is over $ 2 K apiece, an i7-3930K is around $ 500, the dual CPU mobo is way more expensive than a simple X79 mobo, the ECC memory is way harder to get and more expensive.

FYI, I'm looking at the case above for my new system, possibly with two PSU's.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: New Video Workstation PC Spec - Any advice on my new build?? Thanks
            Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

The SAS controller is a simple SAS controller based on the LSI 2008 chip

"D2607 SAS/SATA RAID controller The Fujitsu D2607 SAS/SATA RAID controller, based on the LSI SAS2008, offers small businesses exactly the low-cost data safety unit which they have been looking for. The D2607 enables increased read/write performance thanks to its RAID 0, 1 and 10 implementation".