10 Replies Latest reply: Mar 19, 2012 1:32 PM by AboveBeyond1111111 RSS

Naming Page's in Page Panel?

AboveBeyond1111111 Community Member

Is there a way to name the pages in the Pages Panel?  Since I am linking to dozens of pages, it's hard to identify which page contains which document.

• 1. Re: Naming Page's in Page Panel?
          Eugene Tyson CommunityMVP

Not really.

The Links Panel lets  you sort by page number. And the filename is associated to the Link.

If you click the link you get a wider scope of that link.

• 2. Re: Naming Page's in Page Panel?
            Jeffrey_Smith Community Member

Since I am linking to dozens of pages

Linking in the sense of creating hyperlinks to pages? If so, I would suggest linking to a text anchor instead of a page number/name. In the event of adding or removing pages, links to specific pages will be rendered useless.

• 3. Re: Naming Page's in Page Panel?

Thanks for the help guys.

Jeffrey_smith:  That sounds ideally what I need.  Thanks!

• 4. Re: Naming Page's in Page Panel?

What about naming Hyperlinks?  Now that I've used Text Anchors to link pages, I have dozens of Hyperlink that aren't helpful to distinguish what they are since it's just "Hyperlink 1, Hyperlink 2, Hyperlink 3".  Ideally I want to rename hyperlinks to something like "Table of Content, 1. Oranges, etc.".

I have something similar below setup in my document.  Each number in the table of content links to the corresponding page.  I would like to name the hyperlinks so it's easier to tell what's link to what.

Table of Content

1.  Oranges

2.  Grapes

3.  Apples

1.  Oranges

2.  Grapes

3.  Apples

Thanks for any help!

• 5. Re: Naming Page's in Page Panel?

This is a two step process, first define your destination(text anchor), then define the hyperlink, here is an example:

Go to page 1(not TOC page), with text cursor highlight/select "1. Orange" Then from the Hyperlinks Panel > flyout > New Hyperlink Destination > Type: Text Anchor + Name: This will autoplace the selected text, which in this case is "1. Orange"

Repeat for Grapes + Apples

Go to TOC page, with text cursor highlight/select "1. Orange" Then from the Hyperlinks Panel > flyout > New Hyperlink > Link To: Text Anchor + Destination Text Anchor: the pull down will have all of your text anchors, for this select hyperlink, select "1. Orange"

Repeat for Grapes + Apples

• 6. Re: Naming Page's in Page Panel?

I see what's happening here.  I am putting Rectange Frames around each section (so "1. Oranges") and then linking the Rectange Frames to the Text Achor.  That's why it's showing up as "Hyperlink 1, 2, 3, etc".  I am doing this because the document is used on iPads so it's easier to clink on links if there's a frame around the word as opposed to just linking the words.

Is there a work around to this so I can see the hyperlink names and still use the Rectange Frames?

Again, thanks for your reply Jeff!

• 7. Re: Naming Page's in Page Panel?

The method I described, you can select a visible rectangle appearance and some different highlights (when link is clicked in pdf).

You can create the hyperlinks with separate rectangles, but this may be harder to manage if you are adding or deleting various toc entries, and then you have to manually adjust the hyperlink rectangle.

• 8. Re: Naming Page's in Page Panel?

Regardless if you use text or an object for a hyperlink, you still need to create the destination first. Once this is completed, all the destinations will be in pull down menu:

links.jpg

• 9. Re: Naming Page's in Page Panel?

And I see what you are talking about: once you create a hyperlink with an object, the entry name into the hyperlink panel is generic. The method of selecting text will auto populate the name of the hyperlink with what you have selected.

• 10. Re: Naming Page's in Page Panel?

Exactly.  I am considering linking through the text field rather than the Rectangle Frame since it will be unmanageable to identify which links to what when I have 100+ links.