• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Air + New iPad (iPad 3) retina display, any idea? any one?

Mar 16, 2012 Mar 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have tried countless amount of times to turn it on, I mean, how can I run my app on the new ipad at 2048x1536, it is always scaling up the app content times 2 and if I try to scale down the whole stage >> 1 (or / 2) of course all images looks blury and horrible, any idea? any one?

something very interesting to mention is that apps made in Adobe Air looks looks slightly better on iPad2 than iPad3, because the whole content of the air app is being scaled x 2, especially on vector content like Textfields fonts, etc... this is weird, it doesn't seem to happen on native apps.

any thoughts about this?

thanks.

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My new iPad didn't arrive yet, but one difference between what you are doing and what a native app is doing is that you may be using regular fonts and native apps are using device fonts. How is the quality of the text if you use _sans as the font?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, thanks for answering... let's forget about what I said about fonts, etc... I am just trying to make it work, make my app run at 2048x1536 instead of (1024x768 scaled x 2), any thoughts? cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll know for sure in a few hours, but I expecting that if you set requestedDisplayResolution to 'high', you would get 960x640 on iPhone 4, and 2048x1536 on the new iPad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, thanks! let me know if you find anything, I wish it is as simple as that, set requestedDisplayResolution to 'high'... I have tried absolutely everything. desperated I ahve even tried setting the new images acording to apple, it shows the launch image (at the correct size) and when it initializes the app, goes back to 1024x768 and scale it up...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh man ...  Just unboxed my iPad3 ...    loaded up my app.  It looks like complete crap.

The world has known about the iPad resolution increase for months...   please tell me there is a fix to this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the layout wrong? Does it look like an iPhone size image blown up? I would have thought that it should look at least as good as the iPad 1.

Still no sign of Mr Fedex here, so I can't check for myself yet!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried out our Air app on it and it really looks fine.  We use pngs for a number of buttons and also display pictures. That all looks as good as iPad 1.  The labels and text buttons are perhaps a little "fuzzy" compared to iPad 1, but nothing near a deal breaker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought it would be a bitmap issue.

Are we talking like old ipad apps are now acting like running an iphone app on an ipad with that little (2x) button? Doubling the size and getting all blurry?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its not as bad as the 2X button.

It's basically the regular iPad version running on the new iPad.  What my concern is .. is that I have a lot of stageWebView elements... and all of these look fantastic with all the HD support.  What looks horrible is seeing those screens on the same stage as my now low res PNG's and Text.

Please Adobe fix this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no 2x button, it is more like running a 3GS optimized app on an iPhone 4.

I could see how a mismatch of some HD elements and some not could look bad, but for many use cases I think the current Air implementation will work for a while.  That being said, I'm also looking forward to an SDK update that build out to iPad 3 resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys! it is not too bad, but if you pay attention on it, Aobe Air apps looks slightly better on ipad1 and ipad2. the whole Flash content is being scaled x2 on the new ipad (ipad3) which is not too bad, now... all I am trying to do is running my app compatible to 5.1 retina display on this ipad, which means, I want to run my app 100% scale (not forced 200%) and place a bitmap on the stage 2048x1536 covering the whole screen, and it needs to look ultra-mega-fantastic! any ideas? any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think all we need for now before any new CSx version... is make the ADT look at something like this <requestedDisplayResolution>ultra-high</requestedDisplayResolution> so we can make proper apps for the new ipad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, 3 cheers for those who are vendors and know their clients are going to open budgets to update their precious apps for the new screen. And, sorry folks, for the people who's own app is being tarnished by this. I'm sure Adobe fille fix this as we're all anticipating CS6. CS5.5 is already so antiquated it's almost going to be a complete mandatory update anyhow and Adobe (as well as us) KNEW the new ipad would have retina. No worries..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a screenshot of my name in the credits part of a Flash app. The top half of the image is the new iPad at life size, the bottom half is the iPad 2 at 200%, to make them the same size:

http://xfiles.funnygarbage.com/~colinholgate/images/ipadtext.png

This wasn't built using the 5.1 SDK trick. The text was set to _serif, in the hope that would then use the device fonts. I'll try another test with fields that have regular embedded fonts.

It could be that the 2X scaling on the new iPad is better than the 2X scaling in Preview. Or, it may be that the device font is being used. Whatever the case, the lettering looks like it has more detail.

I'm using renderMode=direct, and with that the performance is similar to the iPad 2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i posted banch of comperecent screens in other thread.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4272566#4272566

No solutions though on fixing issues on not perefect images, even with vector

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To run at iPad retina resolution you have to set the requestedDisplayResolution to high and link to the iOS 5.1 sdk when compiling your app - use the -platformsdk compiler setting to do that. -platformsdk only works if compiling on MacOS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, thanks RichardLord.  I'm trying that now.  Do you know if linking it to the iOS 5.1 sdk results in making the app only compatible with 5.1 and higher?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2012 Mar 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jamie, it will still be compatible with lesser versions of iOS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RichardLord, I have tried your solution without success.  I set the requestedDisplayResolution to high, added the IOS5.1 SDK on the Native Extensions dialog (Flash Builder 4.6), substituted my background graphic and a couple others with retina iPad artwork, and added a 144px icon. 

The first thing I found was that I can't actually do a 144px icon, but it seems to permit use of a retina iPhone 114px icon and that looks pretty good.

The second thing I found is that all my elements are being stretched despite being set to NO_SCALE.  This includes the high-res artwork.

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2012 Mar 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

acrowne - I didn't use the native extensions dialog in Flash Builder, I used the command line to build the .ipa. I also used the Air 3.2 SDK but I don't expect that is a factor. I only built the project I am currently working on. The difference when compiling against iOS 5.1 was distinct with vector graphics clearly rendered at a higher resolution than when compiling against iOS 5.0 or when running on an iPad2. I didn't have time to do more and the iPad is at work so I can't investigate further today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does your command line look like, when you do the actual build?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not use the command line, but rather Flash Builder's interface.  But reading Adobe's support materials, I gather that in the Native Extensions dialog, setting the Apple iOS SDK is the equivalent of setting -platformsdk. So I set that value to point to my copy of the iPhoneOS5.1.sdk.  Below is my sample project code.  In the application descriptor file, the only thing I changed from the default is my project id to match the provisioning profile and adding <requestedDisplayResolution>high</requestedDisplayResolution> to the iPhone xml tag.  I tested this out on my iPhone 4 and it worked great.  On the new iPad only the top corner of the image appears on the screen because of the scale.  I am using AIR 3.1, so unless the 3.2 beta includes a fix, it seems that Adobe needs to produce an update before AIR supports the new iPad's display.  Please tell me if you find anything I missed.

package

{

import flash.display.Sprite;

import flash.display.StageAlign;

import flash.display.StageScaleMode;

import flash.display.Bitmap;

public class RetinaTest extends Sprite

{

[Embed(source="bgd@2x~ipad.png")]

private var bgdImg:Class;

private var bgd:Bitmap;

public function RetinaTest()

{

super();

// support autoOrients

stage.align = StageAlign.TOP_LEFT;

stage.scaleMode = StageScaleMode.NO_SCALE;

bgd = new bgdImg();

addChild(bgd);

}

}

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2012 Mar 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I confirmed my test this morning. Specifying the iOS 5.1. sdk in the platformsdk setting works. I wrote a blog post with details of the test - http://www.richardlord.net/blog/using-the-ipad-retina-display-with-adobe-air

acrowne - Don't know why yours doesn't work. All I can think is perhaps Flash Builder ignores the platform sdk if you don't have any native extensions that need it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it doesn't sound complicated, it most be something really simple to do ... all we need is downloading the new Adobe Air 3.2.00000000000001 which acepts <requestedDisplayResolution>ultra-high</requestedDisplayResolution> lol!!! crossing fingers, this day is gonna be monday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines