Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 9 crashes frequently when saving or save all

New Here ,
Mar 19, 2012 Mar 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'll try to give as much information as possible on this and hopefully someone will know a solution. If you need anymore information that

I mght have forgotten, I'll gladly supply it.

So, the basic problem is that RoboHelp 9 frequently crashes when I do a save or save all. 4 out of 5 times it won't crash, but usually after a few

successful saves it will crash. And it crashes even more frequently when I insert an image, usually right after I insert the image and then save.

So, here's the deal. The Sr. Tech Writer and I are both working on a small RoboHelp project that will demo a new Web Help Center for

our company's customer facing website. There is already a very old Web Help Center on the website that was created with an older version

of RoboHelp, and we're seeking to update that project. This involves importing the old HTML files from the old project into RoboHelp 9, and

updating the existing files. We have two main project files at the moment and we are working out of a shared network folder. I know normally

that working out of a network folder would be the issue, but his project has not given him any problems at all. My project is the only one that crashes when I try to save it.

I honestly think it has something to do with the images, because we have to use SnagIt to take new screenshots. At first, I saved the screenshots to

the SnagIt folder, but I thought that may be causing a problem in that RoboHelp couldn't save them in that location. So, I moved all the new screenshots associated with the

project into the project folder and saved every new screenshot into the project folder. I also amde sure that none of the images were anywhere else in the local and network drive.

That didn't solve the issue.

I hope this makes snese. I don't know what else to try. If anyone knows another method I could try I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community

Man, I wish I had but a single nickel for every time I've seen someone in the forums say "it has worked just fine for years on the network, so it can't possibly be that. But oh, we are suddenly having all these issues..."

The bottom line here is that you need to move the project from the network to the local C drive. Just try it. Won't take but a few moments to do. See if the crashes disappear.

Odds are they will!

And you will see an additional side benefit. RoboHelp will seem so much snappier as you work with it!

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact that one project works on your network does not mean another one will. The two are making different demands and your project is asking too much. Have you tried moving the project locally, deleting the CPD and then working locally?

I think blaming SnagIt is rather like blaming Shell because you had their petrol/gas in the car at the time you crashed the car.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried moving the entire project to local C and deleting CPD. It's still crashing on me when I save and save all. Could it be memory space issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2012 Mar 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How much memory does your machine have? I doubt that is the cause though unless it is very low.

The problem may have been caused by the project being on the network or it may have happened anyway. Nonetheless it has to be fixed so it seems to be time for the old divide and conquer approach.

Zip up the project so you have a copy that cannot accidentally be opened and worked on. That gives you a copy that you can safely revert to later if needed. Save the zip file somewhere safe.

Then create another copy of the project so that you have two copies that can be worked on.

Open Copy 1 and delete half the topics. Ignore any broken links reported. Generate the help from that copy.

Open Copy 2 and delete the other half of the topics. Generate the help from that copy.

It should be the case that one copy is now OK and one still has the problem.

Trash the good copy and then create a second copy of the copy with the problem.

Repeat the process until you have located the topic that is causing the problem.

The process takes less time than you might think.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp