• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.PDF File Association for All User Profiles

New Here ,
Mar 19, 2012 Mar 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I am currently working on a deployment of Adobe Acrobat X Professional.  The deployment works folllowing this process:

• Remove Foxit Reader
  • Install Adobe Acrobat X Professional (Which removes Adobe Acrobat 8)
  • Run command >>> assoc .pdf = "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe" "%1"

Foxit removes itself fine, Acrobat 8 gets removed, and Acrobat X is installed, the only issue is PDF files are not associated with Acrobat X.  If you choose to open the pdf in a browser it opens in Acrobat fine, but if you have a PDF saved somewhere it pops up asking what program to open it with.

I am looking for a way to associate PDF files with Adobe Acrobat X Professional across all user profiles.  I thought the command assoc .pdf = "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe" "%1" was going to be my solution but it does not work, even though it runs fine.

Any ideas / advice is greatly appreciated, even if you point out that I am doing something complety incorrect.

Thanks,

Larry

TOPICS
Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pdf\OpenWithList

This should contain Acrobat.exe

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Acrobat.exe\shell\Open\command  -> Default String = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe" "%1"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That key does exist, and I even made sure that Acrobat.exe is the only key that exists. 

However it still pops up on other user profiles asking if you want to open it with Adobe Acrobat X ("Choose the program you want to use to open this file").  Attached is a screenshot.  Basically I would like a script that essentially checks the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" box but apply that for all users.PDF-File-Association.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried all of those steps.  None of them solved this for all of the users on the PC.  Besides that first one looks like it deals with fixing EXE and LNK file associations; whereas these are not the issue, I can open Acrobat fine (EXE file association) and I can open a shortcut to acrobat fine (LNK file association) it is PDFs that are missing the file association.  The icon cache did not seem to work for any user account (local or network or the user i was logged in as when i did the steps).

I really need a script that I can push through SCCM that will fix this file association.  Therefore after Acrobat X Professional is installed I will run that script which will associate PDFs with Acrobat X.

This issue is quite confusing because Windows knows that Acrobat X can open PDFs it just does not set it as the default.  In my customized install I have checked the box to set Acrobat X as the default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2012 Jun 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, not sure if you had the right command there... ftype and assoc are used for associations. .pdf should have the value:

C:\Users>assoc .pdf

.pdf=AcroExch.Document

To associate with Acrobat use ftype:

ftype AcroExch.Document="C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe" "%1"

Cheers,

Simon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines