3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 21, 2012 3:33 PM by joe_3d RSS

Possible to have multiple views for one scene?

joe_3d Community Member

Away3D allows multiple Views to be created for one Scene, allowing different camera positions for the same geometry.

Can Proscenium support this? I've been banging my head against a brick wall for a while now...

Joe

• 1. Re: Possible to have multiple views for one scene?
          kopaacabana

Hi,

Have you tried something with : scene.activeCamera ?

If you create a SceneCamera and assign on scene.activeCamera, is it works ?

var cam:SceneCamera = new SceneCamera("Camera2");

scene.activeCamera = cam;

Problem with Proscenium, no documentations, no community, no support, no answers from Adobe Team !!! But great render !

• 2. Re: Possible to have multiple views for one scene?
            joe_3d Community Member

Hi Kopaacabana,

(I  feel like I'm in one of those post-apocalyptic scenes where the last two humans left on earth finally meet.....)

Thanks for answering!

Yes, I've actually got two cameras quite happily working in the scene, the problem is that I need to re-use the geometry for the scene in two windows, or at least, two separate parts of one window simultaneously. Away3D can do it very easily, where one sets up a 'View', which has a 'Scene' it views. With Proscenium it seems that the whole thing is tied up with an Instance3D, which is fine for one camera, but the scene nodes seem tied up as children of some root scene node. I've tried assigning the scene data as a child of two instances of BasicScene (hacking the stage3ds[number] to be different for each), but that causes an exception.

Just changing the activeCamera changes the view to the new camera, where I actually need to be able to render to two windows/screen areas from one set of geometry.

I would have hoped that the paradigm would have been 'here is some geometry, lights, etc., now do with it what you will'

Adobe, are you there to help us out, like, anyone at all? Are we wasting our time with this?

Joe

• 3. Re: Possible to have multiple views for one scene?
              joe_3d Community Member

Okay, I can do it with Away3D easily.

( I didn't type it 3 times, there is just an echo in here....)

The Away3D model is that one creates a view, that view has a camera, and also has a reference to some geometry instances (ie, meshes). This seems to be a good way of doing things. It is not obvious that Proscenium does it this way. I've tried to get my head around exactly the way that it works, but without source to BasicScene and some documentation it is going to be more trouble than it is worth. I'd have hoped Adobe could have given some updates since October, but alas, no.

For what it's worth, if Adobe isn't looking at what its users are doing with Proscenium, I'd have to wonder if they are going to can the whole thing?

Joe