Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

generate topics from a linked Word document failes

Mar 07, 2012 Mar 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH 9: Every time I try to generate topics from a linked Word document, RH failes and has to be shut. How do I solve this problem? or is this a bug in the application?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2012 Mar 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any specific errors it throws? Particular RH and Word version? Does it happen on a new project or just an existing one? How complex is the Word doc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 20, 2012 Mar 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a linked MS Word document that is 5 pages long.  I perform the "Update" successfully and see it as a topic in my project. But, I would like to automatically break it into multiple topics per Heading 1 breaks, but don't know how.  Is this what you are doing?  I'm using RH9 and Word 2010

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use "Pagination" in the Conversion Settings screen. You tell it what style to use to bust up your doc into RH topics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no Conversion Settings screen.  Here are the steps I took:

1. Created a new RH9 project.  

2. Right-clicked in the Project Manager and selected "Link | Word Document."  (The message "scanning" appeared and then the MS Word document I selected appeared as an MSWord doc in the project folder.)

3. Once all editing was finalized, I right-clicked on the MSWord doc in the Project Manager and selected "Update."

There was no Conversion Settings screen.  The MSWord doc now appeared as a single HTML topic in Project Manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I think it's in the Project Settings > Edit Word docs screen. I know that's where it's at in the FM docs I import. Set it before pulling in the Word doc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The process of linking is covered on my site.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For ease of referencing on the forum ---  When you "Update" a linked document, RH9 follows the conversion settings for MS Word documents pre-defined in the following menu: "File | Project Settings | Import | Word Document".

(Didnt realize it was the same for linked docs)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp