17 Replies Latest reply: Mar 20, 2012 2:29 PM by P Spier RSS

Printing problem or preferences? help pls

Diazstyle12

-Hi guys it's been 4 days that i am trying to figure out the problem that i have but i cant find a solution. So i need your help pls.. i am using indesign cs5 at my work place and when i print my document ( a  newspaper about 10 pages) the pages number show up on top of the pages ( or spread). I dont want then show up , i only want all my pages (spread) show up without numbering).. i even didnt put them on my document.whereas when i print a single page i dont have this problem

-The other thing is when i am using facing pages and i print my document i have an effect on my page around the border and i dont want that either...

Please anyone can help .. We just started using it ( we were using PageMaker and that was working fine)

• 1. Re: Printing problem or preferences? help pls
          P Spier CommunityMVP

Are the page numbers visible on screen?

Generally speaking page numbers don't magically appear by themselves. Often the number markeer will be included in a text frame on the master page. If the numbers are NOT visible on screen, however, it's possible they are being included as page information as part of the output. Check the Marks and Bleeds section of the output dialog.

• 2. Re: Printing problem or preferences? help pls
            Diazstyle12 Community Member

hi Peter thanks for responding

The page number is not visible on the screen .. When i go  on the master page it is blank.  I only have the page  and the guide that i create...

And  when i go to the printing option  Marks and Bleeds are grey out...

The thing is when i create  a new document lets say 5 pages ( only i go to  create new document and let everything as a default and hit ok)

and i fill randon text and then print it out i have the same probleme...

i have the numbers 1 to 5 on top of my spread) i checked on the output in the printing dialog box and everything seems to be oki...

I dont understand....:(

• 3. Re: Printing problem or preferences? help pls
              P Spier CommunityMVP

Are you printing from a PDF, or direct from the .indd file?

Can you show me a screen capture (in InDesign) of the top of the page and the pasteboard area above it in the regaion where the numbers how up in your prints, please? You can use the camera icon on the web page to embed an image in your post like this:

CameraIcon.png

• 4. Re: Printing problem or preferences? help pls

PRINT.JPGPRINT1.JPG

Oki this is the screenshot  and  i put where the number prints out...

i am printing from .indd file ( directly from indesign)

• 5. Re: Printing problem or preferences? help pls

This is my Master page..

as you see there is nothing its blankMasterPage.JPG

• 6. Re: Printing problem or preferences? help pls
                    P Spier CommunityMVP

It woudl be good if you could show me that agaion, but without the added numbers. And just to be sure, please use the Selection tool to drag a selection marquee around that area on the pastboard to make sure there really are no frames there.

I'd also like to see the marks and bleeds panel of your print dialog.

Are you printing to film to make plates, direct to plates, or direct to paper? What sort of printing device?

• 7. Re: Printing problem or preferences? help pls

oki here we go..

print2.JPGprint3.JPGprint4.JPGprint5.JPGprint6.JPG

i am using direct to paper  and the divice that i am using is a photocopieur printer ( i mean print photocopy scan and so one). it is a RICOH

• 8. Re: Printing problem or preferences? help pls

the master page is :

masterrr page.JPG

• 9. Re: Printing problem or preferences? help pls
                          P Spier CommunityMVP

Seeing two pages per sheet in the print diaslog makes me think there is a setting inthe driver that you use to get that. I'd look in the driver for the page number, too. I don't see any evidence, as you say, that ID is adding it, which pretty much only leaves the printer itself.

• 10. Re: Printing problem or preferences? help pls

yeah it is weird tho..

I will try to do some research on the driver setting...

i dont understand nothing... if you print only single page the numbering doesnt show up..

when you put facing pages  i get the pb i dont konw  why..

But  thank you for you help  i do appreciated..

if  u have  ideas dont hesitate to shoot me a text ..

Thanks  again..

• 11. Re: Printing problem or preferences? help pls
                              Bo LeBeau Community Member

In the print dialog you have thumbnails turned on to print 2up.

If you uncheck the thumbnails box and then go to the Marks and Bleed section you will see that you have Page Information checked.

When you have the thumbnails checked, the Marks and Bleed will be completely grayed out like you show above.

Just tried this myself. The tipoff was the Thumbnails checkbox..

• 12. Re: Printing problem or preferences? help pls
                                P Spier CommunityMVP

AH! Thumbnails. Good catch. I never print thumbnails...

• 13. Re: Printing problem or preferences? help pls

Hi there, thank you Bo LeBeau for your participation..

you are right When you have the thumbnails checked, the Marks and Bleed will be grayed out.

I tested it before  but without the Thumnail checked i can't have the printing that i want.. Let me explain you in details what i mean

when i dont check the thumbnail and i print yeah i dont have the numbering page but i won't have also the 2 pages( or the one spread) in the same paper.

look at the picture below:

1.JPG

as you see there is no numbering page.. but i have only one page on the whole paper ( i use 11in by 17in) and i would like to have

the spread in this paper ( i mean 2 pages one next to the other).

But when i use the option thumbnail i have the hole spread ( the 2 pages) on the paper but with the numbering and the border effect as well...

( i scanned the result that i have after printing so that u can see it)

2.JPG

you see the result now, i have the numbering and the border around ( i dont want the numbering to show up)..

So any ideas??

Thanks in advance

• 14. Re: Printing problem or preferences? help pls
                                    P Spier CommunityMVP

So the real problem is that you want to print two-up spreads, right? Have you tried using Print Booklet?

What size is the layout page size, and what size sheet are you printing on?

• 15. Re: Printing problem or preferences? help pls

hi Peter,

yep i want yo print two- up spread...

nope i didnt use print booklet ,actually  I dont know what Print Booklet is

the size of my layout is 8.5 in by 11in  ( see picture below)

3.JPG

the size of the sheet is 11in by 17 in.

how can i do the printing in order to have the spread in the paper...

• 16. Re: Printing problem or preferences? help pls

hi peter ...

i finally figured out  with your help.

i should ve used print booklet.... it is way easier.. i didnt know that feature. All i was doing was using print and then thumbnail..

so i ve tried the print booklet and yean with some modification in my doc should be fine..

Thank you very very much cauz without your help dont think that i will find it soon... it maybe would take more time to figured out..

so thanks again ..

• 17. Re: Printing problem or preferences? help pls
                                          P Spier CommunityMVP

Print booklet has many advantages over thumbnails. The biggest is you can impose (arrange) the pages for assembly so the are in the correct order if you are using multiple sheets (4, 8, 12, 16... pages -- needs to be a multiple of 4) and the first and and last page will print next to each other , then page two and the next to last on the back of that sheet, and so forth (choose 2-up saddle stitch). To get the same order you are getting from thumbnails, use 2-up consecutive. If you don't have a duplexing printer (two-sided print capability), on Windows it's really easy to print a PDF that you can manually flip when you print from Acrobat, if you have Acrobat Pro and the AdobePDF virtual printer. On Snow Leapard and later, theough, it's a royal pain to get a PDF from Print Booklet.