Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

General questions from an absolute beginner

New Here ,
Mar 20, 2012 Mar 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

my employer would like to have me set up an online help for our software product. Since I am in the process of converting the current documentation to FrameMaker I have lightly issued the idea to use RoboHelp since we have the technical communications suite 2... I am saying "lightly" because I am freaking out a bit ever since I have tried getting into it, needless to say I have not been very successful and I was not able to find any "classroom in a book"-like help. I didnt find the Adobe help section for RoboHelp very... helpful, I just felt overwhelmed with all the information i didn't feel I needed at the point I was at. Is there a step by step documentation of some sorts for the absolute beginner who does not even have any xml or html skills worth mentioning (I am not sure to what extend those might be needed)?

Also from an advanced user's point of view, how developed will my html/xml skills have to be in order to really understand and get the best of this program? Depending on this I might or might not be able to book a class but it won't be of any use if i need skills I dont have (yet) in order to even understand the program. In the worst case I might have to do some research on alternatives, although I feel stupid, since the tool is available and im not sure if better alternatives would be easier to use as well...

I am happy for any advice, thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are some good webinar recordings on the Adobe Tech Comm Suite blog on linking/importing FM content into RH. I would just try playing with it to see how it works for you with a copy of the FM content and a fresh RH project (located on your c:\projects\project_name folder). You can't hurt anything then in your "real" content. Delete the RH project and start again any time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

right now the problem is more "Getting Started" and im sure once I am at the point where I need to import the FM content this will be a helpful suggestion! But for now I was more wondering on whether there was a step-by-step thingy to help me get into it to begin with and whether i need a lot of xml/html to use RoboHelp...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe TV and Adobe Technical Communications blog does have a lot of "Getting Started" stuff and is well worth taking the time out to watch. If this still doesn't give you what you need, there is little option but to go on a training course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thank you, then I will try that and hope for the best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might want to get some training eventually on CSS (cascading style sheets) as that aspect controls how your output looks, but it isn't necessary to get started.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Jeff, I appreciate that advice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp