38 Replies Latest reply: Apr 7, 2012 11:31 AM by Bluephy RSS

Printing Separations - Acrobat Pro 10 not an option?

Bluephy

I have InDesign CS5.5 on a MAC OS X and need to print separations.  However, in the print panel, the "print to" Acrobat PDF is not available as an option, and thus, I do not get the option to print seps. Also, PostScript does not show that option either.  And since I have an inkjet printer, its drivers will not recognize separations - the reason why I need to "print to PDF" so each color sep will print, complete with spot color name. Now... I could go back to my PC and use CS4 and I think it will work... but I would rather skip that step and just use cs5.5 on my Mac. Thanks for any ASAP help.

• 1. Re: Printing Separations - Acrobat Pro 10 not an option?
          Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

I think you'll find instructions down in the comments of this post for adding print to postscript capability so you can distill your seps: InDesignSecrets » Blog Archive » Acrobat’s Adobe PDF Printer Replaced in Snow Leopard

• 2. Re: Printing Separations - Acrobat Pro 10 not an option?
            Bluephy Community Member

Peter,

Thanks for the reply.  However, is this via printing from ID's file->print->printer->print to adobe PDF?  Its not there.  the "adobe pdf" as a printer choice does not show.  Perhaps this is a workaround that I am not understanding or I didnt exlpin my situation good enough.  They are talking about Acrobat 9 also, and I have 10... as well as OS X 10.7.something...  Sooo... Im not sure.  Sigh.

Also, just discovered I cannot print seps from my PC either... because I do not have the PC version of the fonts that I am using.  Double sigh.

• 3. Re: Printing Separations - Acrobat Pro 10 not an option?
              Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

You have to read the comments to see how to add the AdobePDF or Acrobat 9 ppd (I'm on Windows, so I don't remember the details exactly). Then you can print to file, and fianlly distill the file you printed.

• 4. Re: Printing Separations - Acrobat Pro 10 not an option?
                Manish-Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi,

If you need the Acrobat 9 ppd , then follow these steps:-

1. Quit InDesign.

2. Navigate to /Applications/Adobe Indesign CS5/Presets/.     

3. Within the Presets", folder Create a folder called PPDs (the folder name is case-sensitive).

4. Control-click the following link and choose Save Link As to download the Acrobat 9 PPD:

5. Place a copy of the downloaded PPD into the folder you created in step 3.

then when you will open the indesign and go to File>Print

choose printer as "postscript file" , you will be able to choose the PPD as "adobe 9 pdf" , after that you will be able to print in seperations.

• 5. Re: Printing Separations - Acrobat Pro 10 not an option?
                  Bluephy Community Member

Thanks Manish,

Are you saying that I need to use Adobe 9 pdf?  I have Adobe Pro 10.  Im assuming I could possbly use the same technique and use Adobe Pro 10?

I'll have to check this out later.

• 6. Re: Printing Separations - Acrobat Pro 10 not an option?

Yes , but you will not be able to locate the Acrobat 10 ppd as it was not provided.

When you install the Acrobat 10 then the adobe pdf printer doesn't get installed , it was used to happen in the older version hence the ppd for acrobat 10 is not present.

• 7. Re: Printing Separations - Acrobat Pro 10 not an option?
                      Bluephy Community Member

This is not the correct answer.  It is not showing up.  I have Adobe Acrobat Pro 10.  CS5.5.  I have followed the instructions.

• 8. Re: Printing Separations - Acrobat Pro 10 not an option?
                        Steve Werner ACP/MVPs

You are wrong. There is no Acrobat X printer provided by Adobe for Snow Leopard and Lion and future MacOs X OS.

• 9. Re: Printing Separations - Acrobat Pro 10 not an option?
                          Bluephy Community Member

Steve, I am assuming you are speaking to Manish_1988 about being wrong.  Because I am not wrong. I have Acrobat X, but... not PPD... boo. So now what do I do to get this to print seperations so I can print it on my Canon IX6520 through a PDF file made via "printing to pdf"?  From what I am gathering through my searches, there is no cure for this, no procedure.  I would hope, in that case, that I am incorrect, but it makes me a bit upset that the feature is gone.  Especially after I just bought a new Mac Pro and Adobe CS5.5 Design Standard.  Thats a huge chunk of money for me, and I would expect it to work the same.  And if there is no workaround, I am doubly upset.  Besides buying a printer for the ability to print separations.  Hmm. Makes me wonder if this was a ploy by Adobe to make me have to buy a new printer.  For that, I am incressingly more upset.  Along with all the printer Ink expenses, and not being able to print if one cartridge runs "out" of ink...  I digress....

It is apparent, it seems, that this is not possible, to print separations on an Ink Jet printer via PDF seps if you have Acrobat X and CS5.5 with OS 10.7.2.  Quite disturbing, if you ask me.

• 10. Re: Printing Separations - Acrobat Pro 10 not an option?
                            Steve Werner ACP/MVPs

No, Bluephy, I'm saying you're wrong. You were given a workaround for installing the Acrobat 9 PPD. You're just too bull headed to listen to people who are trying to help you.

• 11. Re: Printing Separations - Acrobat Pro 10 not an option?
                              BobLevine UGM

Okay, since noboody else asked, I will.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish by printing separations to an ink jet printer?

Bob

• 12. Re: Printing Separations - Acrobat Pro 10 not an option?
                                rob day MVP

Are you Distilling the Postscript file?

When you select PostScript and the Acrobat 9 PPD you'll get a Save not Print button. Should look like this if you've correctly installed the Acrobat 9 PPD:

Screen shot 2012-03-20 at 10.03.19 AM.png

After you distill the postscript file you'll have a separated PDF which you can print from any version of Acrobat

Screen shot 2012-03-20 at 10.05.55 AM.png

• 13. Re: Printing Separations - Acrobat Pro 10 not an option?
                                  Bluephy Community Member

Steve Werner said: "No, Bluephy, I'm saying you're wrong. You were given a workaround for installing the Acrobat 9 PPD. You're just too bull headed to listen to people who are trying to help you."

Well, Steve, no, I am not.  I have attempted EXACTLY what everyone has suggested thus far, and it has not worked.  Looks like you are the one being bullheaded here, and quite frankly, unkind.  Your response is unecessary and unprofessional.

• 14. Re: Printing Separations - Acrobat Pro 10 not an option?
                                    Bluephy Community Member

Bob Levine,

Thank you for asking.  I need to print seps from my inkjet printer for representation.  My printer does not print seps, and I assume because it is an Inkjet, or because its drivers will not support this.  I am using Spot Colors.  So, I am able to print seps from my PC, the way I am describing, to a PDF, so each page has the separation of each color.  Like what Rob Day has so kindly shown.  Thank you Rob!  But, after trying the suggested routes, and being called bullheaded, I still am not seeing Adobe PDF 9.0.  Which makes me wonder if Adobe PDF X (10) will not allow this.

So, the only thing I can think of is to somehow revert to Adobe PDF 9.0?

And I apologize if I am coming across as bullheaded... as some seem to think. I dont claim to know much.  But all I know is that its not working so far. 

• 15. Re: Printing Separations - Acrobat Pro 10 not an option?
                                      Bluephy Community Member

Rob,

Thanks for the attention.  I appreciate you doing that.  That is exactly the windows I would like to see.  What I am trying to accomplish.  However, the workaround does not seem to be working since I have Acrobat Pro 10 (X)...  is my guess.

Im willing to wager if I could somehow revert to Acrobat 9, then all would be fine.

• 16. Re: Printing Separations - Acrobat Pro 10 not an option?
                                        rob day MVP

So, the only thing I can think of is to somehow revert to Adobe PDF 9.0?

The issue is with OSX. I'm using Acrobat 8 and can't do it—you would have to go back to 10.5 and even then I'm not sure you can skip the Distiller step with a non postscript printer

• 17. Re: Printing Separations - Acrobat Pro 10 not an option?
                                          Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

I'm guessing you didn't really take the time to read the article I linked a couple of days ago. Buried in the comments, among other valuable information, is this link: http://a.imagehost.org/download/0880/en_lproj that leads to a zip file that contains many ppd files, including the Acrobat 9 ppd that you need. You'll also find fairly good directions in some old posts here, I think, if you search.

• 18. Re: Printing Separations - Acrobat Pro 10 not an option?
                                            rob day MVP

However, the workaround does not seem to be working since I have Acrobat Pro 10 (X)...  is my guess.

What do you get when you distill the postscript?

• 19. Re: Printing Separations - Acrobat Pro 10 not an option?
                                              Bluephy Community Member

Peter, yes.  I did.  I attempted it, even though I have Adobe Acrobat Pro 10 (X), which I have been stating over and over again.  I appreciate you trying to help me, though.  I honestly have been trying everyones suggestions.  And from some of those comments I read on your link, it appears that there are many problems with this particular subject.

And I really dont know why people are assuming that Im not doing what people are trying to tell me to do.  Its just not working.  Why Im being called names, too.  Im having a very bad experience here so far, and its not my fault.  I AM INDEED listening.  Otherwise I wouldnt have come here.

• 20. Re: Printing Separations - Acrobat Pro 10 not an option?
                                                Bluephy Community Member

Rob, could you clarify that question for me?  Im not sure what you mean by distill.  I think I will talk to you only.  You seem to be the nice one around here that seems willing to work with me rather than assume that you have the right answer right off the batt.  When I have time later, I will procure some screen captures of whats happening.  Maybe I will even show that I have attempted what others are suggersting, yet assuming that Im not trying.

• 21. Re: Printing Separations - Acrobat Pro 10 not an option?
                                                  BobLevine UGM

Have you tried just printing to the Postscript file with the generic postscript printer PPD?

Bob

• 22. Re: Printing Separations - Acrobat Pro 10 not an option?
                                                    rob day MVP

The PPD (not to be confused with PDF) you choose isn't related to your version of Acrobat. In my screen capture (#12), I'm saving postscript via the Acrobat 9 PPD and Distilling with Acrobat 8 without any problems.

• 23. Re: Printing Separations - Acrobat Pro 10 not an option?
                                                      rob day MVP

You do have to install the Acrobat 9.0 PPD as others have suggested. Note that in Manish's step 4 make sure you Control-click and Save Link As—a click will take you to the PPD's code.

When you save the Postscript, open Acrobat Distiller and open your saved .ps file. If you have set Color to Separations in the ID print dialog I think the default Distiller options will give you separated pages. Distiller also lets you set up hot folders, so that any postscript file saved to the folder automatically gets converted to a PDF.

• 24. Re: Printing Separations - Acrobat Pro 10 not an option?
                                                        rob day MVP

Bob, with OSX as soon as you choose PostScript the print button changes to Save. All my printers are Postscript so I've never had a reason to Print to PDF, but I don't think there's ever been a way to avoid DIstiller for something like this.

• 25. Re: Printing Separations - Acrobat Pro 10 not an option?

@bluephy.....

Have a look on the link which is the Kb article by Adobe in which it explains that the Acrobat 9.1 update will remove the Adobe pdf printer on Mac os snow lopard.

http://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/cant-print-pdfs-mac-os.html

and on the same basis the Acrobat X doesn't create the Adobe PDF printer and also doesn't provide Adobe 10 ppd.

This is not the change that came up with the Acrobat 10 , it started with the acrobat 9.1 update.

That was the reason i went ahead and provided you the workaround wherein you can have the Acrobat 9 ppd and can make the postscript file using the Indesign Print option. Once you will distill this .ps(postscript file) using Acrobat Distiller then it will make the pdf which can be used for printing from any application that suppport PDF.

Having Acrobat X application and having the Acrobat X PPD is completely different, PPD is the driver that is used to drive the Application for printing the PDF or Postscript. However it is Acrobat X is the appliaction .

On MAC,  the print as PDF was removed and Save as PDF was introduced, The steps I gave you are the workaround just because Acobat X ppd is not there, You could use the Acrobat 9 PPD to make the postscript and then convert(Distill) it to PDF as robday posted.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------

When You are following the steps please be aware of these things:-

---PPD's folder you craete under the /Applications/Adobe Indesign CS5/Presets/ is Case-Sensitive.

---Download the PPD file on the desktop first.

---Once saved the file, the name of the file should be "ADPDF9.PPD" , sometime on MAC some addtional text or extension gets added automatically while downloading the file.)PLEASE CHECK THE FILENAME AND EXTENSION

---Copy the file to the Corrct folder.

--Re-open the Indesign and then check.

• 26. Re: Printing Separations - Acrobat Pro 10 not an option?
                                                            BobLevine UGM

Oh yes, I know that. But I thought the problem here was simply not having the Acrobat PPD.

I’m really guessing here but simply creating the postscript using the generic PPD should probably be fine since it’s only being printed from an inkjet printer.

Bob

• 27. Re: Printing Separations - Acrobat Pro 10 not an option?
                                                              rob day MVP

I need to print seps from my inkjet printer for representation.  My printer does not print seps, and I assume because it is an Inkjet, or because its drivers will not support this.  I am using Spot Colors.

If all your colors are spot, you could try using Ink Manager to Alias the spots to a "hidden" color and simulate a separation. Here I have two Pantone spots and a third spot color called Hidden, which is an RGB white. To print the Yellow sep I alias the Orange color to Hidden, and for the Orange sep I alias Yellow to the Hidden color. This wouldn't work if you need to show an overprint:

Screen shot 2012-03-20 at 3.12.08 PM.png

Screen shot 2012-03-20 at 3.12.45 PM.png

Screen shot 2012-03-20 at 3.20.34 PM.png

• 28. Re: Printing Separations - Acrobat Pro 10 not an option?
                                                                Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

Bluephy wrote:

Rob, could you clarify that question for me?  Im not sure what you mean by distill.

I think that's the crux of the problem. On Mac making the PDF is now a two-step process. First you must make the postscript (that's waht the PPD file is for -- it describes the PDF device), THEN you must open that postcritpt file in Distiller, a module of Acrobat Pro, and distill the PDF. The old print to PDF was just a shortcut that did the saveing of the psotscript and running through distiller for you in the background.

• 29. Re: Printing Separations - Acrobat Pro 10 not an option?
                                                                  Bluephy Community Member

Bob Levine wrote:

Have you tried just printing to the Postscript file with the generic postscript printer PPD?

Bob

Bob

Yes I have attempted that.  It saved as a full color cmyk.  I need the seps though. Im gonna keep plugging away at the suggestions here.  I may be missing something.

• 30. Re: Printing Separations - Acrobat Pro 10 not an option?
                                                                    Bluephy Community Member

rob day wrote:

The PPD (not to be confused with PDF) you choose isn't related to your version of Acrobat. In my screen capture (#12), I'm saving postscript via the Acrobat 9 PPD and Distilling with Acrobat 8 without any problems.

Rob.  Thank you.   I think I understand that, but may have not communicated that correctly.  The Acrobat 9 PPD is not showing up as an option.  I will look down the thread at the newly revised detailed suggestions and see how far I can get.

• 31. Re: Printing Separations - Acrobat Pro 10 not an option?
                                                                      Bluephy Community Member

Ok.  I do have the Acrobat 9 PPD in the right spot I think.  Correct?

Screen Shot 2012-03-20 at 5.32.37 PM.png

Now I try in InDesign (where I was used to the PPD being) and this is what I see:

Screen Shot 2012-03-20 at 5.14.56 PM.png

Note: Where it says "Color: CMYK", thats where I used to see the Separations option.  After I was able to choose the Adobe PPD in the "PPD:" drop down menu. Here is what I get when I choose that to make a selection:

Screen Shot 2012-03-20 at 5.34.29 PM.png

It is device independent.

Now... I have saved as a postscript.  The project comes up as a CMYK. As such:

Screen Shot 2012-03-20 at 5.49.56 PM.png

From here, the postscript file opens as a PDF and is locked.

I am at a loss as to what to do to get the seps to save to PDF.  I have yet to be able to find that option.  Hmm.  I will keep trying and look more.  Thought I would share where I was at.  Sorry for being so difficult.  Thanks again, for all the help and patience.

• 32. Re: Printing Separations - Acrobat Pro 10 not an option?
                                                                        Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

You have to choose the Adobe PDF ppd, not device independent, in the dropdown. If it doesn't show up, try re-booting, and if it still isn't there you probably don't have the PPD in the right place.

• 33. Re: Printing Separations - Acrobat Pro 10 not an option?
                                                                          Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

I checked that article at ID secrets again, and the commenst say, regarding the location of the PPD: Copy it back to “Library > Printers > PPDs > Contents > Resources

• 34. Re: Printing Separations - Acrobat Pro 10 not an option?

@bluephy

You haven't followed the steps properly...sorry to say.

In the screen shot by you , the adpdf9.ppd is under "PPD" .....However it should be PPD's----same to same with the case-sensitivity.

Just rename the folder PPD to PPD's and it's gonna work for you.

I can bet on it.

• 35. Re: Printing Separations - Acrobat Pro 10 not an option?
                                                                              Steve Werner ACP/MVPs

Manish:

It's "PPDs" NOT "PPD's" (no apostrophe).

• 36. Re: Printing Separations - Acrobat Pro 10 not an option?

Yes, steve you are right my mistake....

I think I lost the bet.

@bluephy

Just rename the folder PPD to PPDs(no apostrophe) and it's gonna work for you.

• 37. Re: Printing Separations - Acrobat Pro 10 not an option?
                                                                                  Bluephy Community Member

Manish_1988 wrote:

...

@bluephy

Just rename the folder PPD to PPDs(no apostrophe) and it's gonna work for you.

Thanks Manish_1988.  I will try that.  I am at work (day job) currently.  Also have had some other unfortunate events take place, so I will probably not get to this untill late tonight or tomorrow depending.  I will let you know the results.

Thanks for all your help!

• 38. Re: Printing Separations - Acrobat Pro 10 not an option?
                                                                                    Bluephy Community Member

Sorry to all that I have not responded sooner.  Some unfortunate events came up.  I was finally able to get to the seperations for PDF - PPD: Adobe PDF 9.0.  The option is now there for me to print seps to a PDF!  Awesome! Thanks so much for all of your help.  It was indeed that I named the folder "PPD" in error, and not correctly as "PPDs"!