• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Conditional Builds based on User Audience (i.e., roles and access to host application)

Mar 19, 2012 Mar 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am tasked with creating non context-sensitive HTML help for a .net windows app running over Citrix.  The app has many user roles (varying admins from app level to product/region level, underwriters, UW assistants, actuaries, etc.), who all get access to specific functions based on their login/profile, with no single user having access to all or even most functions.  They want the help file to open showing only the content that relates to the user's profile, so an admin would only see admin specific help topics etc.   They want all this in a single version of one .chm so they don't have any maintenance headaches.  Can this be done and if so, how?  How can I get the help to display only a subset of the TOC and associated topics based on the users login credentials? 

Thanks! 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 21, 2012 Mar 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I'm thinking this is an impossible request.

Upon reading the requirements, I was thinking that you will need a unique CHM for each group. There is no way I'm aware of to force multiple Tables of Contents structures within a single CHM file and have them display based on a context sensitive call.

Certainly you can keep all information inside a single project, then use conditional build tags to govern which type of output you produce (admin/app level/etc.) and that may help by having it all in one project, but I'm really not seeing a way around the use of multiple outputs that allow changing what the end user sees. At least, not using a CHM.

If you could use WebHelp, you could create a merged WebHelp setup and control access at the folder level. I've seen that done. Then again, you are still working with multiple outputs to achieve it, albeit all of them being in sort of the same location. Additionally, it would also mean splitting up the project into smaller projects that would become child projects of a parent.

Not sure if this helps, but I tried... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 21, 2012 Mar 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp