18 Replies Latest reply: Nov 12, 2013 11:20 AM by imjeffp RSS

Clips deleted from Project, but still showing on timeline

sebrame Community Member

While archiving a project in CS5.5, I first clicked 'Remove Unused' to trim out all the dead weight. Strangely enough, this removed ALL of my footage clips. Even stranger is the fact that nothing is showing as 'offline'. The timeline still plays with all the clips that were in it. When I select a clip in the timeline and click 'Reveal in Project', it can't because there is absolutely no video footage in the Project Window. There are no previews either, for the entire timeline has a red bar, and the selection to 'Delete Render Files' isn't even available because there are no previews.

I went ahead and did a 'Collect Files and Copy to New Location'. The sequences are intact with clips showing, but there are absolutely no AVI(Cineform) clips in the 'Copied' folder.

If I find the media for a clip in the timeline, and rename it, I start PPro again and the clip shows as offline. So it's still referencing the media, even without a clip for it being in the Project Window. And no, my Project pane isn't filtered.

• 1. Re: Clips deleted from Project, but still showing on timeline
          lasvideo Community Member

Its very difficult to read your message. How about reposting without the highlight or whatever that is

• 2. Re: Clips deleted from Project, but still showing on timeline
            SCAPsinger Community Member

If you select all of the text in his post you'll be able to read it better.

• 3. Re: Clips deleted from Project, but still showing on timeline
              SCAPsinger Community Member

Make sure you are not in a subfolder of your project window.

Otherwise, if that's not the issue, I don't know what would have caused that.

• 4. Re: Clips deleted from Project, but still showing on timeline
                sebrame Community Member

Sorry for the highlight, or whatever that was. Had to copy and paste into Notepad, then copy and paste below to eliminate it. I think my suite is haunted.

While archiving a project in CS5.5, I first clicked 'Remove Unused' to trim out all the dead weight. Strangely enough, this removed ALL of my footage clips. Even stranger is the fact that nothing is showing as 'offline'. The timeline still plays with all the clips that were in it. When I select a clip in the timeline and click 'Reveal in Project', it can't because there is absolutely no video footage in the Project Window. There are no previews either, for the entire timeline has a red bar, and the selection to 'Delete Render Files' isn't even available because there are no previews.

I went ahead and did a 'Collect Files and Copy to New Location'. The sequences are intact with clips showing, but there are absolutely no AVI(Cineform) clips in the 'Copied' folder.

If I find the media for a clip in the timeline, and rename it, I start PPro again and the clip shows as offline. So it's still referencing the media, even without a clip for it being in the Project Window. And no, my Project pane isn't filtered.

• 5. Re: Clips deleted from Project, but still showing on timeline
                  sebrame Community Member

Nope...not in a subfolder or bin in the Project Window. Still...even if I were and clicked 'Reveal in Project' for a clip it would still show that clip in it's bin.

• 6. Re: Clips deleted from Project, but still showing on timeline
                    chesterr_mizik Community Member

The issue would be a project specific issue if you are not able to replicate that onto a new project.

Just the project file itself that has gone corrupt.

Certainly not a bug in the product !

• 7. Re: Clips deleted from Project, but still showing on timeline
                      Stan Jones MVP

Here's the OP without the highlighting:

Nope...not in a subfolder or bin in the Project Window. Still...even if I were and clicked 'Reveal in Project' for a clip it would still show that clip in it's bin.

Since what you are describing is not possible (!), we've got to keep pressing a bit on the bins. "Not filtered" - okay, but how do you know you are not inside an empty bin?

Yes, reveal in project should find the clip. I find that fascinating. What happens instead of highlighting the clip in the bin?

Changing the actual clip file name is a good test, and does show that the clip on the timeline is still seeing the file.

This reminds me of importing a sequence from another project, and discovering that all the same clips are actually duplicates, with no connecton to each other. The clips in one sequence, that are from the same files as other clips, are in a different bin in the project panel.

But, find in project should find them.

If a corrupted project, what happens if you import this project into a new one?

I wonder about a cineform issue.

• 8. Re: Clips deleted from Project, but still showing on timeline
                        sebrame Community Member

"Since what you are describing is not possible (!),"

Au contraire!

"What happens instead of highlighting the clip in the bin?"

Absolutely nothing. Trust me, the project is very small, and I have search all the bins...they ain't there.

Spent a while with Adobe Tech Support this afternoon with a Connect session. Ended up being passed around to his group. The best that they could come up with was that the Media Database had some corruption that left out certain clips even though the Database was still able to reference the media files directly from the hard drive. Strange, but apparently I'm the only one who has ever had this happen. Lucky me.

It's funny, usually it's the other way around - the media goes offline even though the clip is still in it's bin. Well, if it's gonna happen, it'll happen to me.

• 9. Re: Clips deleted from Project, but still showing on timeline