• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

flash player won't install despite...?

Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2012 Mar 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last time I had problems installing flash player with an HP DC5000 desktop, I was directed to this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/928315

which worked for that unit, this time I am trying to install flash player in a Dell Optiplex 170L followed the same procedures in that thread and same error message as in previous case "failed to initialze", this desktop uns XP Pro SP3 and IE8, help please?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if it shows Flash as not being installed on this page: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html run the uninstaller before you proceed further with the installation.

Also, disable your AV since it probably incorporates a file scanner which can interfere with both the uninstall procedure as well as the installation. If you have AVAST, right click the orange icon in systray, go to "AVAST Shields Control" and choose to disable all shields for one hour.

If you use another AV, consult the following site which lists other AV and how to disable them: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic114351.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed the steps in the first link I gave to the letter, I ran the uninstaller then deleted the remaing files from the Macromedia folder then try to reinstall but it's not installing giving the error mentioned, I do not have an av on this pc as I just reloaded the XP Pro SP3 on it, it is something on this pc itself becuase I had absolutely no problems on another identical pc fater reloading the same OS, anything else I can try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Presumably, you're choosing "Run" when you see the prompt. Try choosing "Save" and save it somewhere you can find it again easily.

Can you download it using another browser? I use Firefox myself, so that's what I'd I'd like you try first of all. Save the file somewhere you can find it again and then right click it and go to Properties. The file size should show as exactly 16,157,992 bytes. See screenshot. If it's any less than that, then it didn't download properly. If you can only see "Firefox Setup 11.0.exe.PART", then I know what the problem is.

01.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded it via FF from cnet.com the name of the file reads "install_flashplayer11x32_mssd_aih" and the file size shows as 761kb [779,608bytes]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting confused myself here. Sorry. The screenshot I posted refers to Firefox, not Flash of course. There's no way for me to delete it now though.

The file you downloaded is a helper file. It's not the full installer. You can download the latter from here:

In both cases, remove the checkmark from McAfee! You don't want that junk on your machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did what you said here:

, this file size shows 760kb and smae error message?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried donwloading direct from Adobe's site and the file size shows the exact same 761kb?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mikehende wrote:

I just tried donwloading direct from Adobe's site and the file size shows the exact same 761kb?

See my post with download links above yours. the file size is 3.59MB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure I understand? I download from your link here?

Flash player for Internet Explorer only: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/ (choose your OS, then choose Internet Explorer from the dropdowns).

is that the correct link?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mikehende wrote:

Not sure I understand? I download from your link here?

Flash player for Internet Explorer only: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/ (choose your OS, then choose Internet Explorer from the dropdowns).

is that the correct link?

Yes, that's correct. Choose your operating system i.e. Windows XP SP3 in Step #1 and Internet Explorer in Step #2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's exactly what i did, step one, the option for

Select an Operating System  is Windows7 [32-bit]/vista/XP/2008/2003

Select a version is Flash player 11 for internet explorer [32bit]

when downloaded the files size is showing 760kb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I see the problem. Seems like it doesn't match the file size it tells you it is.

OK, you can get it from here: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html#Install_in_a_...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

works now, can't thank you enough!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines