Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Plug-in security updates

Mar 22, 2012 Mar 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When there is a critical security patch update, I always see a link to download the latest Flash Player security update.  But I do not see any specific link to security updates for Flash Player Plug-in for Other Browsers.  Why is that?  Does Flash Player security update download cover both the Active-X (IE) and Plug-in (Firefox and other browsers)?  Perhaps I do not understand how Flash Player is related to the Active-X version and the Plug-in version.  Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the security bulletin covers both plugins. ActiveX is a Microsoft technology which in relation to Adobe Flash player, refers to the component which runs in Internet Explorer. Other browsers like Firefox, Opera, Safari etc., don't support ActiveX which is why a separate plugin in required. However, the security aspect addresses vulnerabilities in all browsers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still not understanding this clearly.  Here's why.  When there is a security patch update....you go to the update page....you just see downloads for Adobe Flash Player.  You do not see anything that says Adobe Flash Plug-in for Other Browsers.  So, where odes one download the security update for the Plug-in for Other Browsers version? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use Internet Explorer, you'll get the plugin for that. If you use any other browser, then you'll get the other plugin instead.

But you can do it manually if you wish: http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/alternates/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, when there is a security update to Flash Player, I need to go diretly to the link above?  Usually security alerts direct me to a page that simply states Flash Player without any indication whether it is the IE one or the Plug-in one. 

Some users here use both IE and Firefox.  Usually when a security alert has been given, the link is to the security updates for Flash Player page.  On that page no indication is made as to whether it is for IE or Other Browsers.  That is why I was not aware of the link you provided. 

When a security alert is made for Adobe Flash Player, is it a certainty that it would involve / apply to both the IE and Plug-in version? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's because the web page detects the browser being used and therefore displays the appropriate download. If you want to see what a website detects when you visit a page, go to this site: http://whatsmyuseragent.com/

I think it's fair to say that users of other browsers don't use IE very much. You still need it to go to the Windows Update site if you use Windows XP, but Vista/7 can update via Control Panel, so IE is superfluous in that environment. I still haven't installed Flash in IE myself yet.

Here's the latest Adobe bulletin for the Flash vulnerability in case it helps: http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb12-05.html

And here's some background info for you: http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Adobe-updates-Flash-Player-closing-more-critical-holes-14...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines