Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FB 4.6 files are huge

Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2012 Mar 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I just exported my first 'Hello World' Android App with FB 4.6 captive runtime. The first thing I noticed is that the file size is huge for what this provides (over 20mb when running on the phone). This is a big concern for my application development, so I started digging into the .apk file (it's really a zip file) and found the largest file was /lib/armeabi-v7a/libCore.so (15mb) and was tied to the Air Captive Runtime functionality. Is there a way we can make this file size smaller? All of the apps I have installed and are complete run about 3-15mb when running. Our concern is that users will start noticing this large file size and will uninstall to keep things clean on their mobile device.

-Greg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2012 Mar 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This has been discussed in other parts of the forum.

There is also a bug opened to Adobe (for iOS, actually), that has been closed as "deferred".

No-one so far has found a solution for making binary files smaller.

I believe this is the price to pay to have a "universal" platform that allows you to develop for different devices with the same code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2012 Mar 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hear you, I just think it'd be nice to have a captive runtime that only adds the necessary libraries the application is requiring, rather than all of them.

I ran my 'hello world' app on my old iPod touch, and it uses 98% cpu to switch between views (each view has one button to go back to a white screen with a few buttons). I love how Flash Builder Structures the View based application, and I hope there's a bright future ahead of it;but for me, if I were to develop with it at this point is to not care about the users who would use my app.  By the way, I am a flash developer - so it pains me to say all of this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2012 Mar 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great news!

from developer news page in Apple

Higher Limit for Over-the-Air Downloads

Mar 20, 2012

Great apps come in all sizes. If you happen to offer a larger app, we’ve made it even easier for App Store customers to get your app wherever they are. We’ve raised the Wi-Fi download requirement from 20 MB to 50 MB so customers can download apps up to 50 MB in size over their cellular data network.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2013 Jul 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm having the same issue and haven't been able to find a solution. I've built two simple android applications in FB 4.6 and when I package them, the apk files never seem to be less then 9mb. Like you, when I explored the apk, /lib/armeabi-v7a/libCore.so was the largest file. Since you first posted, have you found a way to produce a smaller apk?

TJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2013 Jul 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We ended up building our app natively. Our final decision came down to a few factors, but we ultimately weren't sure about the performance of our app once all the elements and sections were built out. Given we were under a tight deadline, we weren't confident using Flex would be a good fit for us for a large data driven app.  I think it was the right decision, because at the end of the day our app weighs in at about 12 mb.

We are re-evaluating using Flash/Flex for a simple mobile game, which I think will be a bit more successful. The reason for this is that our requirements had changed to having a similar experience on the web as well as mobile devices.  Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines